Sign in to follow this  
Guhaad

Is this GUY crazy, hrazy, or neither

Guhaad   

"Beyond the Rainbows" is a great introductory book written by a well-known Somali author in Mindiyobooliis, his name shall be withheld for no apparent reason, about the Somalis in Minnesota. the book is for Americans who are interested in knowing more about the traditions, values, norms, customs, and history of the Somalis.

the new edition of the book with its extended version has in it something that has bothered me. Somewhere along those pages, there is a hand drawn picture of a naked lady. the aim of the picture is to show the deformed private parts of the Somali women;

the worrying part is was it not enough to have discussed the issue than to have drawn it out? i just can't imagine this picture being in Honeywell headquarters or in a temporary agency, some Americans saying that Xaliimo must really be like this and that. Do you think this guy did the right thing?

haven't we suffered enough?

He did the right thing because that is the truth, most Xalimos'private parts are indeed deformed and the "cutting" and "sewing" are still going on anywhere in the World.

The practice hasn't stopped and according to World Health Organisation, it will going on for the next 3 generations because even though some people speak against, it will take some time to change somalians' mentality. :(

Let the whole World know about our plight and misery. It's time to shame somalian people. It might work as a deterrent.

If he truly drew it (as you said) in his book, he must be another deformed Faarax, I say. Why else would he choose to shame the innocent for scars that were inflicted upon them?

Are the Xaliimos responsible for damages they played no part in causing it? No. Don’t tell me it is because the grandma’s adamant and unyielding stance on it. It is the culture that did it to them. Hopefully, in due time, that culture will be reformed.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Why else would he choose to shame the innocent for scars that were inflicted upon them?

Is this specific to FGM or do you reckon all people with diseases or deformities are offended by pictures of the same?

I c no problems with the drawing of large pictures for those who cant visualise it or understand the severity of it... like myself.

Guhaad   

I believe so Jimcaale.

i am surprised the sisters were not offended or outraged at the drawing by the author. I was bothered by this drawing because it seemed like it was not intended to show the severity of the problem or to stop its recurrency but to freely display, mostly in search of recognition, these pictures to people it does not concern. that is why i ask what good this pictures will do in American offices, schools, and work places except embarrass us and our sisters, like we haven't had enough or suffered even more.

The only good this pictures could do is help hospitals that are dealing with patients who have the problem and are still living with it and God knows those people already heard and know enough.

I think if the guy really meant it, he could have found 101 other ways to get it across (BBC being one). remember this is our problem, not Americas. and unsurprisingly it is a problem that will have more weight in Somalia than in the West.

Amelia, I don't believe you don't object his drawings if they, as Kafaaxiye alleged, graphically depict disfigured parts of Xaliimos. And you said you might be one of his intended audiences, eh?

I note that you are one of those few blessed Xaliimos who happen to be intact, anatomically I mean, but I also hold all Somali women are surrounded by the emotional scars of FGM as they constantly come in contact with their affected sisters. Hence they don’t need to visualize the wound itself, it follows, to appreciate its impact. Unless you want challenge oday Xiin’s wisdom, as you usually do, you can’t be serious to wanna see that drawing.

facklexm   

Few years ago I read a book called crook rib written by a Somali guy, and I couldn’t believe the sexual detail he goes into, but drawing deformed private parts is wrong.

Xiin, we aren’t discussing me… but I can see how I left myself open for that little dig.

In anycase, I don’t know why it’s the boys who are all in arms about this. Are you ashamed? If so, good...we should all be. If drawing huge pictures of FGM would make our people recoil with shame, I'd advocate for it to be put on the billboard boards in NY central + every other paper, everyday.

FGM is a shameful practice, and one of the reasons its still ongoing is that people are too ashamed to talk about it, much less draw pictures of it. I'm all for exposing the backward, ignorant, cruel and barbaric practices in our society for the whole world to see... rotten is as rotten does.

p.s. Maybe you can explain the ‘wisdom’ behind ur objection good old xiin? ‘shame the innocent for scars that were inflicted upon them’ sounds vague, implausible, and unhelpful in the long journey to putting an end to this cultural disease.

For those of you who like sticking their heads in the sand, please leave the rest who are spreading the word (and pictures ;) ) alone.

Originally posted by Kafaaxiye:

haven't we suffered enough?

Isqor bilaa xanuun. What are you referring to? The pain of FGM or something other than that(the warring) which is irrelevant. Either way, puh-leeze.

Perhaps the pictures will do more for the Somalis. The writer no doubt is familar with nomads' inability to comprehend the written word, a picture will do the job for the incapable and reality-ignorers.

For the non-initiated it will serve as a shock and a lesson. Somalis'have a severe dislike of their shame being thrown into the public domain. I say what a move by the writer(intended or not), if shame pains them, then shame may get them to face their original shame.

Way to go Name Witheld.

K, what reason for keeping him anonymous?

Amelia, I have known you not to be a fickle (read: picky) and unless you insist on it, there wasn’t a ‘little dig’ in my post. The discussion is not about you nor do I intend to make it go that direction. It is unproductive.

As for your inquiry as to what my claimed wisdom is, a rhetorical question may suffice: how do you miss the wisdom of opposing creating new perceptions, and negative one at that, on poor Xalimos in the name of bringing attention to the FGM? It takes a village, as the cliché goes, to fight this bad culture of ours, you would agree, and parading the wounds of the affected sisters is a poor strategy to achieve that goal, me thinks.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

As for your inquiry as to what my claimed wisdom is, a rhetorical question may suffice: how do you miss the wisdom of opposing creating new perceptions, and negative one at that, on poor Xalimos in the name of bringing attention to the FGM?

Negative perception on the Xalimos as child-victims or as adult participators in keeping FGM going? Make yourself clear. The 'poor' suggests u're referring to them as victims. Negative perception of a victim is diabolical for it carries with it the warped belief that the victim had a hand in her own suffering. Why would people think this? And why should that stand in the way of progress?

It takes a village, as the cliché goes, to fight this bad culture of ours, you would agree, and parading the wounds of the affected sisters is a poor strategy to achieve that goal, me thinks.

I do not see a picture- is it real or drawn, K?- as a parade. What is your suggestion for the village? And if a village is being discussed- as in the book- why hide some matters and reveal others? Would that be an all-round book?

Oh, and you sure did take a dig at Amelia. She didn't explicitly say she was 'intact'. Women aren't made like men(duh), unless a woman takes a mirror to herself she won't know what's what, let alone how it compares to another woman, mutilated or not! The pictures help educate.

Ahhh .. The old FGM debate and yet more quirells amongst ourselves. This area is simply a classic demonstration of how us Somalis are simply good at un-productive debates ... shame on us all us ... it seems like all we really care about is whether the white man likes the story we tell them and whether we can get tat funding that actually never helps anyone ...

before u even attempt to tackle any particualar issue we should consider wheather 1st one is sincere enough about the work they wish to undertake and then whether one is actually capable of doing the task.

Now back to this issue.. if the author's aim was to create publicity surrounding his book.. then i say on good on him how did the rght ... but if he tries to say he did it to draw attention to the issue of FGM and eradicate such practice then he is far of the mark.

i must also add pictures are far more powerfull than words .. so i support anyone who use drawings to tackle this issue .. having this we all Muslims and the reason why am against FGM is because it is Islamically wrong and haram and would much prefer it if the campign against it id directed from the Mosques and Imaams take the lead ..