Sign in to follow this  
asha aviv

is accounting haram?

chubacka   

Asha, you will have to ask someone with islamic knowledge who will be able to give you a full and satisfactory answer.

I am not sure most ppl here know tax auditing is in the first place. (well i dnt anyway) redface.gif

I had a similar question, when I started working in the IT department of a large financial institution.

I mainly dealt with Administrating their computer network and servers. I discussed this with the sheikh of the local mosque.

As long as you are not involved in the signing or preparation of interest based contractsloans etc. it is not a prob.

perhaps someone more knowledgeable in Islam, could offer a more complete explanation

NGONGE   

^^ More knowledge in Islam but none in accounting is really no good either.

Asha,

Your questions don't make much sense! Accounting is a huge area and not all of it is directly involved with interest!

You're only talking about studying the subject but you don't even know what job you'll end up doing! Many of those that study accounting end up doing a job that has nothing to do with what they've studied.

ps

Why would tax auditing be haram?

Remember when you were at school (or are you still there?)?

Remember how every once in a while some old man/woman would appear and go sit in the back of the class and watch the lesson in progress! Those were called school inspectors, were they not? Their job was to see if the school was meeting its targets, following national rules/procedures and adopting the nationally approved curriculum.

A tax auditor (inspector) is the same. Their job is to ensure that companies and businesses follow the rules and pay the correct amount of tax. They're a pain in the backside and are the most tedious beings alive.

At any rate, and without wishing to issue a fatwa on the topic, I personally believe it is about the spirit of the thing and not the detail. You may be working in an area that involves having to work with interest but as long as you're not (personally) benefiting from the attainment of that interest nor is anyone being hurt by the payment of it, I really don't see what the problem could be. Still, the subject has been widely discussed by many knowledgeable scholars and I am sure you will find some answers if you googled. Just make sure you are clear in your mind of what your questions are first.