Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Dubai City of fake dreams.....

From the beginning I tried to make it clear

earlier Smith quote

I do not mean to insult nor, flatter the Arabs so please let me add some points regarding Dubai.

However some of the defenders of the Earth led by NGOON, made the claim in their opinion that the thread proved the long standing Somali envy of oil rich Arabia. It was at this point that I tried to reassure that this was not the case and in fact I was not an Arab basher. As the thread only gave my opinion on Dubai.

earlier Smith quote

I for one have always held the Arabs in high esteem for our noble Prophet (SCW) was born from this race. Their language is the language of heaven and of course the Somali’s are a kin to the Arabs.

However my trip and observation have been turned into a self-indulgent contest to prove how much we the Somali’s hate the success of the Arabs. Now if one down played the history, language, culture and temporal achievements of the race in question then by all means one has a problem. All I tried to do was give my observation of Dubai, which in my opinion is a city build on quicksand and which benefits the West more than it does the Arabs.

NGOON says

Still, the issue here is not Dubai or what the people of Dubai do; the issue is one of bandwagons.

NGOON and his self importance :D , it was him and the defenders who turned the thing into something else. The underlying message here is that the poor backward Somali’s have no right in analysing other cultures specially successful ones like the Gulf Arabs.

However, none of this explains the obsession many Somalis have with the Arabs in general and the Gulf States in particular! Why for instance did we have FOUR concurrent and long threads about the Arabs on this site?

Again Mr NGOON is consistent with his message and supports the point I made earlier, that the inferior Somali has no place in giving his own opinion specially one that might be seen as critical to “successful†nations in this example the UAE.

NGOON

I don’t want to guess or assume. I might be too much of a dreamer but I was under the impression that intelligent and rational people populated this site! So, when I read pieces that could have been written by the uninformed attendant in my local coffee shop, I can’t help but look down my nose at the whole thing.

:D:D:D

This is a classic NGOON diatribe, in which he puts down the whole argument while convincing himself that he is not one of the dumps, irrational, uninformed SOL members. Is all this to cover up the fact that the boy has no argument apart from messaging his overblown ego :D

I will finish with a

Quote from Brotha Man

What i fail to Understand, honestly i dont even want to know why, but i wonder why you have to come day in day out and 'defend' arabia when its not even neccesary to be defended, coz honestly, theres nothing mr smith said that needed defending, all he merely did was point out how fake dubai is. How and why you are ranting about somalis A B and C, Astonishes me.

OG_Girl   

Mr Smith, you went to Dubai and had your fun and waited for a long time before you started posting your master piece huh?!.

You talk about trade and go on to say you mind the one way trade the west have with the Arabs. Trade is about buying and selling, or exchange of goods. So the only thing the Arabs have is oil and they are selling that and the west are paying money for that. But the money on its own is nothing cause you need to eat and enjoy it and these is where the malls, Nikes, KFC and so on come in. One can have all the money in the world but if you dont buy goods with it, is worthless! Everybody needs Nike and their likes in this day and age,I am also sure you have one of these products in your house hold. So stop being hypocritical and attacking for the sake of attack. If you hate the West so much, what are you doing in their countries?

Arab money goes to the west.

Money makes money and so it has to go where ever it can make more money. Look at the American money is going to China and this is not a love for the starving Chinese people but to make more money for the Americans. So the Arabs will invest their money where ever they can make more money, just like you would live where you find peace and food.

For today the Muslim nation as a whole is in dire straits and the Arabs are being hunted worldwide

Is not only Arabs who are hunted but all Muslims and so stop making it unique to the Arabs. Plus, since Pakistan are so great to you and can defend their "dignity" why dont they defend their Muslims brothers/sisters, even better why dont they defend their own kind in Kashmir?

But where is Baghdad our capital[my place of birth], where is Al Quds our holly city?"

Baghdad is gone and you can stay here and cry or do something about it.

About Al-Aqsa people whom dying for are Arabs even thought is all Muslims' duty to fight for!Palastinians are Arab and Gulfians you attacking them are Arabs! If there is difference for you , they are same to me , they are "my" people :rolleyes:

I appreciate when you took the time to read my words and hear from locals like moi smile.gif

Moti, all I can say to you is have some blood :mad:

Salam

My thread is not an attack on Arab people, in these posts the term “Arab†is used exclusively to describe governments and systems. These posts are mainly about Dubai and the Gulf Arab states.

OG-Girl let me start by thanking you for your post. Indeed I had some fun in Dubai, after all I am human.

OG-Girl

“only thing the Arabs have is oil and they are selling that and the west are paying money for that.â€

You hit the nail on the head. Is it not disturbing that these Gulf States have existed half a century now and they only have Oil to trade with? Does this fact not show that they are failures? As you know fossil fuels will either run out or alternative sources of energy will be found. What then, will they do ,go back to the deserts and tend to their camels? :D

Does it not make you feel mad that, India “that starving nation†is technologically and millitarily superior to the whole Arab world?

It has sent its own satellites to space and has an army that’s not only formidable but equipped with nukes?

In terms of trade it is one way, their [Western] companies have a share in the Arab oil, while the Arabs have no siqnificant share in western brands. Did you know that Coca Cola and M&S give some of their profits to Israel? Would it not be good to get alternative brands local brands?

What I saw in Dubai, was a local population who did not have a care in the world. The question is will they be ready when the bubble burst?

Everybody needs Nike

Is that a fact, so without Nike, civilisation as we know it would end? :D

And lets not trivialise the subject by attacking my person. I do own western brands but that’s neither here nor there, for I know as an individual I contribute far less to the economy and well being of Zionist Israel than your beloved UAE. ;)

OG-Girl

Look at the American money is going to China and this is not a love for the starving Chinese people but to make more money for the Americans

I think you need to do more research on this dear, for the Peoples Republic of China is neither poor nor is it only getting US money. China is the world’s factory and the fastest growing economy on the planet. Shanghai makes Dubai look like a village and guess what it was built entirely by Chinese. The thing is China is growing technologically, economically and militarily and it does not kiss *** , so why do the Arabs?

Ever heard of HSBC, oh I know they got that in Dubai, who owns it? All the western brands you wear, where were they manufactured? These countries have used the western model and applied hard work and innovation to make it their own which has enabled them to stand on their own feet. While India and China want to lead the Gulf Arab folks want to be led.

OG-Girl

Pakistan are so great to you and can defend their "dignity" why don’t they defend their Muslims brothers/sisters, even better why don’t they defend their own kind in Kashmir?

Again hit the books, for without Mohamed Ali Jinna the founder of Pakistan, the Muslim’s of the Indian subcontinent would be under Hindu tyranny. Islamabad [oh what a name], already controls half of Jammu and Kashmir and now is negotiating with India to solve this complex problem. Compare and contrast this to the Middle East in which the whole Arabs are negotiating with Israel over 22% of historical Palestine. ;)

OG-Girl

Baghdad is gone and you can stay here and cry or do something about it.

One must start with analysing the problem, why we Muslim’s and specially Gulf Arabs are so dependent on the west when other states are not? understanding that Mogadishu, Dubai and Baghdad are intertwined and not separate could be a winndow of opportunity for all of us. The models available such as the Dubai one are not appropriate for the task ahead.

OG-Girl

About Al-Aqsa people whom dying for are Arabs even thought is all Muslims' duty to fight for! Palastinians are Arab and Gulfians you attacking them are Arabs! If there is difference for you , they are same to me , they are "my" people

I did not get the whole of the above statement. Let me try yes the Palestinians are Arabs, but their situation was made worse by selfish Gulf States as is the case of the Iraqi’s.

OG-Girl

I appreciate when you took the time to read my words and hear from locals like moi

Always my sister smile.gif

Caveman   

4 Furious pages in just two days on a thread that should really concern other’s.

As Somalis we are very far to be at a position to be judgmental of other’s. Either Arabs or non-Arabs, Muslims and non-Muslims and their worldly accomplishments or be critical of their deviation from Islam. Lets look at the mirror, our backyard is the epicenter of backwardness.

Salam

So far I have been an observer and can only say that observations are good as you often get to understand the psyche of the people and the individual way of thinking. If there are any mistakes made by the Arabs by improving their environment and inviting foreign investments to bolster their economy which apparently only depended on fossil oils, then kudos’ to them. They are doing what’s best for them and not for us Somalis. We shouldn’t meddle in other peoples businesses and maybe we should look closer to home than moan about what is of no great importance. To discuss issues of ok but to keep on ostracizing people of their success and wealth is way too narrow minded.

They deserve to find other means of investments and if that means making it a tourist heaven or modern American colony so be it as long as their citizen’s standard of living and religion aren’t interfered with or undermined. They deserve all the success that can come their way. As for people being treated badly, this happens in every society wherever one goes; there are always victims and poor people who are treated like badly. First responsibility of the Arab Sheikhdom is to its own people (Arabs) then to others. It’s their money to do as they wish and see fit.

We Somalis love what is westernized ourselves and you just have to look at the pride and jubilations that come about a result of holding a western passport coupled with the free education that is passed on to us without any cost and degrees that many here are so proud of. Now why people like Smith embrace this and yet get so mad about others enjoying the same privileges that you enjoy in your home (West)? Why are we so ready to point the finger all the time when we don’t even have the right to do so? After all we are like termites we damage everything that we come across and molest anything that’s good and turn it upside down. Why cant we seek knowledge and learn to be truly proud of what we can achieve rather than carry on eith this false pride that is only good for those who can talk and write and short in action. We won’t act but we would want to be at the forefront of that mirage that covers our minds with false illusions and pride. Why can’t we put our money where our mouths are.

Subconsciously we seem to think we are a success but in reality where do we stand?

We can only learn from our mistakes and not from pointing out others faults and failures. Well almost...

Blessed   

^^Wishful thinking my sweet brother.

Honestly; this topic is as over-rated as Somali politics. You'll never get anywhere …..

But anyway; did I tell you all that I'm planning to move to Dubai or preferably Abu Dhabi in the next year or so.. damn I need toget out of the UK before I go INSANE

If you live in this part of the world I Neeed you....

I work in education (no, I don't teach) and working on My TEFL certificate.. Hook me up, hook me up...! What’s the schooling system like? Do they have Guidance counselors in place…is this an area that’s under review? When do they start teaching English at school (age / grade) is there a News Paper devoted to education? is it available in English / online? is there teaching aprpoach similare to that of KSA?

I'm I getting on your nerves :D (I've no one else to ask) is there website that has this information…?

Thank you in advance...

I will finish with a

Quote from Brotha Man

What i fail to Understand, honestly i dont even want to know why, but i wonder why you have to come day in day out and 'defend' arabia when its not even neccesary to be defended, coz honestly, theres nothing mr smith said that needed defending, all he merely did was point out how fake dubai is. How and why you are ranting about somalis A B and C, Astonishes me.

[/QB]

You are not even required to ask for copy rights.

Nicely put sir.

you should read Ngoon's other responce on the arab thread, same gibberish different page. thgis time he even thinks you are not worth his reply(not to mention me). am guessing it had to do something with you quoting me or such.

oh well...One down , three shawarmas to go.

Diamante   

Posted by Mutakalim:

Wail away good Moralists. Should you persist in your ever-loud moral lamenting and howling, then you are bound to effect a desirable outcome.

this was probably the most sensible reply i have read in all the 4 pages devoted to this exhausted topic.

We Somalis love what is westernized ourselves and you just have to look at the pride and jubilations that come about a result of holding a western passport coupled with the free education that is passed on to us without any cost and degrees that many here are so proud of.

What has education and degrees got to do with being western? Speak for yourself brother regarding western society. For I grew up in the west, got a British passport and I do owe a debt to this Island and so do 250,000 fellow Somali’s who have found shelter here. Westerners did not invent education, or models for human progress this is a general human trait and in which they have taken ideas and concepts from many civilisations including the Islamic one. Arabic numerals are an example.

My point has not been to shun western systems and models. On the contrary one should learn from the west all that is beneficial and that can help ensure the survival of ones nation. Hard work, pluralistic society and educational and technological systems and models should be embraced. Instead what I witnessed in Dubai was the mimicking of western lifestyle in general in the areas of fashion, music the acquisition of luxury goods. Is this progress?

I think some here do not want to engage in the issues. The UAE, is a weak country that exists in a very tough neighbourhood, Iran and Israel and chaotic Iraq are all near. To make maters worse its population as I saw is wholly dependent on foreigner labour, now what should a Somali person envy from this?

As for matters of individual choice, I don’t mean to insult my people who live and work there or those like Ameena who want to move there. That’s not what this is about. When Insha Allah Somalia recovers we need to learn from the failures of our Arab kin in the Gulf, that’s the crust of the matter.

Haddad   

Originally posted by SmithNwestern:

250,000 fellow Somali’s who have found shelter here.

There aren't 250,000 Somalis in the UK. The number doesn't even reach 100,000. Last time I heard about such a number, it was hovering around 60,000.