Sign in to follow this  
dawoco

Born with two mothers

dawoco   

IT is a very 21st-century nightmare, spawned at the point where science meets our primal instincts, and technological advances collide with human vulnerability to make our moral compass feel hopelessly out of date. A couple’s struggle to have a child through IVF goes tragically wrong and the woman is inserted with the wrong embryo. The mistake is obvious the moment she gives birth – she and her husband are white, the baby is black. the source .

I just watched this programme and it is so shockingly realistic. It is a case of who has more rights to a child, the woman who carried a child for 9months and who gave birth to him or his biological parents?

The intresting thing about watching it was "who deserves the support of the court" and i found myself hoping the black couple would win. What do you think?

^Thats really sad...one more reason I'm against techonology assisted reproduction methods. The article did raise some very good questions. The mistake in this case was clearly obvious, the baby being a different colour than 'parents'. What of those who had the right colour, but came from a wrong embryo?.

About 'who has the legal/moral right to the baby'? I dont know. If it was me...I would not feel comfortable giving up a baby that was part of me for so long.

nafta   

I just saw the program and I had heard of the case that it was based on. It is just tragic that such a thing is known to have happened and could happen.

You find asking yourself how it's possible that people, doctors of all people, could make such a horrendeous error.

During the program I kept hoping the black couple would end up with the baby, after all it was their embroyo and they were supposed to be the baby's parents.

I would fight to the end to get my baby back and if the court ordered for it to stay with the woman who carried him then I would appeal until that decision was changed. It would be easy to say it's not the couple's fault and the baby should stay with the person that carried him/her. Ofcourse, there is a lot of emotion and feelings involved in carrying someone with you for 9 months. However the fact remains that at the end of the day that baby is not yours. You've carried someone else's child.

In the real case, the court decided that the baby's mother would be the white woman and the baby's father would be the black man. That is just tragic. People say technology has evolved, but at what cost?

Buubto   

Subhana laah.Wuxuu gaal ordobo ciyaal la isku qaldo iska dhafee, marka danbe xewaan ayee dadka ku beeri donaan. & their wish of aliens will come true. Akhas iga tag. Genetically modified foods & genetically modified babies what is next? I wonder. Wuxusan Ilahay qorin dhebkeeda wakaas.

Qac Qaac   

the baby is black.. therefore the black parents should have the baby.. and the white mother should also be let to visit the kid...and be part of his life.. as he was for 9 months..

Senora   

If it was me...I would not feel comfortable giving up a baby that was part of me for so long.

Well if we flip the script here a moment, what if that were your baby that was mistakingly placed in another womans uterus? Plus, would it really make you feel any better knowing that you would be keeping a baby away from his biological mother.

As hard as the decision may be,I would have to give the baby back to its mother. I wouldnt want another woman keeping my baby. Of course, i would request from the biological parents some sort of relationship with the child. If they decline, then oh well, its just something I'm going to have to deal with. Also, i could get another chance at having my own child, with my embryo.

^ I meant to say I understand why the white mother would fight for the black baby...and I sympathize with her. That's what I feel --and my feelings do not necesarily determine my actions.

dawoco   

In that particular drama, the biological father had a powerful argument, that the baby was going to be a black man longer than he was going to be a baby.And that he needs to see black people around him to know that it's ok to be black, instead of being told by white people that it was ok, while he was growing up in a white society.

In that particular drama the biological parents got the child, with the birth mother having visitation rights. I thought the white woman was being manipulative because she refused 2 let the black couple see their child so that she had a better claim on him. And then both mothers were allowed to write a letter to the deciding judge, with the white woman telling him how the child called her mamma, which was untrue, and how he couldn't feel happy without having her around.

Anyway, that programme was thought provoking and I seriously don't know what I would do if i was in that position, having a baby that wasn't mine versus a baby that was mine but that i didn't have :(