Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Will Somali be spoken in 2106?

Haneefah   

Old Castro, on one hand you seem to be discussing the slim chance of survival for certain world languages due to foreign popular cultural/linguistic pressures, and on another, you seem to be arguing against the preservation of one's native laguage for you see no significance associated with it, right? ok.

Well, to the former argument, you may be raising some valid points. I reckon that with increased globalization, the American cultural hegemony/imperialism being more pervasive than ever (through media, entertainment industry, the web, marketing, trade etc), it would be almost naive for anyone not to foresee the threat imposed by homogenization and the fact that some cultures and laguages face marginalization. Especially, more susceptible are those that continue to struggle with post-colonial impact and carry their ideological imprint (this would include us I believe). However, to conclude that these laguages stand no chance for survival and will soon be completely wiped out due to foreign predominant culture is an oversimplification, to say the least. This indicates that you're presuming these languages are all frail and don't have any strong fabric to begin with, hence why it would seem impossible for them to withstand or resist any foreign pressures; this to me is just absurd. You have to have a certain level of appreciation for linguistic diversity and understand that all human languages are equal (though it may not seem so in today's world).

On your latter argument, well I can't help but seem a bit stunned at your comments. I think some of the nomads mentioned good points. Language, dear brother, is an invaluable tool we use to communicate with our people, to understand and get a feel of our traditional background. It's a marker of our cultural identity, part of our heritage and more importantly, it represents our cultural history. It is what differentiates us from other social groups and creates a special unique bond between us. While I happen to be no linguist or even a social scientist, I also think that our language plays a crucial role in how we view the world and how we interpret our surroundings. I may just seem to be rambling on and on...but I sincerely hope you can reconsider that 'your native language holds no significance' mentality. smile.gif Let me ask you this though, what then do you propose should be the alternative if you are so adamant that maintaining one's native tongue has absolutely no benefits whatsoever :confused:

With respect to our language specifically, I agree that we may be facing a risk here. It's only true that as Somalis we've been an oral community from the very beginning, and the written portion of this language was only introduced in the early 70s. Even then, it was very much influenced by foreign languages (ie. Arabic, English, Italian), thus, there was really never pure Somali so to speak. Another fact is the impact of the civil war, millions of Somalis are now in the diaspora, many adapting other languages, assimilating into different cultures, and accepting foreign values and norms. In addition, colonial impact has left many with inferiority complex: The mentality that anything that has to do with Somalinimo is backward and only hinders the highly sought after progress or 'reer-magaalnimo' as some would term, and the idea that everything belonging to others is somehow better. As a result, I have seen some familes who have completely abandoned their native language and resorted to speaking a foreign tongue, even in their own homes. :( These are all facts that to me somehow reduce the survival chances, though I too truly hope our language beats all the odds that may work against it.

So shall we worry? Absolutly yes. For worrying means that we are at least conscious of the problems facing us, and only then will we understand the need to take precautionary actions collectively in order to preserve our language and culture (its positive aspects, that is).

Cara.   

Abraar, dear Castro is just using the Socratic method to teach us a valuable lesson. You don't really think he's questioning the importance of af Somaali, do you? I mean, Castro? He's not some bitter sijui, ya know. He writes gabay, I bet.

Haneefah   

Well you'd have to excuse me for not picking up on the 'Socratic Method' he was employing there, you shoulda given me a heads up, I'm just a poor biologist, you know ;)

Besides, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt til I read this post:

I understand the emotional and sentimental reasons for wanting the language to survive but that's not what I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of the practical and tangible benefits of having a common language. A language is a means for communication. If that communication is encumbered by different languages, it impedes progress and hinders understanding of your neighbors. It creates mistrust, misunderstanding and miscommunication. Look at Africa where unfortunately today, every 100 miles or so there's a different language; yet another barrier to progress so to speak. Even as Somalis on this board, when everyone writes in English one can't tell who's from what region and who carries a "heavy" certain accent. It makes for judgements based on what someone writes and not how they'd sound if they had read it aloud.

Plus of course, his direct questions for me.

I kinda became a little concerned for our good ol' Castro...waaxanba is idhi xaaladiisu waa bariga dhexe :D

kix kix kix @ the gabey comment, I bet he does, superbly waliba :D

Baluug   

Originally posted by Castro:

It's like being frozen in the Alps and when all the snow and ice has melted (i.e. other languages dissapear) there will they find the Somali language intact and well preserved; a Yeti of sorts.

LOL The abominable af-Soomaali miyaa? :D:D

I think you and Callypso both have a point. Somali people abroad and away from home are in danger of losing their language, but the language itself is far from facing extinction with millions back home speaking it while no other language, with the exception of Maay Maay and af-Baraawe, is being spoken there, to threaten it's popularity.

Castro   

Abraar iyo Cara, it's some where in between. I did say I'd play someone's abukaato from the onset, didn't I? Awareness is a good thing and it will be interesting to see how things will transpire.

Blessed   

I worry more for the languages spoken by minority tribes, such as Barawaani (chimwini Swahili), Maay, Tunni and others. It upsets me when Somalis run around with their ‘one language’ mantra. It’s not true. What’s worse if you ask people about the languages spoken in Somali, you’ll get Somali, English and Arabic….. full stop. It’s time we recognize and respect the other languages of Somalia and their speakers.

As for Somalia in the Diaspora, I know many who are fluent in the language even though they who were born and bred out of Somalia. It’s all about the value parents place in preserving your identity and language. Another factor, is the education system, some systems are designed to either push for assimilation (US) which involves leaving behind ones own culture ( creating an infiriorty complex) and others multiculturalism (UK).

In the UK, Somali children can take a GCSE in the Somali language, there are government funded supplementary mother tongue schools and ESL is based on preserving bilingualism rather then creating a monolingual society.

It hasn’t always been like this, but after much research, they found bilinguals are actually smarter then monolinguals :D because they think in two different cultures, which is annother benefit of preserving ones language. ;)

The bottom line is politics. If you want take the power away from a people and turn them into nobodies - you take away their language and with that goes their culture and identity and power to assert themselves.

p.s Nice topic Castro... ;)

Khayr   

Castro said:

I understand the emotional and sentimental reasons for wanting the language to survive but that's not what
I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of the practical and tangible benefits of having a common language. A language is a means for communication. If that communication is encumbered by different languages, it impedes progress and hinders understanding of your

neighbors.

Salams,

New Age Principle:

The Criteria to Judge what is GOOD is

Pragmatism? i.e. Tangible Benefit-$$$$

For if that wasn't the case, then why would parents encourage their kids to 'READ English' first - in most homes?

Good command of English>>> English speaking University>>>Good Pay Job>>>Heaven on Earth!

A language carries with it a WORLDVIEW that asserts itself over ALL ELSE. Much like a Religion, a Language says 'I' only in the way it becoems imbude in people's lifestyle and thought pattern.

It is no coincidenance that those people from the Somali Community that speak Enlgish First (dream in English, Think in English etc), have a different WORLDVIEW then those that speak Somali FIRST (in their thoughts and dreams etc.)

This kind of reminds me ot the Native and Indigenous people of North and South America and how their Languages have been lost and along with it their Cultures and People. Soo much so, that you can't recognize a Native/Indigenous person anymore unless you start to probe them about their background.

Castro   

Originally posted by Khayr:

It is no coincidenance that those people from the Somali Community that speak Enlgish First (dream in English, Think in English etc), have a different
WORLDVIEW
then those that speak Somali FIRST (in their thoughts and dreams etc.)

Mostly I dream of sex and rarely, if ever, do I need to speak to anyone in any language.

All I ask to be able to live in a world where people do not speak in CAPITAL LETTERS whilst making a similar point over and over.

Grates in whatever language your nerves understand. Agh.

Guhaad   

Matsuura: When a language dies, a vision of the world disappears. Today 72% of internet sites are in English, followed by German at just 7%, and French, Japanese and Spanish at 3%.

well, i classical example, is how nomads are impressed with the English language. here, Enlish is way of life. but isn't because people already know there language that they are more interested in others :confused:

i am not worried about losing the language as long as it is still written. and am alive to see it

Khalaf   

We are digging our own graves at the rate we are going. As though droughts, bad economy, poverty, lack of education/ institutions, ect weren’t enough, we are killing each other for nonsense. Our male population will deteriorate, and we will become part of greater Ethiopia. Call me fatalist.

I say slim chance - Languages just don't disappear because they are no longer spoken but rather that the people who spoke it died out - And af Somali dieing, my great great grandchildren will not betray me like that - I refuse to beleive this absurd ideology -

:D

Khayr   

Originally posted by BonefieD_CriTic:

I say slim chance - Languages just don't disappear because they are no longer spoken but rather that the people who spoke it died out - And af Somali dieing, my great great grandchildren will not betray me like that - I refuse to beleive this absurd ideology -

:D

Are we a bit naive here?

You are Dreeeaaaammmming!!!

Allahu Akbar! Riyoodha macaana!

And yet we conduct this debate in English

The language will survive -- however, where can one find a Somali grammar book ---- what is the correct spelling of certain words, becuz every region has its own unique dialect. I think we should have a Somali Language Institute – where they dictate these technicalities like the French.

Jacpher   

And yet we conduct this debate in English

Afkaaga caano lagu qabay.

I think it would soon be on the brink of extinction if the so-called Somali elite aqoonyahano continue to employ other languages especially when addressing Somalis. The TFG president speaking before the UN General Assembly back in 2005 is an example of its own. There’s a widely believe that utilizing another language will somehow sound so sophisticated not to mention intelligence.