Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Manliness of man

Castro   

Originally posted by Femme Fatale:

LOL
@ Castro. I believe you have nudged OG Moti out of the position as a Woman's Rights Advocate.
:D

Women rights are human rights. Surprisingly, many of the guys who're allegedly on the other side of the argument agree with the above, I hope. Conceding it in public, however, is not the manly thing to do. ;)

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

How about aggressiveness and emotionally insensitive? Does it not sound mannish enough?

Apparently not. You've just described 7 of Nine to a T. :D

Originally posted by Aeronwen:

quote:Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

How about aggressiveness and emotionally insensitive? Does it not sound mannish enough?

Apparently not. You've just described
7 of Nine
to a T.
:D
Wallah, I read that and thought, 'is this man trying to have a dig at me?'. So what does that make me... a manly-woman? :eek:

Blah @ B n C.

Nephissa   

Baashi/Xiin & Co. Trying to pidgeon-hole men to be one particular thing is ludicrous. All men need not be manly men, we need some pussified.

Baashi, great topic awoowe.

Baashi   

Castro, glad you went back and re-read the article. Now, the second sentence which happen to be the leading "topic" sentence reads in part:

There are other words, such as "courage," "frankness," or "confidence," that convey the
good
side of
manliness
without naming a sex

In closing, after he said what he had to say on the subject, he concluded that "being a man or women is much more than having" distinct body shapes and here he cites scientific evidence by alluding to an article written by Iain Murray. He then went on to say that the genders differ in their thinking pattern. From there he went back to the thesis by asserting that

While malenes is partly just a fact of biology, in humans it is linked to thinking and reason in ways that make manliness something much more than mere aggression. In humans masclunity is more than just defense of one's own; it has been extended to require noble sacrifice for a cause beyond oneself. Certainly, women reason and sacrifice too, and they are not devoid of aggressiveness. But their participation in these things is not "equal". As Aristotle said, men find easier to be courageous - and women find it easier to be modest. Of course you cannot avoid Aristotle's qualifier, "for the most part." For the most part, men will always have more manliness than women have, and it is up to both sexes to fashion this fact into somthing good."

Maleness means men. Manliness encompassess both genders but more in men than women. Is this true? Maybe, maybe not. This is something we can discuss. Now, I'm getting old and my ESL is not helping me in the composition and comprehension :D dept's as well, but it seems to me that at the outset Prof Mansfield made it clear that manliness is a human attribute. In his analysis he thinks men, for the most part display manliness more frequently than the fair sex. In addition, he thinks when it comes to specific "manliness" attributes, their participation are not "equal".

As a reasonable man I do understand that we are all entitled to our own opinions. And that's absoletely fine. However, judging from the course of our discussion on this subject, many of us hastly concluded that the author and the ones he had impressed with his rational commentary :D are chauvinists who are bent in taking away women's rights. In all fairness, that wasn't the case. Now, I will be delighted to weigh in women's rights but that is diffrent topic for different time.

:D @Bishaaro

Annigu waa iga intaa ee ii bashaala :D

Originally posted by 7 0f Nine:

Wallah, I read that and thought, 'is this man trying to have a dig at me?'. So what does that make me...
a manly-woman?
:eek:

No and no. I was merely retracting the incomplete percentile and wholeness nullifies the 78% comment. But apparently Araweelo has managed preemptive strike on me; A spectacular one at that redface.gif . So trust thee, dear Falxado, you’re as womanly as any female on this green earth can get smile.gif . I am assuming, of course, that the universality of competence is not in question.

Haddey so kasoo harto, ma idinla tahay a cultural warrior like me would easily dole out these mannish qualities that I so fiercely fought for? Even good Castro has to prove it before he wins respected seat in my manly circle! :D

Ma idinkaaba war haaya. :cool:

Castro   

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

Baashi/Xiin & Co. Trying to pidgeon-hole men to be one particular thing is ludicrous. All men need
not
be manly men, we need some pussified.

Bishaaro, enlighten me dear on what the pussification process entails? I now know what the meaning of the word is, but I'm interested in the process.

@ Baashi: and why did you not come out from the onset dressed all in white and declare such pussified statements?

P.S. I can't get over the word Bishaaro brought to my lexicon.