Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Manliness of man

Originally posted by Castro:

Mayee ceeb maaha.
Waxa ceeb ah, laakin, inuu ninka fiicnaashihiisu ku xidhnaado dumarka xumaantooda.

Shuucinimaduna aniga iyo adigaba way inoo ficantahay, saaxib. La'aanteed waa lagu garba beeli.

And how's that, good Fidel? Is preserving the natural structure of the genders equivalent to fattening self on the expense of female counterparts?. :confused:

Castro   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Is preserving the natural structure of the genders equivalent to fattening self on the expense of female counterparts?. :confused:

The natural structure of the genders you speak of is what got us in this mess initially. The discredited belief that culture, god, tradition, nature or the excuse du jour ought to keep women docile, barefoot in the kitchen and pregnant is no more. And the realization is giving manly men, such as your self good Xiin, nightmare upon nightmare.

For the men who celebrate, or simply acknowledge, women's new and long overdue recognition as the pillars of society that they've always been, the label girlie men awaits. Well, that is an insignificant price to pay for doing the right thing.

Fanisha   

Originally posted by liibaan:

I didn't bother to read the article...I'm too manly for that....reading long,boring articles is for sissies!!

LOOOOOOOL, I like that!!!!!!!!

Rahima   

Let’s skip the feminism issue and consider the ‘manliness’ debate itself.

Seemingly according to this article and the views of some nomads, to be considered a mans man one has to be almost Neanderthal like and qualities such as kindness, compassion and sympathy are shunned upon, seen as weak and feminine. These are all qualities which one should espouse to and for those of you who are somewhat religiously inclined would know are qualities favourably mentioned by our blessed prophet and he himself had.

Boys, this ape like mentality is contrary to not only our religion but also basic human decency and common sense. We need to be balanced, sure no one likes the ‘girlie’ man and I say this for there are certain qualities particular to women which aren’t as accepted with men (we are equal but not the same), but to be a real man one does not have to be an unfeeling cold-hearted ape. You can be brave and courageous whilst being kind, compassionate and well-groomed. They do not necessarily contradict one another so let’s keep this in mind instead of resorting to extremes. Carson is not an example we should be looking at nor was Hitler ;) .

Originally posted by Rahima:

Seemingly according to this article and the views of some nomads, to be considered a mans man one has to be almost Neanderthal like and qualities such as kindness, compassion and sympathy are shunned upon, seen as weak and feminine. These are all qualities which one should espouse to and for those of you who are somewhat religiously inclined would know are qualities favourably mentioned by our blessed prophet and he himself had.

I agree, dear.

Certainly men and women are physiologically different. There is no argument about that. Physical differences and biological roles, however, differ from 'gender' roles. Gender roles are wholly invented, assigned and influenced by cultural/societal values.

Neither sex has a God-given right to any of the above-mentioned attributes. Allah has given both men and women the capacity to have them and to use them. Therefore, it seems beyond ridiculous to appropriate any of these clearly unisex and universally-appealling qualities and confine them to the one gender or the other. How narrow-minded. Women can be and often ARE heroic, courageous, predatory and violent as well as kind and empathetic. Men can be and often are considerate, loving and emotional as well as hard, rugged and cold.

In this day and age, it seems silly to expect us to bemoan the loss of something which has long been dead...the manly-man. If he ever existed in the first place. You can blame your male ancestors for leading you up the garden path so well. What a cruel Joke.

NGONGE   

I somewhat find myself agreeing with Castro on the label of ‘manly men’. It is indeed nothing but a term of endearment, a characterisation and a boast. Girly men on the other hand is nothing but an empty slur.

Men, real men that is, are a mixture of both. History is full of manly-men that were really nothing but a bunch of girls.

In Homer's Iliad, Achilles was the murderer of men. There was no stronger man than he is. He single-handedly terrorised the Spartans and driven them back to their walls. Then, Agamemnon the King of the Greek kings tricked Achilles out of his bounty (this was a pretty slave girl). Achilles, the slayer of men decided to spit the dummy and refused to take part in the war. He later joined the war in order to avenge the death of his boyfriend. Achilles is widely regarded as a manly-man! :D

In that story, there is also brave Hector. He who gave his life to defend his honour and country against the invasion of the Greeks! He too was regarded as a manly-man, but when Achilles had him cornered, he squealed like a girl. :D

Alexander the great was considered a manly-man yet he was rumoured to be bi-sexual! :D

A Jaheli Arabic poet (and they were all manly-men by the way) once said in praise of a king:

You’re the Sun and other kings are merely stars

When the Sun comes out, no stars are visible

Though he paints a great picture, I’m sure most manly-men would consider such praise to be too girly. In fact, some of us wouldn’t shy from trying those lines on a girl or two (there is a good chance they might work).

Even Al Motanabi, he that boasts about his manliness in almost all of his poems displays symptoms of femininity when he femininely begs Saif Al Dawla for mere attention.

A contemporary example of a manly-man is the American basketball player Dennis Rodman. An eccentric that with red hair, full makeup and stilettos would still perform a universally agreed upon manly slam-dunk. :D

Manly-men are not about testosterone and valour. Manly-men are all about wisdom and patience. Again, this puts me in mind of the Arabic poet that uttered these great words:

Reason ahead of the bravery of the brave

It [reason] is first and she [bravery] is second.

Is there such a thing as a reasonable manly-men though? And would a reasonable man recognise the need for the (sensible parts at least) of feminism?

:rolleyes:

History is full of manly-men that were really nothing but a bunch of girls.

Again, I take offence at the implication. A weak man is not a girl. A silly man is not a girl. To be a girl isn't to be weak and silly. :rolleyes:

^ You see there? I am a girl, therefore I can be a silly girl. But you would be wrong to term a silly man a girl. A man can't be and shouldn't be referred to as a girl (as an insult). It's not insulting to be a girl. Capiche? Fix up Mr!

NGONGE   

^^^ If it pleases you to call yourself a girl, then call yourself a girl. But, I warn you, girls ARE silly. Men can act like silly girls, women can act like silly girls. I even once saw a dog acting like a silly girl. :D

I shall not budge on this point... :mad:

Had a woman posted this topic, it'd have been moved to the Women section. Why not move this thing, it's so quiet there? All other topics like this live there.

Wait, that would make sh*t consistent and who wants consistency in sh*t?

Equality? Poo to that too.

I haven't read the article or most of the replies. Felt like wasting time here cause there's something really important I should be doing right now. I'm a boyish-troll. Whatchugonnado?

Salaamu Calaykum;

Intaan hurday baa Shhuucigii ii dhammeeyey! :D

Castro, you may get a thunderous cheering for singing such popular song of this century but you certainly missed the point of this debate in a big way. It goes without saying women occupy very high and respected position in any fairly structured society. In my believe system, both genders were granted universal equality before the justice of God. The roles and rights are well defined. There is no blurring of boundaries between them. Complementary relationship is encouraged and competition discouraged. Women have freedom to own and spend. As servant of God, they supposed to educate and acquaint them selves with all the available knowledge. While man’s tasks were mainly provider, defender, and leader, women, without a shame, were educators, traders, and house-makers. They had a positive attitude about the relationship with men. Both have unique qualities that can’t be eclipsed by these whining feminists. Pretense is a sign of weakness, saaxiib. It is not a weakness that women get pregnant and give to birth cute babies (and not so cute babies for that matter); indeed it is bliss from Allah; a biological role that without it humanity might have ceased to exist. And what’s so scandalous about being in the kitchen and readying hot meal to her husband, brother, or father?

Granted that men are far from perfect and often fail to fulfill basic responsibilities, but the solution does not lie in merging gender territories, so to say, and slurring distinctive manly attributes, saaxiib. So as you can see, mine was mere acknowledgement of the natural order, saaxiib.

Bal aan sugno inta garka laysku qabsanayo! :D

Khayr   

Salamz,

Inshallah, the below quote will of some help to some nomands as this really is a topic about

Gender Qualities and how they are defined

...it may be asked, is the meaning of the masculine character attributed to God by the Scriptures, and how can man -- the male -- accord all his love, naturally centered on woman, on a Divine Being who seems to exclude femininity? The answer to this is that the reason for the masculine character of God in Semitic monotheism signifies, not that the Divine Perfection could possibly exclude the feminine perfections (which is unthinkable), but simply that God is totality and not part, and this totality has its image, precisely in the human male, whence his priority with regard to woman -- a priority which in other respects is either relative or non-existent; it is indeed important to understand that the male is not totality in the same way that God is, and likewise that woman is not `part' in an absolute manner, for each sex, being equally human, shares in the nature of the other.

If each of the sexes constituted a pole, God could neither be masculine nor feminine, for it would be an error of language to reduce God to one of two reciprocally complementary poles; but if, on the contrary,
each sex represents a perfection, God cannot but possess the characteristics of both -- active perfection
, however, always having priority over passive perfection. In Islam, it is sometimes said that man has a feminine character in relation to God; but from another point of view the doctrine of the Divine Names implies that the Divinity possesses all conceivable qualities, and if we see in the perfect woman certain qualities which are proper to her, she cannot have them except in so far as they are a reverberation of the corresponding Divine Qualities.

Reference for the Quote

It maybe asked here as to what nomads see as a

Masculine quality and Feminine quality

Fi Amanillah