Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Maximus Powers': Books To Read Before You Die

tfa.jpg

This story begins in the 1880s before missionaries and other outsiders have arrived in Nigeria. The Igbo people are polytheistic and superstitious, practicing a number of tribal traditions like magic and sacrifice. Okonkwo becomes a leader of his tribe due to their respect for his achievements and contributions to the tribe. Conflicts arise in the story when cultural tradition struggles with change. The biggest changes come with the arrival of British colonization. The influence of missionaries brings about a huge division within the tribes, resulting not only in personal hardships for Onkonkwo, his family and the other villagers, but the eventual disintegration of the Igbo culture. It gave me a lot to think about regarding cultural differences and how our actions based on tradition can be misinterpreted by other cultures

000651409X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Rarely will you come across a novel as intriguing and seductive as this. Amitav Ghosh smoothly juxtaposed the endearing cast of characters against the historical background to create a romp that excites from start to finish. Equally delectable is his prose which lures the reader into every episode in the novel, from Burma to India to Malaya. The many love stories woven into the tale surprise, delights and captures the heart of the reader. An absolutely magnificent tale, story telling at its finest.

shake-hands-with-the-devil-book8x6.png

This book is a must read for anyone who is interested in the UN, international aid societies, Rwanda, or the international community in general. This book perfectly describes the failure of so many parties to stop a genocide, even though they were given many chances along the way. Particularly scathing, is Dallaire's observations on France and the United States who could easily be named as being partially responsible for the genocide.

khaled_hosseini_a_thousand_splendid_suns

A beautiful, moving, tragic and poignant story full of hope and the triumph of the human spirit in the face of extreme odds and adversities.

kite-runner.jpg

A beautiful and must read novel. The reader’s mind flows with the minds of the characters. A story of redemption and true friendship. Khaled Hosseini did a splendid job describing what was once a beautiful city and an even more beautiful country of Afghanistan devastated by decades of war and under the unforgiving thumb of the fundamentalist Taliban.

^ Yes! just recently. Amazing!

51fbZ2Eqc6L._SS500_.jpg

The booK explores the impact of globalisation on the western world and how this manifests on our daily psyches. The argument basically underpins how we all put to much empathsis on money, looks, body size, our jobs, our cars, who has the best looking partner and who is happiest. As we all strive for the keeping up with the Joneses lifestyle it leaves us feeling like were missing out thus leaving us feeling depressed and dissatisfied.

n180199.jpg

A powerful first-person account of West Africa's bloody civil wars, and the exploitation of the young and naive. Written from a child's point-of-view, Uzo writes it as it is, and does not cloak the atrocities and disenchantedness of war.

Originally posted by MAXIMUS POWERS:

shake-hands-with-the-devil-book8x6.png

This book is a must read for anyone who is interested in the UN, international aid societies, Rwanda, or the international community in general. This book perfectly describes the failure of so many parties to stop a genocide, even though they were given many chances along the way. Particularly scathing, is Dallaire's observations on France and the United States who could easily be named as being partially responsible for the genocide.

I appreciate this suggestion, i'm definetely going into that feild :D

Mahad saniid walal.

Currently reading the "Namesake" not too shabby!

p.s- The khalid books are AMAZING those are a MUST.

Originally posted by MAXIMUS POWERS:

WINDUP.JPG

I'm reading this right now! icon_razz.gif And The Alchemist is one of the top 5 books I've ever read - definitely life-changing..

Thanks for the suggestions! Some of these will go on my list for books to read this year.

One author I recommend if you're looking for books that are fun/hilarious while blowing your mind with crazy theories is TOM ROBBINS - his stories are out of this world.