Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Losing her faith

Wow, I didn’t expect this kind of response from a thread about a confused woman. Nevertheless having read some of the postings i can’t help but think this is sadly a growing phenomenon.

These debates have only served to remind me that knowledge and more importantly the pursuit of knowledge in Islam is paramount.

I may not be the most versed scholar in Islam, but for me it provides comfort and guidance, it’s also a very private matter. My intellect and logic tell me I’m following the right path and my continuing pursuit of knowledge only serves to reaffirm that belief.

I’ve spoken to my friend and have forwarded her some emails and links. I told her to keep an open mind whilst listening and reading them. She’s agreed to.

Do i believe Islam is the true path because of social conditioning? Yes!

Do i still believe Islam is the true path after looking deeper into the alternatives? Yes!

To believe the many unfounded theories of science as fact and then claim religion is wrong is truly ironic. To me they are very similar, inthat they both require faith in something. A creator and a hypothesis if you will.

There are many little pointers in life that indicate towards a greater power and a supreme being, it’s just we’re so busy in our concrete jungles that we seldom look up and wonder.

It’s for science to disprove religion, and they can’t; simply because every few decades they contradict themselves as new theories arise.

I’m just waiting for the day they tell us they've discovered man has a soul......... :rolleyes:

Wow, I didn’t expect this kind of response from a thread about a confused woman. Nevertheless having read some of the postings i can’t help but think this is sadly a growing phenomenon.

These debates have only served to remind me that knowledge and more importantly the pursuit of knowledge in Islam is paramount.

I may not be the most versed scholar in Islam, but for me it provides comfort and guidance, it’s also a very private matter. My intellect and logic tell me I’m following the right path and my continuing pursuit of knowledge only serves to reaffirm that belief.

I’ve spoken to my friend and have forwarded her some emails and links. I told her to keep an open mind whilst listening and reading them. She’s agreed to.

Do i still believe Islam is the true path after looking deeper into the alternatives? Yes!

To believe the many unfounded theories of science as fact and then claim religion is wrong is truly ironic. To me they are very similar, inthat they both require faith in something. A creator and a hypothesis if you will.

There are many little pointers in life that indicate towards a greater power and a supreme being, it’s just we’re so busy in our concrete jungles that we seldom look up and wonder.

It’s for science to disprove religion, and they can’t; simply because every few decades they contradict themselves as new theories arise.

I’m just waiting for the day they tell us they've discovered man has a soul......... :rolleyes:

BOB   

We (Somalis) are born and raised in Islam as Muslims, some are lucky to learn and gain deep knowledge than others, some are just left with the basics they've learned in the madrassa and as soon as they finished the madrassa stopped seeking and above all acquiring knowledge and the third and the last category is the group who barely know the basics and don't even know what it's to be a muslim and yet when asked about the faith they seem to have millions of questions than answers but instead of admitting their short-comings they blame the faith.

We need to ask ourselves What Are The Fundamentals That Every Muslim Must Learn?

Allah s.w says in the Qur'an (I swear) By the time.1. Surely, man is in (a state of) loss, Except those who believe and do good deeds, and exhort one another to accept the truth, and who exhort one another to endure (the consequences thereof with) patience. 2. Surah 103.

This is an oath made by Allah s.w stressing that ONLY those who believe and do good deeds will prosper.

Imam Al-Shafi'e (Rahimahu-Allah) said "Were this to be the ONLY surah Allah s.w had sent down to his slaves, it would have been enough for them".

Diinta in la barto halagu dadaalo and trust me, you won't have doubts about anything...everything you ever wanted to know is already in the Qur'an...just give the Qur'aan a chance.

Allah s.w Knows the best.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

A&T adiga dagaalka iyo accusationska jooji Xaaji.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Archdemos:

Please feel free and elaborate on how chopping a Theif's hands and legs cross-wise and or considering a child, a baby girl of 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16, or 17 ) to be a perfect wife, is or can be a superior social conditioning ?

Please name few of the worse alternatives.

To believe the many unfounded theories of science as fact and then claim religion is wrong is truly ironic. To me they are very similar, inthat they both require faith in something. A creator and a hypothesis if you will. !

It is true that you and many other theists dont understand what a scientific theory is or what a Theory means in scientific context, so let us help you out.

A scientific theory is the principle put forward to EXPLAIN a natural phenomena, it is based on observations, experimentations, and reasoning, it is testable , verifiable etc etc, while Scientific facts are what is observable and/or measurable and are supported by unmistakeable evidence.

As is clear from the above defination of a Scientific theory,no scientific theory is similar to , or demands a blind belief or enjoys the religious certitude that religious theories enjoy.

And to our disappointment, you won't let us closely examine the 'God' hypothesis .

There are many little pointers in life that indicate towards a greater power and a supreme being, it’s just we’re so busy in our concrete jungles that we seldom look up and wonder. !

Please feel free and share with us the best indications you can think of, disregarding the supreme power of the gaps.

It’s for science to disprove religion, and they can’t; simply because every few decades they contradict themselves as new theories arise. !

Why would science need to disprove every superstitious claim ?

That Ghosts (Gods, if you must) doesent factually exist is the default reality, No?

BOB   

I hope you're sincere in you asking this and if not then God help you but I still give you the answer nevertheless.

First and foremost remove the picture of Al Shabab, Taliban, Al Qaeda etc from your phsyche and just focus on what the Qur'an and the Sharia say about those who steal and not how some group interpret the Qur'an and the Sharia.

In the Name of Allah, Most gracious, Most Merciful.

In accordance with the Qur'an and several hadith, theft is punished by imprisonment or amputation of hands or feet. depending on the number of times it was committed and depending on the item of theft. However, before the punishment is executed two eyewitnesses under oath must say that they saw the person stealing.

If these witnesses cannot be produced then the punishment cannot be carried out. Witnesses must be either two men, or, if only one man can be found, one man and two women.

Several requirements are in place for the amputation of hands, so the actual instances of this are relatively few they are:

There must have been criminal intent to take private (not common) property.

The theft must not have been the product of hunger, necessity, or duress.

The goods stolen must be over a minimum value, not haraam and not owned by the thief's family.

Goods must have been taken from custody (i.e. not in a public place).

There must be reliable witnesses.

The punishment is carried out even if the thief repents. [said Prophet Muhammad p.b.u.h]

All of these must be met under the scrutiny of judicial authority. [Qur'an 5:38].

If implemented accordingly Sharia law would make the world far better place than it is today and that includes all Muslim Countries in the world today.

PS. Once again I hope you are sincere...I won't mock you or disrespect you in anyway and I hope you'll do the same Insha Allah.

May God Guide us all through the righteous path.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

About marrying young girls...well to this day there has never been a concrete proof that Aisha (r.a) was 9 when she married the messenger of allah s.w.

The historians has been rebuting one another on this particular subject for centuries and to this day no one can proof that the marriage took place when Aisha (r.a) was indeed 9 years old and here's a few examples.

According to the generally accepted tradition, Aisha (r.a) was born about eight years before Hijrah. But according to another narrative in Bukhari (kitabu'l-tafseer) Aisha (r.a) is reported to have said that at the time Surah Al-Qamar, the 54th chapter of the Qur'an, was revealed, "I was a young girl".

Now the 54th surah of the Qur'an was revealed nine years before Hijrah. According to this tradition, Aisha (r.a) had not only been born before the revelation of the referred surah, but was actually a young girl (jariyah) not an infant (sibyah) at that time.

Obviously, if this narrative is held to be true, it is in clear contradiction with the narratives reported by Hisham ibn Urwah.

I see absolutely no reason that after the comments of the experts on the narratives of Hisham ibn Urwah, why we should not accept this narrative to be more accurate.

According to a number of narratives, Aisha (r.a) accompanied the Muslims in the battle of Badr and Uhud. Furthermore, it is also reported in books of hadith and history that no one under the age of 15 years was allowed to take part in the battle of Uhud. All the boys below 15 years of age were sent back. Aisha's (r.a) participation in the battle of Badr and Uhud clearly indicate that she was not nine or ten years old at that time. After all, women used to accompany men to the battle fields to help them, not to be a burden on them.

According to almost all the historians Asma (r.a), the elder sister of Aisha (r.a) was ten years older than Aisha (r.a). It is reported in Taqri'bu'l-tehzi'b as well as Al-bidayah wa'l-nihayah that Asma (r.a) died in 73 Hijrah when she was 100 years old. Now, obviously if Asma (r.a) was 100 years old in 73 hijrah she should have been 27 or 28 years old at the time of hijrah. If Asma (r.a) was 27 or 28 years old at the time of Hijrah, Aisha (r.a) should have been 17 or 18 years old at that time. Thus, Aisha (r.a), if she got married in 1 AH (after hijrah) or 2 AH, was between 18 to 20 years old at the time of her marriage.

Tabari in his treatise on Islamic history, while mentioning Abu Bakr (r.a) reports that Abu Bakr had four children and all four were born during the Jahiliyah...the pre Islamic period.

Now obviously, if Aisha (r.a) was born in the period of jahiliyah, she could not have been less than 14 years in 1 AH...the time she most likely got married.

According to Ibn Hisham, a well respected historian, Aisha (r.a) accepted Islam quite some time before Umar ibn Khattab (r.a). This shows that Aisha (r.a) accepted Islam during the first year of Islam. While, if the narrative of Aisha's (ra) marriage at seven years of age is held to be true, Aisha (r.a) should not have been born during the first year of Islam.

Tabari has also reported that at the time Abu Bakr planned on migrating to Habshah (8 years before Hijrah), he went to Mut`am...with whose son Aisha (r.a) was engaged to and asked him to take Aisha (r.a) in his house as his son's wife. Mut'am refused, because Abu Bakr had embraced Islam and subsequently his son divorced Aisha (r.a).

Now, if Aisha (r.a) was only seven years old at the time of her marriage, she could not have been born at the time Abu Bakr decided on migrating to Habshah. On the basis of this report it seems only reasonable to assume that Aisha (ra) had not only been born 8 years before hijrah, but was also a young lady, quite prepared for marriage.

According to a narrative reported by Ahmad ibn Hanbal (rahimahu-allah) after the death of Khadijah (r.a) when Khaulah (r.a) came to the Prophet (p.b.u.h) advising him to marry again, the Prophet (p.b.u.h) asked her regarding the choices she had in her mind. Khaulah said: "You can marry a virgin (bikr) or a woman who has already been married (thayyib)". When the Prophet (p.b.u.h) asked about who the virgin was, Khaulah proposed Aisha's (r.a) name.

All those who know the Arabic language, are aware that the word "bikr" in the Arabic language is not used for an immature nine year old girl. The correct word for a young playful girl, as stated earlier is "Jariyah". "Bikr" on the other hand, is used for an unmarried lady, and obviously a nine year old is not a "lady".

According to Ibn Hajar, Fatimah (r.a) was five years older than Aisha (r.a). Fatimah (r.a) is reported to have been born when the Prophet (p.b.u.h) was 35 years old. Thus, even if this information is taken to be correct, Aisha (r.a) could by no means be less than 14 years old at the time of hijrah and 15 or 16 years old at the time of her marriage.

These are some of the major points that go against accepting the commonly known narrative regarding Aisha's (ra) age at the time of her marriage....marka like I said wax la hubo ma aha exactly waqtiga and the age ay Aisha (r.a) jirtay.

Allah s.w knows best.

PS. Hisham ibn Urwah (Rahimahu-Allah) was the grandson Asma Bint Abu Bakar (r.a) the older sister of Aisha (r.a).

Ask any question you may have about Islam and I will ask around on your behalf Insha Allah.

May God guide us all through the righteous path.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Ibtisam   

BoB ur wasting your time bro. Johnny has been stuck in a basement with regards to Islam for ages. May Allah guide him and us. Amiin dhe johnny.

BOB   

Let's not give up on him or on anybody else...we'are already in the red (arrears) marka we can do with him rather than without him...don't you dare let go of him. smile.gif

Peace, Love & Unity.

Ibtisam   

War ikhtiyar bu leeyah. Islam does not need anyone, me or him. No one can guide but allah so wan uu ducey lakin outside of that sheeko wey damatey.

BOB   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

War ikhtiyar bu leeyah.wey damatey.

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ileyhi Raajicuun...Don't tell me that was Somali! :eek: Hajiya you need to stop mixing Somali with Bengali.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Haatu   

Johnny, in your quest to get an answer to your questions you are applying logic which is not applicable to the religion of Islam. The proof for this is that it is reported that Ali said "if the religion was about logic, we would wipe under the socks when doing masxa."

Originally posted by BOB:

We (Somalis) are born and raised in Islam as Muslims, some are lucky to learn and gain deep knowledge than others, some are just left with the basics they've learned in the madrassa and as soon as they finished the madrassa stopped seeking and above all acquiring knowledge and the third and the last category is the group who barely know the basics and don't even know what it's to be a muslim and yet when asked about the faith they seem to have millions of questions than answers but instead of admitting their short-comings they blame the faith.

We need to ask ourselves
What Are The Fundamentals That Every Muslim Must Learn

True. Many who hardly study or have studied religion but were just born into it are caught in this precarious position of doubting and questioning the existence of God. And their queries and logic is based on some western athiests, who in the first place didn't believe in the existence of God. Some fall into this trap unknowingly after reading some philosophical theorist's work but whose educational foundation is not solid.

We need to learn and get wisdom from our holy Quran before getting into these oceans. The Quran is the perfect book to gain wisdom and refute your doubts on the existence of Allah.

May Allah guide to the right path.

Tuujiye   

BOB Jonny rabsholoo waaye ee yuusan ku waalin.. asaga baadari aa soo korsaday lool anaa kuu aqaan cunugaas oo kale... Rabsho aa ku go'goday..

Wareer Badanaa!!!