Sign in to follow this  
Macalin

What group are YOU IN?

pearl   

interesting...

unfortunately i belong to the lost group...but alhamdulliah with the help of the Allah and mommy dearest...i have been able to retain most of my islamic and cultural heritage...

Macalin   

LOL SOCRATES...happynewyr sxb..ama see u @excel right?..lol

Umm Yea, i dont know if this guy is any professional or what like a social worker or pyschiatrist, i mean what authority does he to classify and oversimply(as my himble bro above said) issues that are really really a thorn in our community.

What i have a problem with is his simple one shot look at the issue(more like a comedian on comicview views),he just mentions stuff that are irrilevant....Also he doesnt have any solutions to the problem facing the community.

lol   

Socrates: lol... walaahi u cracked me up.. Lakkad doesn't belong to any of them neither do I... I was 19 when I got to the States way beyond 17...so Lakkad.. what is our Status homie?

hukri   

I belong to the third group. I understand somali when speaking and reading and all but I have problems writing....I'm not that lost..or am I?

Senora   

"Hargab baan haystaa ama aniga waa jirrantahay" (I have cold), "Shaadhkaygii guriguu joogaa" (My shirt is at home), "Berri iskuul waa haystaa " (I have school tomorrow.)

LOL, whats wrong with this somali??...I talk like this all the time

^^^^^^loooooooooooooool

jokarad wayne ba tahay sis....

well, im in the third group however im proud of my somali dialect. i aint westernised, and i dont have very little knowledge of somali tribal bull-shid,,,im a anti-gabilist expert and therefore have studied gabilism...

but then this tudy is for peeps in america..not UK!!!

That was the ridiculous article I have ever read. Good example of older Somalis lack of communication with their children and lack of parental skills. They probably got used to the community raising their children back home and now they come here, don't learn the language, talk to thier children and blame the country they chose to live in for problems with their kids. If this was meant to be an informative article on the state of the somali youth in america, it has failed to point out the REAL problems of these children. I guess it's easy to blame the haitians and the jamaicans for their children misbehaviours!!

Bambina   

Salam nomads , I found the article very informative about the somali youth. Sadly, the cultural gap between somalis and the western world can be very harmful and TV doesnt help sometimes,specially when some rap artists advocate the importance of the bling-bling (nice cars and houses)and a total disrespect for women ,treated as prostitutes most of the time.

But it is true that the lack of commnunication between parents and children can attract young somalis to the black-American culture.Parents must not only play with children but also learn them their culture but foremost Islam at an early age so they can overcome the West's influence.

It is important not to blame the TV and parents all the time but our individual responsabilities as well.

Saalixa   

im in the last group, but i know my language preety well, where did they get those figures from? at home we only speak somali, my moma gets her tip xawaash if she hears us talking some otha language,,,its bad coz i get beaten up alot.

"wayaada afkiina hooyo waa malab eh ku hadla"

N.O.R.F   

afkiina hooyo waa malab eh ku hadla

:D

Nice post, i was a group 2 member, came to UK very young, before approx 95% of the somalis who live here now and under totally different circumstances than that given in the report with regard to US based Somalis.

I think the report generalised the whole Somali community in the US and is very misleading. :confused: