Sign in to follow this  
Geel_jire

How has the economic downturn affected you ?

Senora   

Spending has been put to a complete halt in our house!! I work in a state university and the private schools have been all over the news with their talks of layoffs (HBCU's have been hit the hardest)....we had a budget meeting and the President has now placed layoffs as a strong possibility to deal with the budget cuts coming soon. Our office leads have already had the discussion with us about trying to find another job so that we wont face the upcoming layoffs....the uncertainty is nerve-racking! Im praying for this to bottom out soon....

^ I can imagine how frustrating that must feel. Good luck and all the best, luv.

Puja, really sorry to hear you've been caught up as well. Insha'Allah something even better will come along.

I've been reigning in my spending over the last year and a half, so in that regard I haven't been affected much. But there's doubt as to whether my job will still exist beyond March, which is why I opted to travel and work abroad, I'A.

Samafal   

^ reigning on you spending can be a bad reason to have a long lasting and deep recession. Any economist will advise the public to pump up their spending to give a rescue plan a chance. So SPEND AND SPEND MORE UNTIL YOU ARE BASICALLY BROKE.

It's affecting everyone, i know a few engineering former class mates who graduated last year and are having trouble finding work because of the global recession, the best thing for those who are graduating this year is maybe do graduate work. I'm thinkin of that. But the economy will bounce up, so no worries.

^ It is especially tough for new engineering graduates .. the market is now flooded with laid off, but experienced engineers.

and a graduate engineering degree will help you with two things:

- it will cut the time in half .. that you are required to work in your field before you are granted a license to practice engineering .. from 4 years to 2 years.

- it will help you out, in promotion to management.

but without experience to back it up, it will not be easy to get your foot in the door.

goodluck with it sxb.

Haneefah   

It hasn't at all. At least not that I am conscious of. Being a student makes you tune out.

Geeljiroow, Edm baan u soo socdayee hada ma waxaad leedahay things are looking grim?

^ :D it is not as bad as it sounds.

things were moving at a hectic pace ... it is about time things slowed down a little.

you shouldn't be worried though, yours is a recession & depression proof industry

Aaliyyah   

^I think it's a good time to buy houses even though you are taking the risk in case they even drop farther. But, if you buy a house and you are not looking to sell it anytime soon, who knows the prices might go up sometime in the future.

just curious what profession are you pursuing Haneefah?

salaam

Dhimbil   

The recession hasn't impacted me and probably won't. But I'm hearing crazy stories out there. One of the big employers in downtown MLPS Target laid off almost 600+ pple just one morning the other week without notice and plans to lay off another 600+ before year end? I couldn't belief that.

^Lucky you sxb!

This reccession cost me a promotion already and won't get my annual increase which is due in few days ): 2/15.

Luckily, I got my tuition re-imbursement for last semester and this semester hasn't been affected so far...hope it won't be. Will know on 2/22 when the press comes out.

Hmmmm.....I am indifferent of what happens for some reasons. I guess am tired of joggling full time work and school; won't mind a break with pay for few months you know smile.gif

Those being laid off work in low paid jobs. Companies are very eager to hang on to their star workers. Some of those affected might want to stop spending, since you dont have job security. Very Sad indeed!

Public sector workers have job security, some of those affected might want to change jobs asap.

Excellent sites:

http://www.jobsgopublic.com/

http://www.publicsectorcareers.org/

http://www.jobsinpublicsector.co.uk/