Sign in to follow this  
Geel_jire

How has the economic downturn affected you ?

We have all been hearing about , how bad the economy is getting for at least for 1 year and a half.

A project I have been working on for the last few months just got 'put on hold' today ... which took me completely by surprise .. as 98% of the work is done what remains is so insignificant it doesn't make sense from a cost cutting point of view .. but nevertheless managers have to look like they are doing something .. when asked by the higher ups .. 'what are you doing to cut costs ?' I had my head in the sand, as to how bad the situation really is, The Ax has been falling left and right of me -- enough of my rant

A few nuggets of advice that may help:

- keep your resume upto date

- plan for the eventual upturn .... it is a good time to catch up on training and your continued education obligations.

- dhexdha dhuuqso .. spending wise

-------------------------------

what can you add ?

dont worry about these lies...u watching 2 much news homie. where did all the money go? think of it, its not buried in some underground hole in boosaaso! otherwise, yeeye wouldnt have left. u know how much he likes the $ sign!!

there r places where this eco downfall has not touch at all...yup places like africa, cus they deal in cash and no credit. China, cus they monitor they cash flow.

but in the west...all cash belongs to few ppl. so when the news says that eco is down...they locked it up. its a capitalism problem. If more ppl were sharing this cash flow, then these type of problems wont happen.

i dont worry about...its just a rich ppl darama.

however, its the best time to get into business since prices r low...so take advantage.

:D @ watching too much news

I assure you it is real sxb, seefta hadaysan weli ku leefin nasiib baad leedahay.

but ever since the housing crisis in late 2006 .. things have been heading downward.

N.O.R.F   

The project I'm working on is now on hold. With so many contractors and consultants, so many people have lost their jobs as there aren't many other projects for them to go to. Our team of 12 is 14 is now 4!

CV updated and will take whatever is thrown at me (prefer to be put on another job though).

The Zack   

More than 500,000 people have been laid off in January alone. This includes two of my friends. That is how bad this thing is. It is really scary!

Norf sxb I hear you.

I started off with 10 construction guys, a few months back .. and they have been getting laid off or reassigned to other projects 1 by 1, until I was left with 3.

I was confident that I would be able to close my project, because the remaining funds represented a minute amount of the total budget, but it is on hold now, I'll be handing over the construction work package to their in-house guys.

in tough times, the consultant and contractors are the first to go, they are trying to do things in house, but they don't have the expertise.

luckily I have a few smaller projects that i am involved in, but that one was my baby :(

anyway things will turn around in time, best to be prepared when they do smile.gif

hopefully this stimulas could help little and have people taking cabs again. ur right, so many people have been effected by this down turn. just look at the numbers of cab drivers out of jobs.

N.O.R.F   

Geel jire

Imagine trying to deal with all the claims and contractual issues that come along with project suspensions! Madax xanuun with endless meetings and people chasing what they are owed.

Are you involved at contractual/commercial level?

^ Absolutelly not sxb :D , madax xanuunkaas kama bixi karo.

I am the Project Engineer, my involvement is only as far as a subject matter expert.

I do sit in on some of those meetings to provide answers/clarification on the technical scope of the project.

my work stopped as soon as the project was put on hold, my friend who does deal with the contractual side of it .. is still knee deep in sh!t ... marka I know what you mean