Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Somali Language Program

Ashkiro   

Salaam,

I am wondering in your communities (those of you in the West) are there any programs put in place teaching Somali kids, how to read and write in Somali? Almost every Somali child I come across has no grasp of Somali and this is truly troubling to me, I am thinking of starting a program in my community and looking for feedback.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't think there are many , if any, Somali lang programs. Children learn to speak it in the home but not how to read and write it.

Go for it.

STOIC   

Ashkiro, let me know when you start one me and my little future basketball squad will enroll...I feel bad for my kids, their daddy is Somali illiterate and mommy is a Canadian raised brat... My house will be a new version of ENGLISH/SWAHILI/SOMALI....The swahili is for me and my kids only so we talk behind their moms...

^ lool @ behind their moms

Ashkiro, we really lagging behind in this department. Unfortunately most of parents dont see this as important or in priority for their children development. For many parents somali is not the main language spoken at home. There are also parents who really want their children taught somali but they lack of resources and support. I myself used to work as somali teacher for three years and can help you share with my experiences in this field.

Jacpher   

Good program. Here in ceelgaabta Soomaalida, there are some schools that offer it to Somali kids. I know of few students that take Somali language class in their elementary school.

Once they pick up English very well, Somali won't be that hard for them. Letter pronounciation is the main problem. I handed Somali kids to Somali newspaper awhile back and they could read with a little bit of help with letter pronunciations c, x, kh, sh and the most difficult one for kids dh. Come to think of it, do we have Somali letter pronunciation symbols?

^I know somali is not that hard to read but it is more than that it is about confidence building, grammar, vocabulary building (of about more than 500 hundred words), writing, suugaanta and so on

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Allamagan:

I myself used to work as somali teacher for three years and can help you share with my experiences in this field.

AfSoomaaligaan ogaa maaba macalin ku eheed? icon_razz.gif I kid!

What good is speaking/reading/writing the Somali language horta hala ii sheego? Other than speaking it at home, it really isn't good for anything else! :(

Jacpher   

KK: You must prefer your little one inay ayeeydeed back in Qardho cajalad u duubo instead of a written letter that ayeeyo can enjoy reading.

^ war wax Qardho u jiro oo KK ka naxeyso ma jiraan ama ingiriis ha kula hadleen ama quuqda ha ila dhaafeen ee taagan tahay :D

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

AfSoomaaligaan ogaa maaba macalin ku eheed?
icon_razz.gif
I kid!

KK, ad marke ka hadlooysaa marki o la shacireenooyo

[*changing language mode] mise markii dhabta ama xaqiiqda jirta aanu ka hadalno. Ma waxaad dooneysaa in aan shahaadooyinkaygii Lafoole hata borka ka soo jafjafo oo kuu soo scan gareeyo. :D

Kool_Kat   

^ :D

Haatu, I am trying to teach my daughter afSoomaali, but all of her 'how do you say this and that in Soomaali' madaxaa igu xanuunay...Just today she asked 'how do you TV in Somali?'...Seriously!

Jacphar, Ayeeyo Canada bey dhex joogtaa oo iyadaaba af Ingiriiska sanka ka daadineyso... :D

Aaliyyah   

Ashkiro thats good plan hun go for it. In Toronto there was some somali classes that they started at Ryerson university. I think it is every sunday or something and started somewhere in january if I am not mistaken. I did not check it out didnt get the time, but I believe it is probablyy some intro somali. I would think ma somali is better than that not braggin lol...but either way I hope to check it out next classes that they have. Its a good start so inshallah in the near future if not already they will have some intermediate and advanced classes for different level speakers. And, definitely something is needed for younger kids as it is then that its important to teach them somali rather than later on as language acquisition gets harder as u get older not necessary impossible but its easier teaching kids than say people who are in their late teens and early 20s.

anyhow girl I support you on this. walahi people will immensely benefit of it. But these kind of jobs are better done out of humanaterian rather than as a business. I doubt anyone would be thrilled to pay so much for somali classes. But, start somewhere and hopefully in the near future people will appreciate it. And, it can become something more established...

all the best...

Just today she asked 'how do you TV in Somali?'...Seriously!

and what was ur answer kk? I dnt even know what tv is called in somali..I usually say "tviga" that makes it more somali lol...

salaam

for those who are really interested:

Curriculum Guide for Af-Soomaali

Article explaining the guide

index.html

Somali Asset Language has six stages:

Breakthrough = primary level/very basic

Preliminary = Pre secondary GCSE (for none uk people that means General Certificate of Secondary Education) highest you can get is D - G

Intermediate = Full GCSE Cerfificate - A*-C

Advanced = AS/A Level

Proficiency = Diploma

Mastery.= University Degree

Good Luck

What good is speaking/reading/writing the Somali language horta hala ii sheego? Other than speaking it at home, it really isn't good for anything else!

Ba'ay!, Ba'ay!, Ari baayo - ma sidaan baad reer Qardhood ku tahay?? :D

haddii aad sidaas ku adkaysato - xamar iska joog yah! :D

Af-Soomaali wuxuu ku dhashay Qardho! - :cool:

Kool_Kat   

^Aniga reer Qardhood reer Xamar lagu goday baan ahay, laakiin caruurteyda ma'aha! icon_razz.gif

Wili wax su'aasheyda iiga jawaaba maleh...

and what was ur answer kk? I dnt even know what tv is called in somali..I usually say "tviga" that makes it more somali lol...

Telefishin baa ku iri...She asks too many random things ever since I started trying to teach her Somali...Waxaa iyo waxaas maxaa af Japan lagu dhahaa aa la'iska kaa weydiinaa...