Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Somali Grammar and Writing Course

Shaken-and deterred, there's standard spelling in Somali language and the Somali grammar is great. The Somali spelling follow a standard procedure, and it used to be taught in both primary and secondary schools in Somalia. The problem is that the young generation have limited interest for the knowledge of their mother tongue, and that has to do with our current crisis and disintegration.

Let me give you some examples,

Some words in Somali language require the use of double letters, but oftentimes, long and short vowels play an important grammar rule.

* Qorraxdu waa nolosha nafleyda (you can't just write Qoraxdu, that is a wrong spelling.)

* Dalkeenna xagga bari waxa ka xiga badweynta Hindiya

* Abdi waa macallinka dugsiga

* Somaliya waa waddan Afrikada Bari ku yaal

The Grammar Part.

Magac Muuqda iyo Magac Qarsoon (definate and indefinate nouns)

definate nouns are tangible ama wax la arki karo ama la taaban karo, sida:

buur, geed, qalin, faras, bad iwm.

intangible nouns.

keen, run, nabad, naxariis, caqli iwm

Somali Sentences that need transitional phrase

Waalidku waa inuu tacliin baraa carruurtu, ha yeeshee, ilmuhuna waa inay naxariis u yeeshaan waalidka.

Credit: "Aasaaska naxwaha af Soomaliga. Muqdisho: 1971.

It's time we spread out the knowledge of our mother tongue. :D

winnie   

we dont have any written literature.

we're an oral people, and unfortunately a strong factor in the survival of any language is whether or not they have a written literature.

comparing aff somali with chinese and japanese is moot.

winnie   

she is writing ABOUT somali literature... we are an oral nation, we have millions of stories, they just arent written.

your statement of thousands of written literature is hyperbolic.

whats the distribution on any of these literature pieces?

how early/when were they published?

if there are even 500 of our literatures written out i aff somali, youre still talking about things that were written within the past 50 years, not exactly staples of literature.

plus, what is literacy rate in somalia?

im not trying to insult our language, i think its beautiful, but if you and i want it to survive, than we'd better start translating some classics in aff somali, and start writing our stories on paper.

Runta hadi la sheego, af somali waa luqad foolxume oo faaido la heen. bal maxee ku taraysaa hadaad somali baratid? shaqo maku halaysaa? badana may! Marka, waqti iyo lacag yaa la iska lumin with classkaan oo xiiso yar. luqad oo muhim ah barta hadaad raadinaysaan inaa luqad kale barataan, yacni francis, carab ama shineese. Intaas waa talo.

Aaliyyah   

^^ I agree that we need to learn chinese as a second language ( or in our case third or fourth) no doubt. But, somali is essential. So, have a lil more respect for yourself and your people's native language...

Aaliyyah   

^^The more languages you learn the better off you will be. It's good to know many languages at this time. However, knowing somali and being able to communicate to your families...say grandparents, families back home. That's something that is priceless. It's sad you think otherwise even though you speak and write somali pretty well. I know so many people who struggle with somali and they feel bad about it. It seems you take it for granted.

Dhalintaan yaa iskugu keenay mahaan. Afsoomaali lama qori karo, lagumana hadli karo, haddana lama aqrin karo, oo lama fahmaayo qoraalkiisa, isla markaas ayee rabaan inay ka hadlaan qiimaha iyo laga maarmaankiisa, oo markaas sii heybad dilayaan afkeena hodanka ah. Indha adkaa oo gacmahooda isla qumanaa ku qoraan.

Haddeeba Afsoomaali ku qori lahayeen micnadaradda afkeena waxba maba ahaateen dacaayadooda raqiiska ah. Af dadoow intee kusoo qoraan markaas sii hoos dhigayaan afkeena.

NGONGE   

I would do it but it takes place tomorrow! For £66 it should be something worth doing.

Anyway, I shall do this insha allah. Any Londoners want to join me? :D

Kool_Kat   

Dadka iyaga iyo ayeeyooyinkood lookala turjumaayo aaba ugu daran...Mansho horay loo yiri 'dameerba dameerkuu ka foolxun yahay ka haraanti kulul'...Afkoodii hooyo bay wax ka sheegayaan... :eek: Anaa ni baraayo kaalaya, washamsi aan uga bilaabli lahaa, if you know what I mean... :D

Abwaan   

Originally posted by shaken and deterred:

there is no standard spelling in aff somali, what qualifies this person to teach written grammar?

lol...says who? No wonder you thought you could get away with spelling aff somali when it should be like this...Af Soomaali...if you need more information on this you should contact prof Abdalla Mansuur and Prof Issa Mohamed Siad and many others who took time to keep our language.