Sign in to follow this  
Amina daughter of Nikatau

Women Should eat before Men...it's only fair

Cabdow   

loool@the UNMANLY portion; goat cheek, goat tongue, eyes and feet.....Caadi ma ihid wallee, qosol dartii gaastariigii baad igu kicisay saacadan...thnx4nothin..lol

As for the topic, there is a Somali saying that goes "caada laga tago cara alley leedahay" Marka let it be aan kudhihi lahaa @poster, besides you guys eat (dhadhamis baad kaga fara qabsataan)while making it anywayz=)

Ibtisam   

I never want to eat after I cook, my edo told me because the smells fills you up. I would normal have a snack hrs later.

Amina, you are doing the cooking, so add self feeding time to your cooking time if it bothers you so much. And WLC to SOL.

P.s. Feeding men first, as Nephy said was the tradition, I remember when we were in miyi and we had people over, there was not enough food, and they will give the girls (4 of us at the time) I think it was called Xaaga (the food stuck to the bottom of the digis, while we took trays of hilib and barris with a cup of subag sixiin, stuck in the middle of the barris to the men.) Then when the men returned their trays, hooyo would give each of us waslaado (bits of meat left behind) and we'll (the 4girls and mum) share the left over bariis.

The guys always knew the women were waiting, so they would leave food behind, I don't think I ever saw an empty tray come back. :D

In any case, in the west there is enough food to go around, so as long as everyone eats, I don’t see the big deal. Don’t let dwell on small things, that do not affect your quality of life. Some don’t even get to eat in this world, we are fortunate enough to be arguing over who is going to get the first serve.

P.s.s. Fair??? Don't get me started on fairness :eek:

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

L0L@topic. Had you lived in Somalia, not only would you eat after men, but also save the valuable, MANLY man portion of the cow/goat meat [shoulders, legs, chest] for them, and what would you eat? yup, the UNMANLY portion; goat cheek, goat tongue, eyes and feet.

I'm glad to say I don't have those kinds of sacrificial values. Everytime I attend 'zab' or 'alla-bari', I get served first because of my gastritis excuse; 'naa eedo bastaybaan ahay gaastariig baa i haya, ii shub bariis'
:D
. It always works man!

Hehe at unmanly. Naaaah. Nobody eats eyes, feet or cheek in Somalia. Where did you grow up?

Ileen weligaa belo baad cuni jirtay :D

Originally posted by Nephthys:

none of what they told you is a 20min quickie..! try mine, Ok here we go, you will need ketchup, mustard, cheese and cheese grater or shredded cheese [that would save you some time].

OK,its very simple first you put shredded cheese in a bowl then you add decent amount of ketchup to cover shredded cheese and mustard to cover it all, now you could use electric mixer or whatever you prefer to mix it all together. Now it's optional do you want it to be more ketchup taste or mustard whatever you choose add more of it and mix and try it, if it suits your taste you're done and now you have some really weird colored type of butter that you can put on bread or ceesh and you can also put it in fridge to preserve it for next time when you want a quickie.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/t opic/6/9560/2

ElPunto   

Seriously - it's upto the women - they're the ones cooking - it's not like the men are gonna walk out without eating. Go on - establish a new tradition.

Now that we're on food based rants though - I have one of my own. Why is it at Somali gatherings all the men get is bariis and hilib - waa nala ka qaadiyaa all the macmacan. I mean who wants massive quantities of rice and meat all the time - it gets boring after a while. And besides such a lopsided diet is as bad for your health as getting the scraps.

AbAyO123   

Originally posted by Protocol:

quote:Originally posted by AbAyO123:

^^^that was not funny & it was uncalled for! :mad:

and from what i see she's new!

Alright, apologies to amina.
MUCH BETTER! ;)

AND YOUR WELCOME!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Originally posted by Ibtisam:

I never want to eat after I cook, my edo told me because the smells fills you up. I would normal have a snack hrs later.

Amina, you are doing the cooking, so add self feeding time to your cooking time if it bothers you so much. And WLC to SOL.

P.s. Feeding men first, as Nephy said was the tradition, I remember when we were in miyi and we had people over, there was not enough food, and they will give the girls (4 of us at the time) I think it was called Xaaga (the food stuck to the bottom of the digis, while we took trays of hilib and barris with a cup of subag sixiin, stuck in the middle of the barris to the men.) Then when the men returned their trays, hooyo would give each of us waslaado (bits of meat left behind) and we'll (the 4girls and mum) share the left over bariis.

The guys always knew the women were waiting, so they would leave food behind, I don't think I ever saw an empty tray come back.
:D

In any case, in the west there is enough food to go around, so as long as everyone eats, I don’t see the big deal. Don’t let dwell on small things, that do not affect your quality of life. Some don’t even get to eat in this world, we are fortunate enough to be arguing over who is going to get the first serve.

P.s.s. Fair??? Don't get me started on fairness :eek:

you can say that again ,,,,,,,,,

Think of this logically, you spend the whole day cooking and preparing the meal, and when it is time to serve you going to say "oh wait, I have to eat now first and then you can eat" it makes no sense...If you did the hard work you might as well finish it and finishing it means serving those whom you made the food for regardless of their genders.

When it comes to food, I think men are better in eating it first than women, because they tend to leave food and they don't go crazy piling up food they aren't intending to eat.

bee bye SS

Really that whats happens? In our kitchen/household found was distributed before serving, kids get feed and enough food was kept aside for the ladies of the house. And the men had their feast and ask for more, which there was plenty.And if it was just like one guest, we all joined them on the table.

Regarding functions/gettogethers female and male guest got their food served at approx the same time. If we werent having it mixed(family/couples) then women will go to the family room have food served to them and the boys of the house dealt with the men in the dining room. The feast should be enjoyed and its supposed to be time to catch up.

I think its easy to organise such a program in any household or function.

Originally posted by SCORPION_SISTA:

When it comes to food, I think men are better in eating it first than women, because they tend to leave food and they don't go crazy piling up food they aren't intending to eat.

My observations happen to defer.Men mashallah do eat ALOT but "many" are wasteful, tend to pile up on their plates and leave leftovers, which is Haram as it goes to the trash. Women on the other hand have the tendency of eating in small quantities finish their food then go for seconds. And do swipe the plates clean.

Im very impressed to see few guys eating in moderation and going for seconds than piling up and not cleaning their plates.

In addition

the rule of thirds adviced by our Prophet Mohamed SAW is very beneficial to a persons health. that is to divide your intake and fill your stomach with a - third of food, third of water/fluid and third of air. Cases of obesity,indigestion and diabetes will decrease in our community.

I like visiting somali restaurants but I opt to take takeaways if Im alone. The food they serve for 1 person can be eaten by 3. Portions are Mashallah.. a ticket to grow neema neema(bellies)!!!

Nephissa   

The food they serve for 1 person can be eaten by 3. Portions are Mashallah.. a ticket to grow neema neema(bellies)!!!

Not in my experience. I can not remember how many times I was initially disappointed when an entree arrived; kis yar bariis, labo xabo hilib, & 3 jab bataati! :mad: . I think Somali restaurants decide on what portion size to offer to a woman, maxaa dhacay dheh saxamada ragga loo wado buux-dhaaf, geeesahay ka qubanayaan. They must think women don't eat :rolleyes: . As long as I'm paying for it, I don't see how it is any of their business how much/little one eats.

Now I always tell them 'rag baa loo wadaa' and get it to-go.