Sign in to follow this  
Amina daughter of Nikatau

Women Should eat before Men...it's only fair

i've been to many muslim functions where us females are fed last even if we're responsible for the cooking we still eat after the men.....that really ticks me off cause this entire time were holed in a stuffy room with kids (kids are always assigned witht the women) and are slaving off in the kitchen so instead of being rewarded with the first serve we get regulated last and that is very unfair....

sometimes when i see these men stuffing their faces i curse them silently and shoot daggers at them ...

and before you say men cant serve the women which i have no qualms with all im suggestng is that we eat first and then the men afterwards according to our unrecognised hard work....that sounds fair right?...if u men want to be served first then you go to the kitchen and help out dont just sit their with the lads and wait to be served for not doing anything......

so ladies say it loud say it proud feed us first and not last.......

lol protocol now now is that anyway to welcome a sister? shame on you buddy.....

protocol put yourself in my shoes your out slaving for hours in a heated room with bossy and flustered ladies coming and going......when the task is done doesnt it make sense that i should eat first? afterall i did make the bloody food!!

and doesnt our religion hold the women at high esteem?

and protocol im not asking to sit with the men obviously i'll have to abide by the customs all im suggesting is that since the men do squat they should wait their turn after us....

abayo23 thanks for that sis cheers....

*If women eat before men then there will be nothing left for men .... marka women can wait but men can't.

Welcome Amina ......*

jacayalbaro what about the men finishing the food? so its ok for us to starve but god forbid if men were to......lol....wow...ummm thanks for the welcome...

ashkiro wat about wen u see them relishing the food and those poor ladies who've been cooking and cleaning wait for wat little scraps there are left.....

we should change the tradition and have the men and women cook for their respective gender that way everyone is happy and no one starves...

what ever happened to ladies first?

amina

I already apoligized, and welcome. smile.gif

it seems like a trivial problem, is there a food shortage where you live or something? How about you make enough food for everyone? Don't you think your being selfish, the whole purpose of muslim function is for a sense of community and the women to cook for the men. It defeats the purpose if you cook your own food and start eating it yourself first.

aboowe starving isnt a trivial matter i don't understand your hierarchy of importance but the rest of the world would beg to differ...just saying ;)

there is never enough food cause these men have never ending appetites and by the time it reaches us either the good food has run out or there's hardly anything left.... :mad:

i'm being selfish? me? shouldnt the person who feeds your ever expanding belly get first dig?

and the religion is quite favourable to women and i'm sure starving us isnt very islamic like.....

Ashkiro   

Amina macaanto why do you allow it :eek: , it reminds me of stories I used to hear about girls being fed after their brothers, I am very bad at geography, but I am pretty sure Melbourne is not in Africa :D . No seriously it's your house, your rules ;) . I know what you are talking about and it drives me mad, it boils down to common courtesy, but when I can help it, if we are having a xaflaad/party at my house or close relative, or the masjid and I am one of the organizers etc rest assured I will take the lead and say ladies first. Take charge smile.gif

Originally posted by Amina daughter of Nikatau:

aboowe starving isnt a trivial matter i don't understand your hierarchy of importance but the rest of the world would beg to differ...just saying
;)

there is never enough food cause these men have never ending appetites and by the time it reaches us either the good food has run out or there's hardly anything left.... :mad:

i'm being selfish? me? shouldnt the person who feeds your ever expanding belly get first dig?

and the religion is quite favourable to women and i'm sure starving us isnt very islamic like.....

Did not know Starvation was a problem in melbourn? How about a compromise? and alternate. One day the women cook and the men eat first and the next, the women cook and the men eat first.

I don't understand why somali girls make a big deal about something as trivial as 'who's cooking' and who's eating first'? If you can cook, cook!

Personally think, as soon as the food is made, everyone should dig in.

Aaliyyah   

I don't get it. why would they feed you last? and where is that? ..normally I would eat from non-somali restaurants where your gender doesn't matter. But, even when i do eat from somali restaurant...ha iska gacan cuslaadaan..I never seen them going hey you're lady go in that room and am gonna feed you last lol....maxa ka hadlasa...

sorry, but you do need to elaborate as to where and who??....are you talking abt somali weddings? and those are either separate meaning they are feeding the boys at the morning and girls at night...or it's mixed and they are feeding everyone at the same time...

please do give us details...and yes you have to do something about that ..How dare they eat before you..... ;)

Edit: now that I read it again. It seems you are talking about your household. Why don't you serve it at the same time??...or if you are serving the men first just out of respect to the guests, why don't you just make enough food for everyone....that way after you serve them you will have enough food left ....or you can always order pizza markay kuwii hunguri badnaa ka cunaan waxaad sacado karinasay maskiin..anyways I love pizza more than somali food anyday... :D

salaam

Nephissa   

L0L@topic. Had you lived in Somalia, not only would you eat after men, but also save the valuable, MANLY man portion of the cow/goat meat [shoulders, legs, chest] for them, and what would you eat? yup, the UNMANLY portion; goat cheek, goat tongue, eyes and feet.

I'm glad to say I don't have those kinds of sacrificial values. Everytime I attend 'zab' or 'alla-bari', I get served first because of my gastritis excuse; 'naa eedo bastaybaan ahay gaastariig baa i haya, ii shub bariis' :D . It always works man!