Sign in to follow this  
grasshopper

Too young for hijab?

Kool_Kat   

It is important to let children be children. At the age 4 or 5 all they should be worried about is playing with their dolls/toys or watching their favourite cartoon or playing house, not if they should remember to wear their ‘hijab’ to the playground or when going outside...They shouldn’t be burdened with religion practices or cultural believes at that early age bisinkee... Children should be Children, nothing more, nothing less...There would come a time when the child is interested/curious and will ask questions about diinta, or why his/her parents do certain things, it is at that time the parent could talk to them about it and may be (just may be) introduce certain practices if the child feels comfortable with it...

When my two year old sees her father praying, she stands next to him and imitates him; or would say ’shhhhhhhhhhhhhh’ if she sees me talking while he is praying...Wax aan barnay ma'ah intaa meel la fariisanay in la aamuso markii la tukanaayo, but wax eynaga aragtay...Certain things they will pick up on their own...However, parents should never rush the growth of a child...Let them learn on their own at an early age at their own base, let them ask questions, let them be independent...It is that early age a child’s self-esteem starts to build...With children it is watch and learn, not force and learn...

There isn’t a single rule or a right/wrong way of when ’hijab’ should be introduced to a child, as the beauty of our religion is its flexibly...However, I have seen too many parents forcing their children to wear it from an early age and when those children grow up ’wey tuur taan’ xjaabka. Cuz all they associate with the ’hijab’ is in lagu qasbi jiray and now that they can do whatever they want to do - heck let’s take it off - aakadhacdo. OR leave the home with their hijabs on and once they’re outside, you can bet it is ‘hijab tuurasho’ time...

No wonder dhoocilo badan markey qaangaaraan, or as I like to say it 'shiirkooda markuu usoo uro' inee iska tuuraan xijaabka...

MZanzi   

Good teachings from Islam have to be made part of our childrens lifestyle from early on. Then they wont find it difficult to practise.

PS. Dadka qaarba ka dhacsan

Chimera   

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

quote:

walahi i'm very slow in the morning, i could look at a turned off TV for a good 15 min before realizing it's ''turned off'')

Adam Z,L0L, i think that explains why are you slow. I mean if you can watch a tv that is off,perhaps,eating rodhi slowly is not thaaaat of an issue huh? Bigger issues ka fikir,like say,i dont know....absent mindedness?
smile.gif

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

quote:

Originally posted by Adam Zayla:

(walahi i'm very slow in the morning, i could look at a turned off TV for a good 15 min before realizing it's ''turned off'')

:DDon't tell me you guys wake up in the morning 100% alert and ready....

if i have to be somewhere at 8:30 i wake up at 6:30

06:30 alarm goes off - i reset it to 06:45

06:45 alarm goes off - i reset it to 06:50

06:50 alarm goes off - i open my eyes and stare at the ceiling till it's about 07:10

7:10 i brush my teeth

7:20 i open my closet and pick something to wear

7:25 i sit on my bed and wonder where i put the clean socks

7:30 i enter the kitchen

7:35 me and my cornflakes enter the livingroom - i eat my cornflakes very fast xaax delicious..

- from 07:40 to 08:00 is a brutal battle fought internally between the forces of lazynimo and the kellogs gives you energy army

warya Adam carbaar iska jiifso wa okay, don't worry - lazycrew

no Adam don't listen to them, your a healthy fit young man, you shall not sleep not on my watch *Pocoock* (kellogs bird)

An outsider looking at my blessed face of course will not notice this epic battle that's going on. So Faraaxbrawn and Valentina what are your opinions 'now' of my mental absence from this world in that small time space?

it's understandable right?

rofl!

^ :D

L0L @ you... Several things wrong with this picture,L0L. I dont even know where to start Adams,but for starters, i will only mention the most wrong one of it all: Eating cornflakes!-OK. Thats just wrong on many levels chiefly because, No self respecting Farax should ever eat cornflakes in the am,That is sooooo cadaan(not you Liban,Youre more Somali that an Adan Zay) smile.gif

10minutes? :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Indoctrination here we come.
:D

Ibti,

You just made that list up. Sounds like a sexed up advert for the Hijab. A load of hogwash of course.

North,

I probably went to the Mosque at or around that age too. But did your father take you to the Mosque for EVERY prayer? We are not talking about gently introducing an infant to the Hijab; we're talking about it becoming a permanent piece of attire.

I have not been convinced by any of these arguments.

North, I'll leave it here.

Cara,

A nine year old understands much much more than children under the age of five. In fact, I'd go as far as arguing that a nin-year-old would understand more than many adults. Plus, it is really not that hard to explain why they need to wear the hijab. Still, if you were following the discussion you would have noticed that I was not arguing about nine year olds (the beaten up bit was a throw away comment to dismiss the little trap that North was laying for me there). Do keep up, my dear. Don't let my ego get in your way. icon_razz.gif

ps

Those talking about the ignorance of the deen are being foolishly obtuse there. If you believe people discussing this topic are being ignorant, this is your chance to educate them. Otherwise, just sit on the sidelines and leave the grownups to it. smile.gif

Aaliyyah   

kids should start wearing hijab from the age of 5 maybe like on and off...get them to get use it. while you explain to them why they are wearing . The meaning behind it...and insha allah as they get older they will wear it. Personally, I started wearing hijab when I was 7, and never took it off since then. I guess understanding why you wear it is important, but you also need to get use to it. You can't just expect a 10 yrs old to start wearing it if you never taught them before...learning is a process..and the earlier you teach them the better.

wa salaamu alaikum

Cara.   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Do keep up, my dear.

I don't think I can Ngonge, what with having to figure out which bits are throw-away lines and which bits are facetious nuggets, and which points I should ignore because you're just springing a trap and/or testing our acumen or any other number of obfuscating smoke-screens. I just don't have the stamina I used to...

Hayat   

but to cover a child or make a mini-tent of little girls who have yet to know why and how they must hide themselves and most importantly from who, is an innocent parental abuse and protectionistic at best or and a parental show-off at worst, if not an outright enforced-mal-parenting.

so you would prefer them to not have any sense of their being or who they are and suddenly have an "identity crisis". this is also called "parental neglect". everyone will be accounted for their actions, your parents will not take the blame for your fate, but its their responsibility to install the values which are imperimative for the rest of your life. you have to know where you came from and where you are going isnt that existence?. when you grow you have a choice to leave this or become what you want to be, but at least they have done their duty and are no longer accountable and at least their children know a part of themselves and that is the recognition that they have a past.

letting your children to walk blindly and bewildered is "neglect".

its abuse when their parents want them to cover up, but its also a "paranormal" way of living if they chose to cover when they grow up. :rolleyes: you shouldnt be arguing "too young for a hijab" rather "no hijab at all".

Nephissa   

Originally posted by grasshopper:

Is there such thing as too young to wear the hijab?

I was just going through posts and I saw another member's signature which had a small girl wearing the hijab. that brought me back to the time I visited Somalia and I saw all these little girls (children no older than 9) wearing hijab as part of their school uniform. a 7-year-old wearing the hijab...to me, that's a bit off.

I'm not trying to be the devil's advocate or anything; I'm just sincerely curious what you guys think.

No girl is ever too young for a hijab. It's better to teach them young and get them in line, so that they don't feel embarrassed by it when they're older. Practice makes perfect!

Looking back, I grew up in a really great home, but my dear parents have done me a grave injustice by not instilling the love of the hijab into me in my younger age. Wearing it wouldn't have been this constant struggle I continue to battle to this day had I grown accustomed to it. :(

May Allah make it easy for us [non-wearers], Insha Allah.

ps: is it just me or looks like that little girl in Adam's sig. is wearing a towel on her head? If it's hijab that's one heavy one. Muxuu madaxa huray maskiinada yar toloow!

Chimera   

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

^
:D

L0L @ you... Several things wrong with this picture,L0L. I dont even know where to start Adams,but for starters, i will only mention the most wrong one of it all: Eating cornflakes!-OK. Thats just wrong on many levels chiefly because, No self respecting Farax should ever eat cornflakes in the am,That is sooooo cadaan(not you Liban,Youre more Somali that an Adan Zay)
smile.gif

what's wrong with Kellog's sxb?

I belong to the generation of Farax's that were raised in women dominated households - I, my father and my brothers were always outnumbered, so i had very little to say when it came to what i wanted to eat or wear(traumatic experiences). Kellog's is a good reminder of that

quote:

10minutes?
:Dyeah that's when i always think about my daily life and stuff.. :D

Chimera   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

ps: is it just me or looks like that little girl in Adam's sig. is wearing a towel on her head? If it's hijab that's one heavy one. Muxuu madaxa huray maskiinada yar toloow!

Maybe hijabkii Hooyodeyd leh qiishatay, my nieces do it all the time.

Salama alaykum,

All that I wanted to say in this thread has been said, but I would like to add that it irks when we I see little 2 year olds wearing the full jilbab. It's cute, but they're just 2 years old subhan'Allaah, they don't even fully understand why their mother covers so why put it on them? Let them understand the religion, don't make it an obligation upon a child especially one that young. :confused: