Sign in to follow this  
Elysian

Somali race?????

OG_Girl   

LOL sister, don't give up. Your point is clear to me , I also can understand why people confused , they mix between Race and ethnic .

Race : we all from Human Race (Adam and Eve) .

Ethnic : different culture, Language, Physical appearences,goecrapy..etc...these ALL under Nations and Tribes NOT Race since we all from ONE father and mother.

Salam

Changed   

How are u looking at it Elysian?

I didn’t say we cant breed with other races; all I said was Somali is a race: and u certainly didn’t clarify your view on: Somalis marrying other Somalis you used it as an example only and said we Somalis are racist because we don’t marry other races (which I disagree with b/c I know handful Somalis that are married to other races) to breed is to give birth to an offspring and when one marries someone of another race I would assume they would produce children don’t u think.:. I will also assume that when a Somali individual marries another Somali individual they would be interbreeding. The question you asked was not about Somalis marrying other Somalis because of race; it was if Somali is a race and I merely responded to that.That should clearify the misunderstanding smile.gif

Senora   

There is no medical or biological scientific research today that will support the concept of different races among human being.

I agree with you there Elysian

What exactly would the characteristics be that outline racial groups?

With Politically inclined's definition...Race can be defined as:

-A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history ( heredity), nationality, or geographic distribution: we really got nowhere.....

Now we have to keep in mind that ethnicity is also defined as this...(Which i must add is better suited than the word "race)

-An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies

The fact of the matter is Today The biological understanding of race has led to hopeless disagreements among many biologist, geneticists, sociologists, and physiologists alike. And as Ely stated, there just isnt significant research today that support the concept of race.

Now many in support of the notion race, try and define it as categories on the basis of hereditary characteristics that differentiate them from other groups. So in a sense the categorization of physical types. Now my objection to the term race is brought about when we unfold the many flaws with this sorting.

Now the idea that race as a biological idea holds no water...As Ely and many others pointed out...humans interbreed...therefore our genes are interchangeable. So that leave us with a wide variety of "physical" types around the world.

Lets look at Somali's. Are we a race? What classifications are used to describe the "typical" Somali? Lets see..

fine hair

brown/yellow skin

Muslim

Speaks Somali

Shares the Somali culture

What happens to a Muslim Somali girl who is very light skinned, has kinky hair, and her and her parents were born in UAE?

The only distinct Somali characteristic we can assume is that she is muslim? But what happens then? Is it only good enough that your father has some Somali in him? Even if a few of his great grandmothers were Arab, English, Italian, and Chinese? Are you to neglect the other "races", or "ethnicities"?

I feel like I've lost my train of thought there....

Another problem is the racial categorization. Are we categorizing based on religion ( Jewish race)? nationality ( Somali race) or skin color (Black race)?

I wanted to also comment on Moti's statements?...This idea that races are defined on their different biological components?...

I'll use your examples to argue what I think?

the white race is more tolerant to alcohol than asians ( yellow)

Ive read something before that mentioned many reasons for this. For one..it showed that people with a family history of alcoholism tend to tolerate alcohol better than others. This is because they inherit something that makes it harder for them to recieve warning signals that generally make people stop drinking. ( dizziness, headaches and so forth). *Asians are said to become flush when drinking* In many European cultures, drinking alcohol is part of the culture (i.e: Irish). But, its not typically the same with Aians.

HOWEVER , for a "white" person whose family doesnt drink...we can expect the same reaction from an Asian whose family doesnt srink as well. Same goes with an Asian that has drinking running in their family: they'll be able to tolerate it!...

I feel like I've written a lot, so I wont argue about the black person running faster....( but if you want me to I will!)

In conclusion, this "biological component" stuff is just like the term “raceâ€...a sweeping generalization that can’t be taken seriously due to its enormous variation in thought.