Sign in to follow this  
asiya

are somalie women ever gonna be equal in terms of the role they play in their country

asiya   

women and politics????? will somalie women play a ever play a big role in their countries politics or will it always be a mans world. smile.gif

Blessed   

I am not really into Politics. But I think it's time for a revival of Araweelism.

I know many sistas who are capable of taking on the role of running country and a few politically active ones also. it just that people tend to keep women's efforts on the hush. Which is understandable cos women don't go arround killing or inticing others to kill.

Time for Araweelo the second.... any candidate? I'll be you capaign manager :D

come on my sister you can do better than that.

islamically speaking it's forbidden for a woman to govern because we all know how women are soft hearted compared to men and if you're soft then it means you are not doing justice for yourself and the ppl who got you there.

somali ladies are known to be the back bone of the household and the decision making nodoubt about that.

look at your family now and tell me howmany wise decisions did your mum made for the family? so i think it's unfair especially for somali ladies to think of the so-called faminism coz we always had a respect for our somali ladies,

we never raped our women, never tortured them

physically so we respect our women more than any nation and ironically it's a woman who taught us to do us our dear mothers so in my opinion somali women always had a very vital role to play in her community be it the decision mAKing or looking after the wellbeing of the family.

most of us are raised in a household where the mother played the role of the leader so we can't think like KUFFAARTA and say it's time women became the presiednt it's forbidden and we are muslims so my sister you always had a role to play in your community and i can't see it changing in a near future but it's good to have an educated female than an illetrate male so OUR WOMEN YOU WERE ALWAYS OUR LEADERS WHILE THE WEST IS ONLY BEGINING TO SEE IT NOW. girls it's time you become PROUD OF YOUR SOMALI MALES. :D

Istaahil   

asiya u started a really good topic. sis when were our women ever in politics. the only woman i remember and heard of is Araweelo, and ........ thats it. 80-90% of them were illiterate and were taught only how to cook, clean and married so young. somali women are very srtong but its men like our bro here ABDURAHMAN that puts us back.

forget bout being president or going into politics wat bout the way they are severly attacked if they drive on the roads of somalia. does our religion accept that.

so its not our religion thats stopping it, its our culture. dont forget allah sees man and woman equal and will treat them equal on qiyamaa.

and abdurahman you said somalia women are respected and were never raped? thats all louds of crap because they were and still are especially these days wit the war in the south, they r raped if they refuse to marry those that ask 4 them, they r raped if they r on the streets alone.

Blessed   

Istaaahil.

Muwah sweetie. Couldn't have put it better myself!

AbduRahman,

Islamicly speaking there is NO Isliamic state in the world today. So wether we have female heads of states or not. The political systems in place in most muslims countries today are Islamically forbidden. What I don't get is why people are so selective about their Islamic Shariacia. Seems like we only refer to it when it backs up our argument.

Having said that, I will not argue with that fatwa. But thats not to say that women are not allowed to play role within the political system. one would only have to refer to Aisha (ra)...... and there goes your theory of weak, soft dumb women ;):D

I am not a feminist... just know that i can be more then a house wive courtesy of dads upbringing. And we love our Somali men... I think they are the least chuvenistic.... Love em ;)

Subxanallah don't bite the brother's head off. He's not making these things up from his own mind. Because Islamically a woman is not allowed to be a president or a ruler of a country. That doesn't mean we should be limited to cooking and cleaning and taking orders from our husbands. We're encouraged to be educated and seek a profession that safe guards our rights as women. When you think you're fighting for the rights of women, you're actually going against Allah's word. If women were allowed to rule and govern countries, we would be allowed to lead to salah as well, but i'm sorry to say that, that isn't the case my sisters. We don't need to go with everything the kuffar say, we've been granted our rights 1400 years ago. And no one is any position to disagree with the rules set forth by Allah and his Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him). I don't mean to offend anyone in anyway, and i'm very sorry if I have. And i'm speaking generally, I hope no one thinks that i'm attacking them personally. But hey its the 21st century, and most of us are grown adults, who are entitled to their own opinions, even if they do happen to go against our Islamic Law (Again i'm not referring to anyone in general.)

And Asiya to answer your question "will somali women play a ever play a big role in their countries politics or will it always be a mans world?" I strongly doubt to see a female somali president anytime soon. Especially considering the condition that our country is in, and also conisdering the roots of our country. Right now I think the closes country to have a female leader anytime soon, would be without a doubt The United States Of America. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Condellisa Rice, or Hilary Clinton running for president in the near future.

All,

I think what Asiya & Ameenah are trying to say is "Women Can play a ROLE in Muslim country, not necessarilya state leader". I think they can and there is nothing wrong with it.

In contrast we are claiming to be Muslims but unfortunetly there is no real Muslim Gov in today's age... Unfortunetly again the west seem to be a better (well run adminstration).. So I don't think we can deny any kind of role for them today untill we come up a real muslim Gov.

Mad luve

smile.gif

Yeniceri   

Asalamu Calaykum,

Wonderful topic. Like Ameenah stated, the globe currently lacks a truly 'Islamic state', other than Iran. So the matter of female heads of state in Muslim countries is, under our status quo of today, acceptable. Bhutto of Pakistan in the recent past, and today's Indonesian President Megawati. The irony is Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim country!

On to the question of the status of Somali women. One of the sisters mentioned Somali women being abused for driving on roads? Personally speaking, I never heard of that. If it happened, I hardly think its right to blame the entire male population. I think that Somali women are the fabric of Somali society. Somali men are dead. They chew khat and fight each other constantly. I wouldn't mind to have a capable female in leadership, since none of our so-called 'leaders' of today are truly leaders of anything other than a few armed bandits!

Sidaa iyo nabadgelyo!

Blessed   

Shakuur and Wiil Nugaal

Thank you for understanding my point of view.

Simple Woman.

Try and comprehend our views before lecturing us walaalo.

We haven't said that it is Islamically okay to have a female president.

My point was that muslims don't practice Islam in political afairs ... unless it invovles refusing women opportunities to have an active role is society.

-KIWI   

Asalaamu calaykum.

I would like to say that i agree with simple women 100%,walaalo i didnt think you lecture us but rather informed us in an impeccable manner.

I just wish that all somali sisters would have to struggle to employ to abondon all these ridicules ideas of somali women ever playing a big role in politics,thus we should note that sahabiyat ( women companions)have played a prominent roles in politics.We should understand that men have a degree over us,therefore their are our leaders.

Anyway look at New Zealand we have women prime minister,after all we are the first country in the world to allowe women to vote,yet the most so called civilised country in the world has not yet had a women president.

Imagine a somali women running for elections, what can i say but that i will ridicule

her with laughter knowing the fact that somali society still desires a women to be utterly useless. :eek: