Sign in to follow this  
Vanquish_V12

Cancer in Somalian females

Since there is no authority collecting statistical information on this i was just wondering if any of you, have a general idea of what are the most common types of cancers that occur in somalian females, not abroad but in the country.

well thats expected since somalis suffer from hight rates of hypertension, high cholestrol, and type II diabetes ( more commonly know to us sucarow).

asked about cancer because the onset of cancer is more related to environment rather genetics.

breat cancer i'd exptected but do u know how often

THINK TANK -

SXB they deal with outbreaks of cholera and malaria in Somalia more often than cases of cancer. It would be interesting to find the statistics but I bet you, at least proportionally, there's more Somali females abroad effected by the illness than Somali females in Somalia! And I'm simply basing my conjecture on the foods we consume out here in the Western Hemisphere.

wind talker, thats because somalia is a tropical country, and those disease come in epidemic waves, usualy through the same source of contamination. but let me tell u just because u dont hear about it doesnt mean heart attacks, cancers and diabetes are not the silent killers, much like the developed world, i know for certain many somalis suffer from high blood sugar levels, and hypertention.

Warmoog   

Originally posted by think_tank:

Somalis suffer from high rates of hypertension, high cholestrol...

Subag, xalwad... need I say more? Lol, considering our general fondness for sugar and fat, I'm not surprised.

Originally posted by wind talker:

I bet you, at least proportionally, there's more Somali females abroad effected by the illness than Somali females in Somalia! And I'm simply basing my conjecture on the foods we consume out here in the Western Hemisphere.

I agree. And it’s not only the foods we eat, but also the atmosphere and pollution we’re exposed to that ‘s causing all sorts of unusual allergies and conditions, which are new to Somalis.

Salaama.

Haniif,

down syndrome is a genetic defect due non-disjuntion of the human chromosome 21, therefore the baby ends up with 3 homologous chromosome 21 instead of just 2. and according to geneticist the probability of this happening increases dramatically as a women ages for example in 20s females the probablity is 4 per 10000 babies but in females over 35 the probablity is 200 in 10000. The reason why only the age of the women matter, instead of both partners, is related to how the gametes are made. in the case of the men sperm cells take 60 days to mature, however in women the oocyte has been in suspended in meiosis for 30-40 years and hence a lot older and more prone to mutations are altertionsl.

Therefore, i dont think this applies to only somalis, and indeed it has been observed down sydrome is on the rise simply because women are having babies much later than they used to.

i hope this clarifies it for u.

wassalam

Som@li   

asalamu alaykum

i heard there is a big surge of cancer cases"esp breast,leukemia,stomach cancer "among somalis back home, (and also many other diseases which were uncommon before the war)

This may be related to the continues dumping of radioacive wastes by foriegn companies.

Gabbal   

Both my mother and only sister were diagnosed with Thyroid disease (i'm told it can become cancerous if not treated), and a younger sister of my mother's died of cancer a decade ago.