Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Translation:

Cara.   

FB, is that how you got through middle school? A hug from the teacher every time you got an answer right?

What is jaundice?

^ in the north of somalia.

during construction there is two levels of labour involved the kuuli is purely physical labour does such things as mix the cement, filter the sand, carry the buckets etc.

but the wastaad's job includes some skill he oversees the day to day progress makes sure the walls are straight, the bricks are watered untill they become hard enough, the face of the rock is smooth etc.

in the south I only hear of fuundi..... which i think is equivalent to kuuli

^ maybe because it is two different environments geographically.

in the north most of the building is done by using huge slabs that are shaped like very large bricks it is the main job of the wastaad to carve the rock so it can be used in the building process.

whereas in xamar the building rocks used are completely different much softer which probably negates the need for a wastaad in the first place.

Waiter = Kabanyeeri

Cara.   

LOZ, we are pleased to announce that the plant from Little Shop of Horrors is your hugger this evening.

Hiya Pujah.

Nephissa   

@Pujah: I don't know what's worse; me not knowing how to say "waiter" in Somali or you, who think "kabariyeeri" which is derived from the Italian word "cameriere" is af Somali? :D .

Originally posted by Shar ma'arke:

And what do you call these tools in Somali;
Screwdriver, saw, a hammer, chimney and a nail
(not cidida).

Thanks.

Badanaa Soomaalida saan ayee u yaqaanaan, qaas ahaan Reer Koonfureedka.

Screw = bool

Screwdriver = kashawiito

Saw [jigsaw] = miinshaar

Hammer = burus

Chimney = saqaf [shoolad]

Nail = musbaar

Pliers [pincer] = biinso

Drill = dalooliye

Wrench = kiyaawo

Crowbar = sabarad

Axe = faas

Shovel = badiil

------------

Geeljire, "kabanyeeri" xee ahayd? Carabgajonimo miyaa waxaas? :D Kabalyeeri lee ku ogaa aniga. About fuundi, what about faryaamo? See lagu dhahaa faryaamo in Ingiriis? Carpenter?

-Lily-   

Ok unless you all took up construction I don't see how this is helpful at all...

Cadaan, don’t let anyone make you think ‘dooro’ is a bad word. As far as I know they’re cute little chickens. You can also use Digaag which sounds slightly more brutal.