Sign in to follow this  
ADNAAN

Jobs in the UAE THREAD

ADNAAN   

Guys I want to know how the job market is doing in the UAE, especially the engineering sector excluding construction. I looked at companies like ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia and they are asking for a bloody 12 yrs experience when I haven’t even earned a penny yet. I assume the emarti ones are the same. Any suggestions from those who live in arabta as to which companies might be offering graduate jobs.

I know it is always good to start with a graduate development job in the UK and then transfer but that is even becoming tricky to find now unless one is willing to work in the remotest of areas like small towns in the middle of no where.

In fact, we can use this thread to update each other on any interesting jobs that some of us might want 2 apply for

N.O.R.F   

Adnaan, are you a civils man?

The job market here has been hugely effected by the economic down turn. Dubai has seen the worst of it with major projects cancelled or put on hold over recent months. This has seen many people lose their jobs on all sides (contractors, consultants and developers).

Are you looking to work for a contractor? Where do you live?

ADNAAN   

Norf, no it is not civils bro, but mechatronics and as you know it overlaps a lot with mechanical but the fields is wide ranging.

As for contractors, I don’t really know much about their terms of employment though I guess must be temporary. If the pay is good and the contract is at least more than 2 years I wouldn’t really mind working for them to be honest. Lakiin, as a safety net I have secured a couple positions here in the UK where I live which I think are bit unethical but I will keep them incase the job hunt becomes even more difficult.

You r right about Dubai, the construction boom is gone and it looks as if though Al nahyan is paying for some of this by bailing the Makhtoum’s out. But depending on how quick this recession subside Dubai is in a good position to get bck to the fast lane.

N.O.R.F   

Adnaan,

Good stuff. Working for contractors doesn't mean you get a fixed term contract with them. They will employ on a permanent basis just like any other company.

Contractor - the firm doing the actual building work (by employing sub contractors etc). Once the job is done they move onto another. Good place to get your experience. Thats what I did before moving into consultancy.

What unethical issues will you be facing?

They are saying Dubai will pick up again in 2010.

ADNAAN   

^^ that kinda job sounds definitely good.

working for defense companies is something am still mulling over, not an easy decision to make.

norf , you must have had some experience before u moved to their. Do u think there is a chance of landing a good job w/out having any experience, and if so which companies do u suggest.

Indhoos   

While you are on this topic of jobs, What is the market like for female educators, in UAE?

I am very interested in this...

Thanks

N.O.R.F   

^If you do your research I don't see why not.

Adnaan,

I would suggest you do 2 to 3 years where you are then move to the ME. Companies don't generally hire graduates over here. You will land a plumb job once you have a few years under your belt.

Nehanda   

I don't get why the middle east companies ask for so many yrs of experience. Honestly in my field for the advertised jobs that I have seen so far they require at least 5yrs of experience as if they do not believe one can achieve that position without numerous yrs of work placement. Plus why do they not state how much pay is involved without contacting the agency or company. Surely it should be transparent and competitive.

Baashi   

Beware the job insecurity in projects. Projects -- which is what UAE has in most cases -- will always end. It is a big decision that should not be made lightly. The other thing is this place is expensive. Take that into account. You might also end up living away from where Somali live!! Feeling lonely all of that.

On the brighter side the money is good, free accommodation, no taxes, transportation provided, etc. Good deal overall. But it will end on project completion.

By the way, I met this guy who got laid off. They gave him one month notice. Did you got the picture. It is not all shax-shax.