Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

Somalis are not homogenous?

from Boromo to Hargesia to Las Anod to Garowe to ceel boor to Mog-town to Kismayo people speak one language. Mai-mai WTF. There is no room for diversity in a homogenous somalia.

i dont know too much about them....but from what i do know (and inshallah if im mistaken please do correct) is that the somali bantu's are also known as 'midgaan' or giireerka - which includes tribes such as ********* - to the majority somalis...... they do understand somali but most somalis dont understand them.....they speak af maay.... somalia is oviously not a homogenous country.....'main stream' somalis are unable to precisly pinpoint where their from.... even though orginaly most of the buntus were from countries like malawi...they are still somali....just like the ....baarwani people who again arent orginally somali...but still are they have a totally different culture and speak barawi- or something like that.....

Pujah   

Why do we have one of these threads pop up every couple of months to tell us Somalis are not homogeneous? I mean really who cares. :rolleyes:

Afromantic GirL: thnks...wouldnt have thought it, since i didnt use it in a negative way....but understandable.... but i think they should have blocked 'midgan'or jireer since they are both really offensive.

Aah, Mr. Eenoow. Not again, though about this dude.

This guy is a bit well-known, Soomaalida iskool Ingiriis lagu barto kulahaa too, oo dad badan Ingiriis soo baray. He, however, wrongly believes dadkiisa inay all the time victim yihiin, oo la caburin jiray. He may have a point, but wixiisa waa too much. Some of them even believe -- or try telling other uninformed non-Soomaalis -- in iskoolada loo diidi jiray. What the...?

they do understand somali but most somalis dont understand them.....they speak af maay...

Afmaay is Afsoomaali, the other branch being Afmaxaatiri.

Same like those "Bantus" in Shabeellada Dhexe, Hiiraan and Qalaafe, who speak Afmaxaatiri, the people called "Bantu" in Shabeellada Hoose, Gedo, Baay and Jubbooyinka speak Afmaay, where it is the land they reside where the dialects are spoken at.

And not all the "Bantus" are from some other nations. Some of them are as native to our country as any other Soomaali. Isku wada mid ma'aha, siiba kuwa dego Shabeellada Dhexe iyo Hiiraan. Kuwa Jubbooyinka ayaa recent arrivals ah, some of them who to this day retained their native tongues from other African countries.

but from what i do know (and inshallah if im mistaken please do correct) is that the somali bantu's are also known as 'midgaan' or giireerka

Yes, you are mistaken. "Bantus" are not ethnic Soomaalis, whereas the other is. Jareer and the other derogatory term is not interchangeable, either.

P.S. - I am putting a quatation mark on the "Bantu" word because we Soomaalis never called them a word or term like this. It is a recent all encompassing term, coined by non-Soomaalis.

money   

homogeneity and having different dialect is two things. There are some statistics that say half of the Somalis, specially those who live between the two rivers speak Mai, which is a very progressed dialect of the Somali maxay. Linguists say a language evolves and progress when it drops its harsh sounding constants as Xa, which becomes Ha or Ca which evolves into Aa. But then Arabic one of the oldest languages of the world retains those sounds even though some Arabic dialect managed to get rid of these harsh consonants.

Arabs speaks Arabic and are not homogeneous but the case for Somalia is different. Somalis are of two branches SAB and SAMAALE and have two main dialects MAI and MAXAY - there are other dialects as the ooji, brawani..and so on.

Somali Maxaa speaking people who supposedly make up the majority need to acknowledge the existence of other Somali dialects and not be shocked or react when they see other Somalis asserting their dialects, groupings, differences, or minor things sets them apart from the mainstream Somali.

Enoow is an advocate for Somali Bantu cause and he has done a great job and thus needs to be congratulated and encouraged. I met him twice in Toronto and one time in Minneapolis. He does what he does for a reason and he enjoys the reaction and the surprises on people's faces..very smart Somali!!

Castro   

This is what one "Somali" wrote about Omar Eno's video:

Maay maay is your slavery language not the SOMALI language and is being used by your ppl and seen the fact you aren't somali
we dont consider it as a language that is been used by somali ppl but by ppl who worked for the great somali ppl.

This man really got me upset, I feel the ppl dont take the somali ppl not serious anymore.
How can these slave claim that he is a fullfledged somali. SUBHANNALLAH

Subxaan-Allah. What a worthless timo-jilic ba$tard.