Waa jeclaan lahaa kuwa kale hadda joogo jagooyin ka haayo Soomaaliya iyo kuwa soo socdaba ku wada deydaan madaxweynaha. This is a brave and an exemplary move. I hope kuwa kale ku wada deydaan.

Somalia President Farmajo denounces US citizenship

Somalia President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo has renounced his United States citizenship.

President Farmajo renounced his US citizenship despite the Somalia Constitution allowing for dual citizenship.

It is reported that legal experts, nationalities and citizenship authorities from Somalia and US were involved in the process.

Xigasho

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

P.s. I must admit I didn't expect this.

No one expected this. How leaky Soomaali governments are - regional amd otherwise - this was completely out of no where especially considering this might have been ongoing for months.

I say once again good for madaxweynaha; it means no cushy plan B foreign country to run to when the challenges become harder. He is committed.

cadnaan1   
2 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

No one expected this. How leaky Soomaali governments are - regional amd otherwise - this was completely out of no where especially considering this might have been ongoing for months.

I say once again good for madaxweynaha; it means no cushy plan B foreign country to run to when the challenges become harder. He is committed.

Laakiin sharciga maraykanka soonma dhigaayo in qofka haysta dhalasho American inuu San noqon Karin madaxweyne wadan kale, dhawr jeerna uu farmaajo kaga baaqday shirkii UN ka New York.

Good on him but I think this has something to do with not being able to attend UN head of states assembly as an American passport holder.  Plus September is a month away.  I could be wrong but it's a good example nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, cadnaan1 said:

Laakiin sharciga maraykanka soonma dhigaayo in qofka haysta dhalasho American inuu San noqon Karin madaxweyne wadan kale, dhawr jeerna uu farmaajo kaga baaqday shirkii UN ka New York.

Sheekada waxee u egtahay inaynan ahayn black and white issue.

Can a US citizen become a president in another country?

The president of Lithuania was a long-time resident of Hinsdale, Illinois; however, he renounced US citizenship to become president.

The King of Thailand, who died recently, was born in Massachusetts, and was probably a US citizen for this reason.

Eamon deValera was born in New York, and was therefore a US citizen. He eventually became prime minister, and then president, of Ireland. I can’t find anything suggesting that he renounced US citizenship, and in fact, it is possible that his American background is what saved him from execution after a 1916 rebellion against the British.

The new president of Somalia is apparently a US citizen.

Golda Meier was a US citizen, although she became prime minister, not president, of Israel.

The president of Guyana (who was the wife of an earlier president, who died) was from the US, and must have been a US citizen - whether she remained one when she became president of Guyana, I do not know.

Boris Johnson was a US citizen, but he may have renounced.

So I think it has probably happened several times, although it’s not always easy to determine the US citizenship status of some of the possible candidates.

Xigasho