Sign in to follow this  
LuCkY

Rush to Judgment?

LuCkY   

Racist or Realist?

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is "the best in the business," according to his coach. But ESPN's Rush Limbaugh says McNabb is unjustly hyped because the media wants a black quarterback to succeed. Is Rush right? Or is he the one guilty of unjust hype?

McNabb Calls Comments 'Shocking'

By ROB MAADDI, Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (Oct. 1) - Donovan McNabb doesn't mind criticism of his performance. He's upset that Rush Limbaugh made his race an issue.

And the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback says it's too late for an apology from the conservative commentator, who said the media has overrated McNabb because they want to see a black quarterback succeed.

``It's somewhat shocking to hear that on national TV from him,'' McNabb said Wednesday. ``It's not something that I can sit here and say won't bother me.''

Limbaugh insisted Wednesday he had ``no racist intent whatsoever.'' In fact, the conservative commentator said he must have been right; otherwise, the comments would not have sparked such outrage.

Before McNabb led the Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Limbaugh said on ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

``I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said on ``Sunday NFL Countdown.'' ``There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team.''

Limbaugh did not back down during his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday.

``All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something,'' Limbaugh said. ``If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community.''

The NFL disclaimed any responsibility from Limbaugh's remarks.

``ESPN knew what it was getting when they hired Rush Limbaugh,'' league vice president Joe Browne said. ``ESPN selects its on-air talent, not the NFL.''

Chris Berman, who anchors the ESPN show, said he did not believe Limbaugh's tone or intent was malicious.

``As cut and dry as it seems in print, I didn't think so when it went by my ears,'' he said. ``I probably should have looked to soften it. We're sorry we upset a guy who got off to a rough start.''

McNabb said someone on the show should have taken on Limbaugh. Among the other panelists are former players Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson, both of whom are black.

``I'm not pointing at anyone but someone should have said it,'' McNabb said of the panelists, who also include former quarterback Steve Young. ``I wouldn't have cared if it was the cameraman.''

Limbaugh was scheduled to be in Philadelphia on Thursday to speak at a broadcast convention. McNabb said he wouldn't be welcome at the Eagles' practice.

``I really don't want to see him,'' McNabb said. ``You can say you're sorry all you want, it doesn't matter. It's been said.''

The extent of the controversy became more evident when Democratic presidential candidates Wesley Clark and Howard Dean urged ESPN to fire Limbaugh. Clark, a retired Army general, called the remarks ``hateful and ignorant speech.'' And Dean, a former Vermont governor, followed up with his own assessment - ``absurd and offensive.''

The NAACP also condemned Limbaugh's remarks, calling them ``bigoted and ignorant,'' and called for the network to fire Limbaugh or at least provide an opposing point of view on the show.

``It is appalling that ESPN has to go to this extent to try to increase viewership,'' NAACP President Kweisi Mfume said in a statement.

ESPN said: ``We have conveyed to Mr. Limbaugh that his comments were insensitive and inappropriate.''

McNabb, who was runner-up for the league MVP award in 2000 and has led the Eagles to two straight NFC championship games, said he has no quarrel with Limbaugh's comment on his ability.

``I know I played badly the first two games,'' he said.

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he has started, including 4-3 in the playoffs.

Limbaugh on Wednesday reiterated that he doesn't think McNabb is a bad player, just that he isn't as good as some media members think he is.

``This is such a mountain out of a molehill,'' he said. ``There's no racism here, there's no racist intent whatsoever.''

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused ``Rush Limbaugh Show,'' which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Clinton and now spends Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called ``the fulfillment of a dream.''

Limbaugh has helped increase the ratings for ``Sunday NFL Countdown.'' ESPN spokesman Dave Nagle said ratings are up 10 percent overall. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since 1996.

Seven black quarterbacks started games last weekend. Two other blacks who regularly start, Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota and Michael Vick of Atlanta, were out with injuries.

Asked about Limbaugh's comments, Eagles defensive end N.D. Kalu said: ``He speaks well, he's well-read, but he's an id!ot .''

Rush Limbaugh! is an ultra conversative red neck! but guess what ! he got fired today! i give thumbs to fox! ppl like him and Jerry fallwell should be shanned and couple of other in the current administration..i wont mention no names etc., dummy field etc! houston we still have a problem in california! how do we get rid of the terminator! i hope he wont be baaaaaaaaack!

LuCkY   

Hey thats good news!But i wouLdnt worry too much about arnoLd because he has competition-Bustamante is right behind with an increase in the poLLs.I think arnoLd is hype with this damn repubLicans you never know what they might have up their damned sLeeves ya know!

By The Way, since when did the word id!ot become a fouL word? :confused:

Senora   

Rush Limbaugh! is an ultra conversative red neck! but guess what ! he got fired today!

Actually he resigned, and the corporation accepted that resignation....

But if I must say, I think this is just another example of the many flaws the American people/society has. I thought Limbaugh's opinion was reasonable. He had an opinion on a particular issue, and backed it up with rational reasons. But a person can't state a logical argument without having to have someone get offended and label his claims as "ignorant".We got people here running around thinking they are so big and bad, but when some harsh criticism rolls around the corner, they go running across the street....What a bunch of sorry MoFo's. :mad: :mad: ....

Sometimes Race shouldnt be the issue, but in this case, Mcnabbs race was the issue in Limbaughs argument...and a logical one at that..It would have meant more if Mcnabb instead let his performance speak for himself...Prove to Limbaugh, the broadcasting industry, the world that he deserves all the attention he is getting...but i guess it takes a much bigger man to accomplish that job

Jaylaani   

Lucky,

This guy said what most white people are thinking. I don’t think race should be an issue when it comes to sports among other things. The thing that surprises me the most is how naïve the public can be when it comes to race in general, especially black people.

Knowing how conservative this mother****** is when it comes social issues ESPN hired this guy to boost their ratings so they can compete other networks such as FOX and HBO specials. They knew all along this guy didn’t have any sports background including Football but a big mouth and large followers. They got what they wanted and now forced him to resign so they don’t have to deal with the consequences. How insulting is that to our inelegances?

Ironically, he is coming today in Philly to address national audience about certain things regarding the media in general at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Let see the out come of that.

P.S. He made a born head statement which a lot of us don’t agree with but he was right about one thing. Regardless of his color, Mcnabb is VEEEEERY over rated as QB.

koonfur   

He said, "It was just an opinion" but that was an out-right racist. What suprised me thought was that he didn't apoligized for it. He still thinks that he is right. That's b** Sh**!

Originally posted by Princess_Sexy:

Sometimes Race shouldnt be the issue, but in this case, Mcnabbs race was the issue in Limbaughs argument...and a logical one at that..It would have meant more if Mcnabb instead let his performance speak for himself...Prove to Limbaugh, the broadcasting industry, the world that he deserves all the attention he is getting...but i guess it takes a much bigger man to accomplish that job [/QB]

You can not be serious, Mcnabb is the best QB in the NFl. What else can he prove? He went to 3

probowls and twice in a row to the NFC championship, Do you know what that means? he was only one game away to go the superbowl, besides he no WRs that are good..

Jaylaani   

Aplus,

Hold your horses…McNabb is not that good. Pro Bowl selection is nothing but a popularity contest. It doesn’t mean a thing. As far as him going to NFC championship, he lost them both and lost them badly. He was horrible in both championships. If it wasn’t for Baby Taylor returning the interception into touch down at the end of the game against the Falcons, the Eagles wouldn’t have made it to the NFC championship last years. What I am trying to say is, it was the defense that carried them and hid him well throughout his career as an Eagle. McNabb is little bit above average but not a great QB. That has nothing to do with the color of his skin. He is just not that good, and the guy was right in that regard.

koonfur   

I think you missed the bulk of what lindbough said Jaylaani. He clearly discriminated McNabb big time. He said, "The media wanted a black quarterback to succeed." That's racist. If he only said that McNabb is a horrible quarterback, then that would be his opinion and he w'd be fine now.

Lefty   

I followed this story from the news on and off and I can't really recall or pin-point any race issue from Limbough's statement. In a way, I agree with his statement and I surely believe Donovan McNabb is hyped up too much because he's one of the good black quarterbacks in this era.

LuCkY   

I can understand where he was coming from but i reaLLy beLieve he shouLd have approached the situation differentLy---he shouLd have chosen his words wiseLy.