Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry_Xu

Plastic pig banned during Ramadan

NOVELTY pig calendars and toys have been banned from a council office — in case they offend Muslim staff.

Workers in the benefits department at Dudley Council, West Midlands, were told to remove or cover up all pig-related items, including toys, porcelain figures, calendars and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet.

Bosses acted after a Muslim complained about pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the council in the run-up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan.

Muslims are barred from eating pork in the Koran and consider pigs unclean.

Councillor Mahbubur Rahman, a practising Muslim, backed the ban. He said: “It’s a tolerance of people’s beliefs.â€

What do you think? Is the council being respectful or too politically correct?

Its just laughable (the story and the paper) to be honest. I've a plastic pig too (got it for free from a fresher's fair) and it will stay where it is in my room. :rolleyes:

N.O.R.F   

Today i saw an advert in Gulf News, it read something like:

Put off your loan repayments for the month of October and you will not be charged a fee. With Ramadan approaching, it is now possible to delay your re-payments for the holy month. You will avoid paying interest! It was an Abu Dhabi based bank :rolleyes:

^^^^Doesnt that sound hypocritical? Arent all the months supposed to be Interest free??. Argh redface.gif :mad:

I hate pigs, sorry and I would feel offended if I will be presented with anything with a pig. Surprising though piglet in Winny the Pooh, looked cute but I still use to cringe. The creature is just too filthy.*can still smell the stench from the pigsty*

^^^ Just that we were prohibited to consume them doesn't mean that we should hate them!!! :D

Besides...er'..they are plastic..am sure they dont stink!!..or at least ask some perfume after they gave you the plastic pig :D

Cheers

Pujah   

What do you think? Is the council being respectful or too politically correct?

Laughable to say the least. but this gives me an idea, must run a memo through my team and ask them not to eat any snacks around me. hopefully that will work :D

Baluug   

Not supposed to have pictures of living things around anyways,so I wouldn't complain...Does sound a little too much though...

Muhammad   

looooooool @ Zu

Originally posted by iPod Athena:

I've a plastic pig too (got it for free from a fresher's fair) and it will stay where it is in my room. :rolleyes:

it is either the angels or the pigs, your choice! :D