Sign in to follow this  
Mr-Peace

Somali-African marriages

chubacka   

It def keeps things simpler if you marry some1 from ur own culture and it means u wnt have to fight ur entire family to get what u want.

At the end of the day its up to the sister, if she thinks its worth it she will fight tooth and nail so good luck to her.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Mr-Warmonger:

Che

ninyaho, that's irrelevant. If a farax marries ajnabi, the offspring are still somali, but if xalimo marries ajnabi she produces ajnabi kids. There is a difference.

There are many half Somali b*stards running around most coastal British cities (seaman babies), 90% being gaalo and you never see Somali men talking about their lack of deen / culture.

I actually know a guy, who goes to pubs and makes bets with people saying 'if you guess where I'm from, I'll buy you a pint, if you don't you buy me one'. He always gets a free pint on the Somali card.

Ah.. but he's better than that cute thawb and kufi wearing Jamaican / Algerian / Irish kid of a Somali mother, right? Waa Somaali. icon_razz.gif

I guess, we have one rule for the men and a whole encyclopedia for women.

Mr-Peace   

Blessed

Most civilized cultures have patrilineal descent, that's how the world works. Those 'basturds' you are talking about are still somali because they have somali fathers. But the offspring of a somali woman and a jamaican are jamaican and should not and will not be accepted by the somali community.

There are always different rules for men and women because we are not the same and allah has made us different. Remember that.

Blessed   

^No chance of that, walaalo. If I'm ever silly enough to forget my place, I trust you'll remind me. Just make sure you spice up the reminder with the following key words: Allah, the Messenger and the Sharia but avoid Quranic and hadith quotations at all costs (it will confuse me), aight? ;)

Anyway, so your bottom line is lineage now and not culture as stated before?

Originally posted by Mr-Peace:

Religion is a significant part of culture, you can't separate the two.

Expand on this please...

Mr-Peace   

Blessed

Sarcasm is a sign of weakness and not a clever way to make an argument, drop it walaal. Allah has created us differently with different purposes as men and women.

"Allah, the Most High says in Holy Qur'an: "Men are in charge over women in that Allah has favored the one over the other and that they spend from their wealth..." (4:34) In this ayat, Allah, the Most High has established the authoritative position of men over women. It is the responsibility of men to protect and defend women."

How will one know their culture without knowing their lineage?

Some primitive native american and african cultures and jews do have matrilineal descent but most civilized cultures trace their ancestory through the father, and you're culture and ethnicity is that of your fathers. It's very simple.

As for religion and culture, religion is part of culture. All cultures share a system of believes together, custums, etc which makes them unique. Religion is that system of believe.

Blessed   

Why did you quote that Ayah? It doesn't support your racist position. It talks about all Muslim men and women regardless of race.

My initial point is that as a community, we ignore the many children that our men father and abandon who end up growing up without Islam and Somali culture. They are Somali only through lineage. And, yet people like you make a song and dance about sisters who are married to and are raising Muslims.

Secondly, wasn't it the role of mother to teach and educate the children? Obviously, the kids of a Somali woman will pick up on her culture, language.

As for religion and culture, religion is part of culture. All cultures share a system of believes together, custums, etc which makes them unique. Religion is that system of believe.

Indeed. So considering that Islam is a way of life, a convert brother shares more with you in terms of believe, customs and ideals. Whereas, the only link you have with a Somali that was raised in a different believe system is his lineage. It's what the pagan Quraish were to the Ansar at the Prophets (saw) time. There's even an ayah in the Quraan about it. Dig it up!

Ashkiro   

^ :)Tres Bien, but even that grand response I am afraid will not get through.

Going back to the original topic at hand, I personally find it obnoxious those, to use a street term "sell-outs". Not in the sense that one marries ajnabi because of mutual agreement/love ect ect (or calaf) waayo bani adam ba ladha wayahey and daadka wax ba is daxmaro. But those who deliberately avoid their "own", ka faano daadkoda if you know what I mean. lakiin caqligoda ba tuusey, daadka isku caqli ma ahaan, so as they say to each their own.

^LoooooooooooL..I know the ones youare talking about.It's hard for partner to respect you when you don't respect your roots but most Somalis marry Ajnabi out of isfahan.

Ibtisam   

Ashkiro and Che:

Who deliberately avoides their own, out of faano. I can understand avoiding somalis for the sake of quite, stress free life. But unless you have some serious complexity issues I don't think there are many Somalis who pretend NOT to be somalis. :confused: I might be wrong.

^Believe me, they exist. This chick I run into claimed to be Eritrea just as her husband was coming towards. He introduced himself and recognized that I was Somali and went to see "Oh you met my wife. She is from Somalia". She was embrassed as hell. I laughed and left.

Ibtisam   

^^^She was just scared you was going to judge her dee icon_razz.gif I say I'm Eritrean or Asian when I don't want to get drawn into conversations with strangers. It makes it easier to avoid them. THAT however does not mean I have a complexity about being Somali.

Mr-Peace   

Originally posted by Ibtisam:

^^^She was just scared you was going to judge her dee
icon_razz.gif
I say I'm Eritrean or Asian when I don't want to get drawn into conversations with strangers. It makes it easier to avoid them. THAT however does not mean I have a complexity about being Somali.

No, that's plain inferiority complex and most xalimo

's that marry ajnabi have the same mentality as you. Wouldn't it be easier to just walk away and say I'm busy if you don't want to talk someone instead of being deceptive and claiming other ethnicities.

Ibtisam   

^^^MAybe you need to teach your brothers the art of walking away. Some people think saying "NO" is a game. SO NO it is not easy to say I'm busy and walk away.

I don't have an inferiority complex dear, and I don't need an online username to tell me about what I THINK or FEEL. smile.gif

Ibti-Why would I judge her? My own relatives are bi-racial. Xalimos are ok though. Some Faraaxs are worse. Ironically enough, it's those that were born in Somalia that does this but kids that grew and born in the States like their Somaliness.

Nice name Ashkiro. I once was with Ashkiro smile.gif

Ibtisam   

^^^Maybe it is the same Ashkiro, although this one is much much younger than you.

Che; Somali people are generally judgemental, there is no reason for her to think you are different. icon_razz.gif