Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Are you proud to be Somali?

N.O.R.F   

Dabshid thanks for letting me know about the event. Very enjoyable it was.

I did hear a H A Samater song tonight,,,

Abuurti wacneyde illahay sameyeeeey, Somalida ahayde,,,,, :cool:

What a song!

Som@li   

Northern, I am glad you enjoyed saxb, I left early as I had to drive to AD for work. More shows are coming soon Insha Allah.

26th and 1st July - Somali Independence Day,

what is your comment on SYC, honesly, First group of young Somalis I have seen so organised,and pathriotic.

Blessed   

^I second North. Best riwaayad I've attended. The SYC crew were beautiful but they need to learn Somali.

Anyway, was C/Raxmaan 'Xaliimo' played by Hunguri by any chance? :D

Ibtisam

We are not worthless ethnic group but at the same time we are not contributing as a community but rather as individuals (too many individuals working alone) and we have never grasped the essence working together as one/ or at least an organized contribution that can be attributed to Somali people rather than one individual.

I disagree. Whilst, disunity exists, it didn’t take just one individual to build those much needed facilities. The building of just one university was due to the collaborative efforts of the expatriate community across the globe and the people working on the ground back home.

Legend of Zu

So if I go by your statement - it is not that we are proud of the Somaliness but the act of self-appreciating of the Somaliness!

No! Well yes, kind off. You make it sound silly when you put it like that. icon_razz.gif

I’ve read the question to be asking if we are still standing tall in the face of this adversity or if we’ve joined the many self-loathing folks that have jumped ship. In other words does your Somaliness embarrass you, maka khashaaftaa? Laakin, as they say, hadal sina loo yidhi, sikalena loo qaaday. Peacenow should come back and clarify the question for us.

NGONGE

Those achievements would be small pickings for a man sitting behind a laptop in his cosey, central heated house in Ingriis care. Afaa caleej! I haven’t said anything about being content about our situation, Ayeeyo. My point is for every blood-sucking warlord there a few men and women who are working in developing the country. You can choose and play with the words to attach to the positive feelings their actions stir but I choose to be proud of the dignified, resilient majority.

If you guys want to be one-track minded in your analyses of the happenings in our homeland, it’s your prerogative but spare us the generalised self contept.

quote:

Originally posted by -Lily-:

doesn't being Proud in essence mean focusing on the good things?

Proud has nothing to do with focusing on the good things. It's optimism that's about focusing on the good things. Being proud is about pride, egoism, looking down at others and their achievements, discrimination, racism, iwm. What makes particular Somalis to look down at Somalis they consider low caste or inferior? Pride that they are superior, of better stock, better physical features, nobler lineage or genealogy, iwm.

Bal ninkan yaa ku dhaarta? Anagoo Balad Xaawa joogna, yaa ku yidhi Burco nooga hees?

"Sareedo haday kuwaarto

Hadduu silac iyo dhib gaaro

Samaanteed iyo xumaanteed

Soomaaliya Soomaali baa leh"

Hadda kahor ayaan ereyadda hoos ku yaalo oona alifay Yamyam kusoo qoray inta, aan mar labaad ku celiyo maadaama dad qaarkood Soomaalinimo shaki kaga jiro, oo kalsoonidooda ku yartahay.

Soomaali waa kuma?

Sinnaantaan la magac ahay

Sankuneefle ma oggoli

Inuu iga sareyn karo

Anna garasho sogordahan

Sooryo ruux ugama dhigo

Soomaali baan ahay!

Inkastoon sabool ahay

Haddana waan sariigtaa

Sacabbada ma hoorsado

Saaxiib nimaan nahay

Cadowgeyga lama simo

Soomaali baan ahay!

Nabaddaan u sahanshaa

Colaaddaan ka salalaa

Sooma jeesto goobaha

Ninka nabarka soo sida

Gacantiisa kama sugo

Soomaali baan ahay!

Nin I sigay ma nabad galo

Nin isugeyna maba jiro

Libta weli ma sii deyn

Gardarrada ma saacido

Nin xaq lehna cid lama simo

Soomaali baan ahay!

Ninkaan teydu soli karin

Uma yeelo suu rabo

Sida dunida qaarkeed

Sandulleynta ma oggoli

Ninna kabaha uma sido

Soomaali baan ahay!

Ninka iga sed roonoow

Siintaada magaca leh

Ogow kaama sugayee

Hana oran sasabo badow

Dareen seexda ma lihiyoo

Soomaali baan ahay!

Ninna madax salaaxiyo

Kama yeelo seetada

Sasabo ma qaayibo

Sirta waxaan iraahdaa

Saab aan biyaha celin

Soomaali baan ahay!

Dabayshaan la socod ahay

Salfudeydna uma kaco

Waabay sunaan tahay

Marna samawadaan ahay

Samir baan hagoogtaa

Soomaali baan ahay!

Saan la kala jaraan ahay

Summadi ay ku wada taal

Rag baa beri I saanyaday

Anoo xoolo soofsada

Xil midnimo anaa sida!

Soomaali baan ahay!

N.O.R.F   

MMA do you have the lyrics for the song i mentioned earlier?

ps i hope to post video footage (snippets) of last nights ruwaayed later IA

Hunguri   

looool@ Kimia!!!

Kimia, no I did not play the "Father roll" that was pthe most funniest part. I was the little "Harbi" the son, that stole the "Mobile" and ended up in the jail. LooooL. The Father part, did crack me up :D . What about Northner :D he was the one playing the super Hunter. Did you see the way he handled the girl. Singing "Alla Dheeridaayeey" loool I laughed so hard, when he said " my coat is so clean, dont put on slipers and never wake up from Ajman side" loool. Wallahi, he let Ajman down :D . Actually, Dabshid was the one playing the musical back ground ;) . Thanks to the efforts looool. Kimiya, I heard you were the owner of the Northern Shipping Company smile.gif .

PS:-

Back to the party. It was alright. Thought, I was so nervouse the way they organized. Every thing Arabic and Arabic and Arabic. They should be thought Somali :D . Soon, I will produce a Somali Stage Drama in title of "Buufis & Baafin". Lool. You will enjoy ;) ! good luck!!

Ariadne   

I am very proud, now to the point when someone says "Somalian" my back goes up. However,when I was youngerI was not as proud. I would tell people I was born on a cruise that was on the pacific ocean, but my ancestry is Somali. It was a defense mechanism against nationalism in general.

N.O.R.F   

The play was based on a Somali family living in the UAE. The old man loses his job which means he will be going home. His wife and three sons refuse to go back to Somalia so he leaves them behind.

One son can only speak af carabi and only watches/listens to arabic (who does that remind me of tolow? :D )

One is a typical Somali.

One is a party animal and only speaks english.

The old man returns with all three in police custody.

Heres a

With characters like Cambarro Canjeelo and Jama Forjery (forgery) you know your in for a good laugh!

Rocko, thanks. What a hees ey?

Dabshid, the young ones look very well organised i must. They need to do away with the af carabi during introductions though.

king_450   

Negativity is among us, Rapers/Killers are among us, Bad apples are among us. But with all these negative situation am still proud to say i am very happy to be a true Somali! You heard that right a True Somali! not only Somali? and a proud one.

somaliamappk1.th.gif

NGONGE   

NGONGE

Those achievements would be small pickings for a man sitting behind a laptop in his cosey, central heated house in Ingriis care. Afaa caleej! I haven’t said anything about being content about our situation, Ayeeyo. My point is for every blood-sucking warlord there a few men and women who are working in developing the country. You can choose and play with the words to attach to the positive feelings their actions stir but I choose to be proud of the dignified, resilient majority.

If you guys want to be one-track minded in your analyses of the happenings in our homeland, it’s your prerogative but spare us the generalised self contept.

There is no self-contempt there, ayaayo. The achievements are small pickings for ANY man, regardless of where he’s sitting. If it’s the people you mentioned then really only a fool would not be amazed by their perseverance and defiance against all the crippling odds. Long may they continue in progressing and improving! However, the question was about being proud to be Somali and I see no explicit reason for such pride. If the sum total of the achievements of a whole nation are those meagre pickings you’ve mentioned then it’s not only wrong, it’s also indolent to be proud of being Somali (today).

You are right though; there are many Somalis that have contempt for their origins and people. Yet, on the other hand, there are many more that live in the clouds and are proud for no particular reason or achievement of their own.

I would have been prouder had I come across Somali literature that sings the praises of our people and talks about our indefatigability and tenacity. I would have been proud had I heard poems, songs and stories that catalogue the struggle of our people and demonstrate their wish to see an end to these chaotic times.

My lack of pride is not related to hospitals being built, orphans being helped or any other physical signs. For these can be blown up, trampled on and destroyed like they were the first time. My pride will come once I see a change in attitude, thinking and cultural stances.

The dignified resilient majority (as you call them) are doing what they always do in times of peace, or war. They’re just living life and trying to make it as comfortable as they possibly can. They’re worrying about tomorrow’s dinner, their children’s’ education and their sources of income! The idea of being a Somali and being proud of that fact is nothing but a passing thought (to them).

Those outside that have the time and luxury to be proud are not all doing what they need to do to justify such pride. Granted, many donate money, organise aid and help in any physical way they can. They and those back home all deserve the highest praise and gratitude for their efforts. But it still does not begin to touch upon the coattails of pride.

In any case, and as usual, I don’t think you and I are that far apart in our feelings and understanding of the issue. I certainly don’t see myself in the self-loathing camp and surely don’t see you in the blindly proud camp (though both camps are real). Where we differ is the in the course we take to approach the subject. You believe it wrong (and unfair) to approach it from the angle of critique and fault finding (or at least, that’s how it appears to you). I on the other hand, do not approve of the idea of pride right now. I would happily acknowledge achievements and praise the perseverance but I’ll stop short of being proud. For to be proud now is to give licence for people to sit on their laurels and attribute all other shortcomings to everyone else but ourselves! I’ve already pointed out that, as a nation, the achievements we made are small pickings, basic and plain. Again, I’m not belittling them, I’m just telling it as it is.

I don’t at all wish to depress you here, but a quick look at Somalia today will easily reveal to you how bad the health services our, how non-existent education is and how rudimentary the reach of the law (or even the respect for it). In fact, one can write an endless piece simply cataloguing all the failings of our nation. But that won’t help anyone here. Suffice it to say that we all know and realise what we’re being faced with here and what, in an ideal world, we should be doing. Only when we’ve ditched the delusion of pride and stopped selling each other the twaddle about Somaliland being Africa’s best kept secret, Mogadishu having three phone companies or the amazing ability to buy a cold refreshing Hagan Daz from a number of Bosaso shops, could we begin to change the collective Somali psyche and confront everyone with the severity of the situation.

There is a lot of work yet to be done, and pride (in the form displayed here and by most Somalis in the Diaspora) works only as a hindrance rather than help. The painful fact still remains that Somalia is a wretched country in need of a new direction and a fresh attitude. You want to be proud and want that pride to be taken seriously? Then turn into a demagogue, ayaayo! List all the faults of Somalia, admit their existence and point out the folly for their presence. Then, turn the whole issue on its head and eulogise the idea of Somalnimo and sing the praises of the grandchildren of our ancient (and current) Somali heroes and how despite all that was thrown at them, they emerged fighting, trying and maintaining their heads above all the floods of injustice. Say it’s in our genes. Wonder how with such ancestors we could ever go wrong. Bang the drum, flame the feelings and point out what a unique race and land we come from. And when the people gather round you and believe in this special uniqueness then you might, just might, have reason to be proud. To say that you are proud because five people in Sweden sent a dozen second-hand wheelchairs home is to accept a pittance and that for me, the descendant of so and so and so, is really not good enough. :mad:

Blessed   

^Lol! What's with the abtirsi, ayeeyo? I'm not proud Somali anymore. *waves the Union Jack*

Please return to last paragragh of my initial post, I didn't deny that there are problems and that we have work to do. My contention is with people who look down on Somalis in general because they are discontent with our current situation.

I remember being advised to say that I'm Zanzibari / Sudaani when I get to Dubai because there are some Somali prostitutes in Dubai. This is an extension of the we have nothing to be proud of attitude.

p.s I didn't know 5 Swedes sent wheel chairs... great stuff :Dicon_razz.gif

NGONGE   

^^ :D

It wasn't meant as ab tirsi, even though it came out that way. More history than ab tirsi. But you get my drift I’m sure.

Heh@Soudani! I hope you told them where to go. Soudani indeed. Pffffttt.