Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Are you proud to be Somali?

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

Girls, hold your heard up, we are in temporary state, and you should not be ashamed of your identity, and your country.

Ibti, I am doing something for my country, and I love my country so much, I know it is in bad shape, BUT nobody will FIX, except Somalis.

Tonight, I am taking part in organising somali function for the somalis in UAE,and this will help, for example the kids who grow up here be proud, and learn more about their beautiful country, and culture,

please visit
for more details

, tickets 30 AED.

I think you will need to speak arabic to the UAE kids tonight!

In Dubai or AD?

Som@li   

Dubai, You coming?,

--------------------------------

Location: DUBAI FOLKLORE THEATRE,( near Centurey Mall),AL MAMZAR,DUBAI,

The Programm will include

*Social comedy play

*Various Somali Songs

*Interesting presentations and documentaries

*Awards for Somail talents Competitions

For more info: contact 050 7673913 or 050 -5316447

or email @ comments@syc.ae

www.syc.ae

Ticket price 30 AED, for fund rasing for the youth.

-------------------------------------------

Ms DD   

I think one can be proud when they have acheived something. Is it like saying "I am proud to be women". Why? What have you done to acheive this womeness? Being Somalia is something you are.

Chimera   

There is a difference between making a critical analysis (or self reflection) of our current situation with being plain pessimistic. The chinese have gone through similar and even worser situations in their recent past, they however stayed strong and are today benefiting from it.

Going through texts books and libraries is exactly what alot of them did, handing out Chinese orientated history and martial arts books to younger generations is exactly what both KMT and CPC governments did and it revived the sick man of the East

Works of Somali scholars are lying in cold arab libraries in Cairo and Damascus and you have those who have the rescources to collect them waisting there times on covering these iritating warlords pushing Somali children away from their great faith instead of inspiring them with their own great scholars, English kids are taught about their ancestors and you have grown ups teaching Somali children Barre's history and how much this group or that group had to do with it instead of teaching them about their female and male ancestors before them. Reading about these great men and women has personally made me a more stable and focused person if this generation were made more aware about their past and not this up to speed ''barre/Aideed/C/Y'' crap there whole mentality would have been different forums like Somali-net clan bashing sites has turned so many of them into qabiilists it's not even funny anymore

Therefore one should focus on the coming 5/14 age category currently growing up in the west and back home and revive this sick man of East Africa through culture and history and make them more aware of their surroundings and origins

Now back to our current situation and the one we were in the last decade with a six months break of stability in 2006. To deny the resilience of your people who didn't have the easy way out like us but continued to struggle and eventually make progress is a great injustice to them, i do not blame our people it's these foreigners that keep meddling with our business in such a sinister and illigal way by forcing things upon us or prolonging our suffering by arming multiple groups in their covert operations, we have allready shown we are able to handle our business by getting rid of the warlords, we have shown we are able to make economic progress when we quadrupled our trade export in the last decade, we have shown we can survive without foreign aid when the international community turned their back on us, we have shown we can be a leader in acquiring new technology when our telecommunications network began dominating the continent and rivalling the nr 1 Egypt aswell as having the largest number of new internet registers of the continent, we have shown we can make profit in what ever country we reside to the point they even start attacking us, we have shown we can rebuild our education sector without a government when we doubled the number of primary schools from 600 to 1172 and opening multiple universites through out the country

Our people have shown that they are strong survivors and i'm not going to honor them with a artificial inferiority complex just because i'm to lazy to go through the facts of what we as a group went through and have achieved, neither will i try to project vibes covered in easily refutable arguments to get a fellow compatriot to feel bad about him/herself

be realistic but don't be sinisterly pessimistic with the sole objective to hurt people's feelings, we are allready being attacked by multiple groups both culturally and historically because of our neglect and lack of motivation and optimism

I can't allow this to continue.

Blessed   

^Afkaaga caano geel lagu qabay.

People need to put their Criticism into context, politics and politicians do not represent all things Somali. Any one, who bothers to look, will see that Somalis have made tremendous progress during these dark years. We see the building of schools, universities, hospitals and many commercial enterprises using the hard earned cash of individuals.

Considering that this takes place in the direst of circumstances without a central government, is it not something to be proud of? There are oil rich nations whose people live in circumstances far worse than our people. We have people that are faced with hardship after hardship, trial after trial yet they still have the strength and iman to say ‘eebaa mahadle’ and to carry on finding survival mechanisms, doesn’t that make you proud?

And then we have our art, our stories and our supportive nature for family members. Sure, some people misuse these noble traditions and warlords are given undue financial backing and hype. However, the great majority of our people are innocent bystanders who try to do their best at a very difficult time. The greatest nations on earth today have gone through years of bloodshed and misery. It’s not exclusive to Somalis.

I totally understand Dabshids frustration. We have too many self loathing Somali hating individuals which often makes me wonder if they are cadaans trapped in Somali bodies. I’ve actually seen people claim to be half Somali and those that actually brag about being ignorant of the language and culture. Read any thread in any section of SOL (the most intelligent web portal) and you’re faced with constant attacks of our intelligence, ways, lack of love, fatness of our women are backwardness and so on… insults coming from Somalis.

I'm not saying that we ignore our (many) social ills. What I find disheartening is our willingness to accept the notion we are worthless ethnic group. This only lowers our expectations of fellow Somalis and our effort.

I dread to think what the second generation of Somalis in Diaspora will be like…

P.s Cambarro and LOZ, whilst being Somali isn’t an achievement, being self-accepting is…

Ibtisam   

Kimiya and David while I agree with you both, I think some people take it to extremes. On both sides. I think we are missing that middle ground of "yes" we have problems, and we will always have some problems, but we can only address problems with we acknowledge that there are problems and look for solutions. We cannot simply say “Somali people are great, wonderful and I am proud, end of story”. And there are a lot of people who do this, while others go around self loathing and pretending to be from other countries.

We are not worthless ethnic group but at the same time we are not contributing as a community but rather as individuals (too many individuals working alone) and we have never grasped the essence working together as one/ or at least an organized contribution that can be attributed to Somali people rather than one individual.

Originally posted by Kimiya:

^Afkaaga caano geel lagu qabay.

P.s Cambarro and LOZ, whilst being Somali isn’t an achievement, being self-accepting is…

So if I go by your statement - it is not that we are proud of the Somaliness but the act of self appreciating of the Somaliness!

Again his question was one of the beingness of Somali, wasn't it?

To me, You can be proud of the choosable identities not the existance itself i.e. you can't say I am proud to be Human!

BTW your comments about the somali community were spot on, Somalis did achieve alot and can achieve even more!

Cheers

NGONGE   

People need to put their Criticism into context, politics and politicians do not represent all things Somali. Any one, who bothers to look, will see that Somalis have made tremendous progress during these dark years. We see the building of schools, universities, hospitals and many commercial enterprises using the hard earned cash of individuals.

Considering that this takes place in the direst of circumstances without a central government, is it not something to be proud of? There are oil rich nations whose people live in circumstances far worse than our people. We have people that are faced with hardship after hardship, trial after trial yet they still have the strength and iman to say ‘eebaa mahadle’ and to carry on finding survival mechanisms, doesn’t that make you proud?

It's the usage of the word, ayeeyo. Your quote above does not make me proud. Peasants are proud of small pickings, and you've got to admit that all you've described are nothing but small pickings (not that I'm calling you a peasant of course! So waxba ha ii ab tirsan) :D . I'm grateful, happy and encouraged by the "achievements" you list, but neither proud nor content. Pride is a luxury we can't afford or qualify for TODAY.

By the way, don't be too harsh on those that tell you they're not proud to be Somali. To them (and me) being a Somali today represents war, hatred, mistrust, poverty, discord and disagreement. All the good things you mention pale in comparison! You find a way to disassociate the idea of being Somali from all these horrid things and, at a click of a finger; you'll have countless numbers of new and PROUD Somalis. Pride in today's Somali environment remains a delusion, ayaayo.

-Lily-   

You find a way to disassociate the idea of being Somali from all these horrid things and, at a click of a finger

Erm, doesn't being Proud in essence mean focusing on the good things? I have yet to see anyone from any nation being 'proud' of anything negative.

The answer is a big fat NO!

There is nothing to be proud of. We are the low of the lowest. Period. Don't even think of challenging that statement.

Taliban   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

doesn't being Proud in essence mean focusing on the good things?

Proud has nothing to do with focusing on the good things. It's optimism that's about focusing on the good things. Being proud is about pride, egoism, looking down at others and their achievements, discrimination, racism, iwm. What makes particular Somalis to look down at Somalis they consider low caste or inferior? Pride that they are superior, of better stock, better physical features, nobler lineage or genealogy, iwm.