Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Are you proud to be Somali?

Peacenow   

Are you proud to be Somali? When someone asks, you where you come from, do you tell them something else.

Are you more or less proud now, than say, this time last year?

UK_ROSE   

I must say when i was much younger i used to think twice about saying that am somali, I would always say am somali but was born in.....

Now am very proud of my country, I've over come my insecurities, I don't care about the political situation, am just proud of who i am. Nowhere in the world is perfect.

I now understand and fully believe that Allah does not look at the colour of our skin he looks at our deeds.

i must say, i resist a smile when people say " oh, you don't look Somali, are you mixed?? I proudly answer, NO! am pure somali"

Chimera   

yeah i'm very proud

but my generation's pride in their country has been undermined serverly by these traitors TFG and other warlords before them

but if i could choose between having a stable country and being able to be proud of it today with a chaotic future where my children live through the diasporic pain of seeing all this injustice done by traitors in their homeland like me and many out there are living through

then i choose this reality ''rather me than my child'' and Insha-allah i hope my children in the future can visit Ayeeyo and Awoowe every summer

i'm gonna bombard the next generation Somali kids with well collected info/books about Somali Empires,Literature,important female and male rolemodels and cultural traditions insha-allah insha-allah insha-allah

this is really the only thing somali-wise that keeps me going

Ibtisam   

Why shouldn't I be?

WHat is there to be proud of?? Answer me that and I will show countless reasons why we should hide our face in shame of what we are, what we've become and this never ending cycle.

UK Rose:

Now am very proud of my country, I've over come my insecurities, I don't care about the political situation, am just proud of who I am. Nowhere in the world is perfect

What makes you who you are as a Somali? and what is there to be proud of as a country (where is the progress, the achievement, the justice, the peace?)

Nowhere is perfect, but no one is asking for perfect, staying alive and a bit of food is not too much to ask for, but in Somali even that of next to impossible.

Somalis are certainely courageous and resilient but they would have overcame foreign ill-will have they been loyal to their faith instead of "nationalism" and return to clannism when they failed to repair the colonial injustices...

Emperor   

Ibtisam, It just happens that one is to be born for a country or born in any country, is a situation that you have no control over, but had you had the chance to choose, would you?

Emperor, without being too abstract, i think that being born in East Africa leads any intelligent soul to many fundamentals analysis about how uncoherent and self-destructive Humanity could be and how one could help mitigate such hypocrisy and cruelty.

Consequently, this do help in strenghtening your Eemaan, not least when we have now clear evidence that our creator laws, ie Shariah, are the only coherent system of justice, in the general sense of the term, wether at home or abroad where moral degerescence is by no means any milder...

Ibtisam   

Emperor

Being proud is different to loyalty, being proud to is a symbol of contentment or happiness at what you see, I’m not happy nor I’m content with Somalia as a country/ countries nor I'm content with the state of the Somali people at all (anywhere in the world).

In saying that, don’t get it twisted it does not mean I would like to disassociate myself or sit around wishing I was not Somali, far from it, even if I was not Somali I would still not be happy for Somali’s. Rather is a recognition of our failures, and not busing my self with empty statements "such as I am proud to be Somali" when I can clearly see that there is nothing I can point to back up that statement. Instead we should be so ashamed that we strive to make a change to something that we CAN be proud of, that the generations after can be proud of, not the same sick cycle.

Changes do not happen when people are happy with the current state or apathy, change grows out of dissatisfaction/ angry/ frustration etc

I do agree that someone cannot choose where they are born or they are born to (stating the obvious here) and no I would not wish to belong to any other. But that does not mean to say that you cannot shape/ change the situation you were born into.

Taliban   

What does it means to be proud of being a national/citizen of a country? As Muslims, is this question even valid? Have we forgotten the position of Islam on pride? To me, being a national/citizen of a country means little or nothing, and certainly not something to be proud of positively or negatively. Even being a Muslim isn't something to be proud of positively or negatively; it's something you have to be thankful for, hope and pray that you please Allah. I avoid all sorts of pride, because pride is something destructive and negative.