Dhaqaale

We need truth and reconciliation conference

Dhaqaale   

Apologies if this thread has been made before, but i could not find a it on the forum. Somalia needs a honest truth and reconciliation conference where all crimes and human rights violations are lad bare on the table. Somalia can not turn the page and start refresh until we have a honest dialog about the crimes of the civil war. I know that almost thirty years has passed and this could have been done in 1993 when the Americans and U.N were feeding the starving Somali populations in southern Somalia.

I would like to know is there any serious plan for this conference and would the international community help facilitate it? Could I also ask why our political leaders have not pushed for something like this before. We are a nation in pain and suffering, the trauma of living in a failed state is blocking our nation's advancement. We need to heal as a people before there can be an honest talk about politics, economics and the role religion plays in Somali society. 

Dhaqaale   

Here is a conference of Somalia, the panel consists of Hussesin Adam and prof Samatar. I surprised the momentum did not continue and more work was not done on the ground in Somalia. They seem to understand the core issues but no real power to implement the agenda. 

I think the pain of our humiliation and sense of dishonour that the civil war brought is too much, and paralysis blocked any real transformation. 

Somali conference in 1992

Tallaabo   

Without any shadow of doubt, truth and justice will be established on the Day of Judgement and every criminal and saint will receive the recompense of their evil and good deeds. So those who believe in the Last Day should not worry about their tormentors getting away with murder and oppression for non can get away from the Creator. 

Now what we need is not yet another talk show conference for we have had plenty of them; we need social transformation where the fear of Allah is instilled in people's hearts. We need to follow the Qur'an and give no space and opportunity to evil people. 

Do you think a corrupt tyrant can stand before a group of his fellow clansmen who fear Allah and hope to receive their political or financial support? Today the reason we have the worst politicians on the planet is because of the easy support any evil man can get from his clan. 

4 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

Today the reason we have the worst politicians on the planet is because of the easy support any evil man can get from his clan. 

True.  

However,  I think opposite is the answer.  Strong, patriotic honest dictator is what Somalia needs,  like Paul Kagame.  Someone with a vision yet doesn't have to cajole ignorant tribal leader or tribal mp. Simple as. 

Dhaqaale   
18 hours ago, Dhagax-Tuur said:

True.  

However,  I think opposite is the answer.  Strong, patriotic honest dictator is what Somalia needs,  like Paul Kagame.  Someone with a vision yet doesn't have to cajole ignorant tribal leader or tribal mp. Simple as. 

Yes. I agree, but i would rather have democratic elections that can bring a good leader forward. I don't like the religious Somali answer to our worldly problems. This keeps us distracted from tackling the issues at hand. Every nation has manage to do it. No reason why Somalia cannot have an honest and productive conversation about why our society is so f*cked up.

I am afraid to pour a cold water on your idea and wish, but that is what it needs.

Reconciliation always needs a strong common state or reconciliator.

If you do not have a central/federal government that governs/rules for all Somalis, no hope for having fruitful reconciliation.

Never happened in the world either. You need a state, constitution/framework for reconciliation.

Tallaabo   
On 7/27/2019 at 2:26 PM, Dhaqaale said:

I don't like the religious Somali answer to our worldly problems. This keeps us distracted from tackling the issues at hand.

The Somali people are not faithless Marxists so religion will have a central role in their affairs whether you like it or not. 

Tallaabo   
On 7/26/2019 at 7:52 PM, Dhagax-Tuur said:

Strong, patriotic honest dictator is what Somalia needs,  like Paul Kagame.  Someone with a vision yet doesn't have to cajole ignorant tribal leader or tribal mp. Simple as. 

So will your benign dictator live for ever? Or have you got guarantees that when he dies his successors will not be tyrants who would take society back to square one? 

Dhaqaale   
22 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

The Somali people are not faithless Marxists so religion will have a central role in their affairs whether you like it or not. 

I was thinking along the lines of a secular constitutional republic.

Dhaqaale   
On 7/28/2019 at 4:50 PM, Old_Observer said:

I am afraid to pour a cold water on your idea and wish, but that is what it needs.

If you do not have a central/federal government that governs/rules for all Somalis, no hope for having fruitful reconciliation.

Never happened in the world either. You need a state, constitution/framework for reconciliation.

Are you saying that Somalia currently is a lawless backward country that cannot put on a serious reconciliation conference? Is our culture that weak and devoid of integrity that our people cannot talk frank about the crimes of Somalia.

Duufaan   
On 7/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, Old_Observer said:

I have to agree with Old-observer. People with the history of civilization understand the concept of state. They fear the state, respect and protect it.  Do not look too far, just learn from the Turk and Persians. Somalis do not understand the concept of state. Maybe it is something to do with barbaric culture. In old  days the Romans were fearful the barbarian to destroy their civilization and eventually they did. If you tell the Somalis not park their cars certain places, they will not follow the rules unless they face the consequences. After they punished, they willingly spread the word not to park their cars same place. A society that tests all the common sense rules, you need a state that makes them follow the rules, even if rules are unfair. Basically that is the reason  I support a strong central government that controls the whole nation and than you can talk about reforms and local governments. As long as the tribes are more powerful than the state, there will be no solution.

Duufaan   
14 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

Who would this be for? The country is too fragmented , and no common stake holders.

Basically, you have collect enough tax and  you have to continue build a national army that takes orders from state, a multi-tribe forces, stationed all part of the country and sameti me undermine all the anarchist groups. This is something that Farmaajo group started and we need to continue that path.