Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Sina a.k.a Avicenna

Must-have skills for 21st century Girl.

Faarax, you are alone and unarmed in this thread! But you are fearless adeer---yours dangerously borders recklessness :D ! How dare you suggested that wives live off their husband’s income, or worse yet where did you get that teens don’t work, and hence are without income :D . Ayaamahan busy baan ahaa laakiin threadkan hadba waan fiirin jirey bal inaad weli bad qabto! War ka baxso meesha.

Escape at your earliest opportunity, I say :D !

^^Intaa dabadeed yaa yiri dumar & lacag baa heshiis ah? Alla bahashaas iyo duulku isku xumaa!

Nehanda   

FB you seem to be very knowledgeable of Somali girls financial circumstances based on what?! A few misfortunate girls?

Please ninyo stop the fadexad! Living at home does not imply milking your parents. A young person can work and contribute towards the family expenditure and even financially support younger siblings.

I suggest that you stop deluding yourself or fishing for argument. We all know that there are professional young Somali women earning a healthy income and times much more than their spouse.

Cara.   

Gosh, I know many men are irrational and susceptible to flights of fancy, but this is getting scary. How hard is it to figure out that this is a list of things a girl SHOULD know? It's a prescriptive, not descriptive, list. It doesn't matter if current women have the money sense of a milk carton, or if in Africa men labor while women mooch off them ( yeah right ), or if teenage girls are irresponsible with what they manage to get their grubby little paws on (as if boys aren't as bad). Unless the status quo is peachy keen (and clearly it isn't, judging by how much derision you men heap on the women who stay home), women should learn to take control of their finances.

..and what does the teenage somali boy do by this age?

The life of a 17 yr old boy (My lil Cuz) consists of a part-time job, works 3x a week(sometimes 4x a week), once during the week and weekend shifts at a car dealear, being a "detail boy"/carwash.

He earns a decent money but he spends more than he earns.

He has cellphone bill to pay for, he buys $125-$200 sneakers, which also needs to be kept in tip-top shape, and he does a good job at buying cleaning product for his shoes. He also has tons and tons of hats, his hats cost about $25-$30 and he has to buy the latest.

He also has to keep up with the latest PS2 games, close to $30 per game. He also has to buy a pair of new jeans every month.

He goes through T-shirts like water bottles. He has to have jerseys, a big time collector, but I help him out with that most of the time, because those babies will definitely cost him big time.

Lets not forget his lil girlfriend, but she does pitch in on their eat-outs, because she also works part-time.

In any case, as long as he is keeping up with his school work and takes care of Miscellaneous stuff, I don't see a problem. He is a kid, works hard for his money and I think he should spend it however way he sees fit.

The thing everyone needs to know is that it doesn't matter how old a person is, a 50 yr old can be irresponsible with money just as much as the teenage boy or girl of today.

People have to realize that whether you make $15,000 Vs $55,000, it makes no difference if you don't have "imaan". You could as easily spend the $55,000 without even realizing that you make that much. Masha allah if its $15,000 you make, but you can actually put $50-$70 away on a rainy day per pay, then it really doesn't make a difference how much you earn, because the $55,000 person probably has debts, so each check he/she gets goes into paying the debt, it could be a brand new car he/she is leasing, insurance, mortgage, expensive habits, such as spending $1,000 a month just eating out.

This topic made me remember an episode Oprah dedicated to victims of debt in america(something close to that).

She took a family who combined income was $110,000 a year (Husband & Wife), and found out that they actually had a debt over $100,00 but werent paying for it, instead were spending alot of their $$$ unncessary stuff, such as $1,000+a month on take out, leasing additional vehicle, just because the wife's friends drove better car and she has to have the best SUV, BMW.

First thing the financial adviser that Oprah got for them did was say, why are you spending $1,000 on take out, why can't food be cooked at home?

Because the wife didn't cook, and the husband didn't feel upto cooking and was complaining about the amount of money being spend dinning out, he didn't once take it upon himself to do some cooking.

In any case, they were in the show because their constant arguments about money was affectign their marriage.

He started off saying that the house they bought was too big for their family, but because the wife felt she needed to keep up with their friend's lifestyle, everyone having 2-3cars, a huge home etc, that they had to get the big house they were living in and in return mortgage was alittle more, they could have bought lil less bigger home and saved on mortgage, and thast a good point that he brought up, but because he wanted to obligate his wife, he went with her plan.

They got all new furniture, big stereo system, big tvs, but all on credit cards, and thats were most of their debt came from. Most of the stuff they owned was bought with credit card, credit card they make minimum payment on and at times dont even make any payment, and ofcourse interest rate is just ridiculous.

The wife had expensive habit, where she would spend $200 a week or two weeks on hair appointment, because she had to have it.(black woman)

On to the children, shopping etc was few hundred dollars a month, just unnessary spending. Mom would obligate on the children to buy pretty much whatever they wanted.

These individuals who made over $100,000 were living from pay-cheque to pay-cheque.

On one hand, a family of their size in third world countries who make about the same amount spend their money wisely. Where as in america, its all about big things, expensive taste, and they are all high on debt and its ridiculous.

The moral of the story is, once a spender, always a spender. Some are more responsible than others, and some just never grow up but one thing is for sure, managing money has nothing to do with age.

Originally posted by Cara:

Gosh, I know many men are irrational and susceptible to flights of fancy, but this is getting scary. How hard is it to figure out that this is a list of things a girl SHOULD know? It's a prescriptive, not descriptive, list. It doesn't matter if current women have the money sense of a milk carton, or if in Africa men labor while women mooch off them (
), or if teenage girls are irresponsible with what they manage to get their grubby little paws on (as if boys aren't as bad). Unless the status quo is peachy keen (and clearly it isn't, judging by how much derision you men heap on the women who stay home), women should learn to take control of their finances.

Cara, The issue is not whether a Woman can manage her monies or not. In my opinion mature women manage money better than most men I know. This is about claims that little high school attending girls having jobs earning money(living indepedently etc). I am claiming that such skill is probably not necessary for this demographic, because these teenage girls don’t even have that much money anyway. I based this partly on assumptions & partly on observations from my line of work, relatives & personal experience.

Like I have said, the bit about housewives piping their husbands was a goofy comment that even I don’t agree with. Of course there women who burst their tails off, my very own mom is an example of such hard working Somali Women(the nerve of me yaah? Lol).But frankly( & factually) speaking,theres not a whole lot of Financial responsibility given to the Somali Woman. It is unfortunate truth that we need to address.

Nehanda: Please refer to my comment above. I think you girls are a bit hasty on the finger pointing and defensive attitude. I should perhaps follow the wise words of the Wiseman Xiinfanin & gracefully concede this battle. Waxan maqli jiray don’t argue with a woman…War ileen unukaa yaab aragnay :D

Cara.   

But frankly( & factually) speaking,theres not a whole lot of Financial responsibility given to the Somali Woman. It is unfortunate truth that we need to address.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's any way to give Somali women more financial responsibility? Could it be through, say, learning as young women?

Talk about lugooyo!

Nephissa   

Farax B, cagta saar wadadda..

running_man.jpg

A must have skill for 21st century Girls of all ages:

- Cutting a man's leg, or when necessary both. (Lugooyadiisa uun ka shaqee, wuxuuu kaa daba leeyahay, hididi hidiiidi) :D .

^ :D Heedhe,ninku boorso weynaa oo orod badnaa?

Teeda kale,This Leg cutting business is not a very good advice coming from a newly wed hot bride as you. Dee waa kusidee? Misna waxaad lehday Farax B single haa noqdo weligii? Talk of Luguuyo!! :D

Hmmm, I wonder if there's any way to give Somali women more financial responsibility? Could it be through, say, learning as young women?

Talk about lugooyo!

Cara,You are an Examination![Loosely translated as Intixaan baad tahay! ]

Dawo,Batlle of the sex meesha majirinee ee gabdhahan wada fiigsan(Lilly,Xanthus,Cara iyo Buuxdo)ayaa midfac ii qaatay. smile.gif

Cara.   

LOL @ Faarax, I think you meant "You're a test" icon_razz.gif

Can't get anything right, the poor dear...

Buuxo   

^ma ila aragtay, walee wuxu yaha calamad cirka lagsoo hindhisay.

And Faraax, stop calling me buuxdo, my name is buuxo :mad:

Cara.   

^They are subtly different, but then what would you know about subtlety?? You're still in the "pull girl's hair to get her attention" stage icon_razz.gif But Buuxo is gonna get a buzz cut and beat you up if you keep doing it.