Sign in to follow this  
Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg

Informing the right authorities

Would you inform the right authorities about somali's and other muslim criminals? Where does this childish backlash against informing the right authorities come from in the somali community? If we are to properly integrate into our host countries and take advantage of the benefits offered, then we must be willing to do our part to help fight terrorism, and criminals and let the system work.

What do we gain from harboring and protecting criminals because they share a culture or religion with us? Why do somali's send their criminal relatives to somalia instead of letting the criminal justice(as imperfect as it maybe) systems of their respected countries deal with them?

I remember reading about a case where a somali woman was being raped in Minneapolis I believe and not a single person called the authorities, where does this paranoid mentality come from?

Thoughts?

AYOUB   

Emperor

Charity begins at home. Why don't you start by informing the authorities about the Ethio stooges who go back home to rob the poor while on state benefits over here.

winnie   

it is a difficult dilemma. mostly because we, the somali diaspora, have adopted an attitude of a micro family when concerning each other.

ayoub, yr comment actually doesnt make sense.

charity starts at home... as in clean up your own house before looking into someone else's lot, right? I think that is exactly what Emperor is suggesting. Why let these criminals walk amongst us like our brothers/sisters when their crimes should be enough to distance them from us.

Protocol, it is funny you should see it as our duty to our host country to identify these criminals, when in fact i think that is the very reason why somalis/muslims shy away from informing the authorities. they (we) see it as treacherous to our deeper bonds.

on the other hand, i firmly believe that we, as believers, have a duty to inform people of authority about dangerous activities that could be a threat to the community at large (rape, child abuse, terrorism etc). it is simply the moral thing to do. yes, we are supposed to hide the faults of our brothers and sisters, but not when those faults can harm others.

thats my two cents on the matter.

Chimera   

Protocol if you saw certain characters in the community planning and plotting to kill many innocent folk then you should report them immediately

with regards to the last part of your post stop looking at our community through such a myopic lens take for example; a few months ago a kid was beheaded on a bus and everybody just watched it happen, even an off-duty soldier was present on the scene but did nothing, is there something wrong with Canadian society or were those bystanders simply shocked by this unprovoked slaughter of a young kid?

ps dude don't mess with the:

reptar.gif

or you will end up like that kid with the camera in Cloverfield :D (awesome movie)

Ibtisam   

^^^LOOOL @ like the kid with the camera.

I think some people take this whole telling the authority a bit far.

Someone felt the need to inform the police that the imam at the local mosque was a terrorist because he was collecting money for somalis affected by the war. They also felt the need tot he tell police that he[the imam] had another wife in Somalia (which is not true oddly enough)

This resulted in the imam's family house being raided by armed officers, his family traumatized and him sitting in a jail cell for the last three months now, while they find information from Somalia :confused:

By extension the lessons at the mosques have also closed and others are too scared to teach the community for fear of also being shifted.

Now protocol tell me how one is distinguish as a terrorist, how do you define a terrorist? Is it someone who supports a different fraction to you in Somalia?

There has been misuse of this practice with people literally just reporting people they dislike or whose life they want to ruin, out of jealous and envy.

Unless someone says to me, hey Ibti, this bomb is going off in few hrs there, I aint report no one based on their views or who they support. No sir. Ruining some ones life by labeling them as terrorist is a serious crime, and you better have solid proof that they are intending to harm people.

P.s. Although on second though, maybe we should report Abdulilah Yusuf and his MPs next time they are here. :D

-Lily-   

The phrase, speak the truth even if it is against yourselves comes to mind. I think if it is something trivial (like say, DVD piracy), and the punishment is more severe that necessary and you know it would harm that person more you can try to help them stop doing whatever it is they are doing.

Obviously harmful crimes against other humans like grievous bodily harm, rape, murder require no thinking at all and must be reported immediately. Reminds me of the trend where criminals are deported or hid which sends the wrong message to youngsters, like they are above the law and can get away with anything.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Ibtisam:

^^^LOOOL @ like the kid with the camera.

cool scene huh? :D Cloverfield is the best movie i have seen this year, caught me completely by suprise, i thought i was going to see a Day After Tommorow type of film but WWHOAAA!! :D

red sea

Sxb if your thoughts were currency, they'd be worth less than the zimbabwean dollar.

ibtisam

the terrorism is just one aspect of it, and I understand it can be sensitive, and one should only inform the authorities when they are absolutely sure. But what about other criminals, murderers, rapists etc we seem to have no problem protecting them or sending them to somalia where they will do more damage.

RedSea   

This whole thread isn't about informing anything. It relates to the recent snitching in MPLS done some arogant somalis like you who have shamed the somalis both here abroad and at home. You gonna have to live with that. This isn't my thoughts only, this is how ordinary somalis in Minnesota particularly feel, about the people like your type.

If we are to properly integrate into our host countries and take advantage of the benefits offered, then we must be willing to do our part to help fight terrorism, and criminals and let the system work

I am sniffing a Dabaqodhi here. Jaajuska tahay maxaan idhaa smile.gif

But seriously, if i ever saw a major offence being comitted by my brother, i will call the relevant authorities. What i wont do is,go out of my way and do the police's Job by reporting minor ish,like a taxile staying with his wife because guriga isumusan qorin.

But,why do you ask this?

Originally posted by Mujaahid Red Sea:

This whole thread isn't about informing anything. It relates to the recent snitching in MPLS done some arogant somalis like you who have shamed the somalis both here abroad and at home. You gonna have to live with that. This isn't my thoughts only, this is how ordinary somalis in Minnesota particularly feel, about the people like your type.

It's about morals and doing the right thing my slow freind, but considering where you are from, what would you know about that?

Anybody would inform the authorities about those who seek to manipulate and send kids off to somalia to commit suicide bombings. It's not even about politics but right and wrong.