Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

A nose for words

Johnny B   

How does our sense of smelling really functions ? We seem to take for granted our ability to diffrentiate diffrent scents (smells),but a constant problem we have is naming what we smell.

Wet must ALWAYS relate a scent or smell to something. a Coffe smell, the scent of a Rose!

How do we link a scent to a particular thing is effected by what we call " A nose for ".

I´ve this childhood feeling from the scent (smell) of a freind of mine in the basement , as we were trying to steal a bike, we were sweating as if it was raining, I used to refer to that scent(smell) often and say , that smells like Anders in the basement , but later i realized that it was UNIQUE scent.and ppl diden´t really get it, untill today i don´t know how to transmit and explain that scent or smell to other people.

* Sniff, sniff *, you smell kina pretty , wanna smell me? by Johnny B

Have you an experience of one of those weird scents, smells?

Ibtisam   

:eek: :eek: some one is going off the edge. do you by any chance sniff everything and everybody u see? :D

no i don't have that problem. only the London underground smell comes into mind :mad: but as all Londoner knwo what this smell is i don't have a problem explaining it.

Johnny B   

^^ THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT. icon_razz.gif

GIVE THE SCENT A NAME, "THE LONDON UNDERGROUND SMELL" :D

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT TO SAY " A HARGEISAWI "?

Ibtisam   

i am sure the A HARGEISAWI will understand in the near future. for now they will just have to imagine it just as they imagine that money drops through our letter box’s while we sit on our backsides all day, but we are still too mean to share the Free money. :rolleyes:

in any case it is not just a smell. if we go to other countries there is a total cultural barrier, for example how do you explain to a white man in london that he should eat pasto with his hands and then lick his figures as there is blessing from doing this. he would laugh at you.

or a Jamaican/ Angolan man, that you must first marry before having sex, he would tell you "no man, me da check everythin works"

The problem of naming a smell, or a color or anything else our senses perceive is interesting.

Tank: Here you go, buddy; "Breakfast of Champions."

Mouse: If you close your eyes, it almost feels like you're eating runny eggs.

Apoc: Yeah, or a bowl of snot.

Mouse: Do you know what it really reminds me of? Tasty Wheat. Did you ever eat Tasty Wheat?

Switch: No, but technically, neither did you.

Mouse: That's exactly my point. Exactly. Because you have to wonder: how do the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken, for example: maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything.

Maybe "THE LONDON UNDERGROUND SMELL" is like the smell of this paper am holding here... which is ... sniff sniff ... kind of woody

^LSD.

Hm, am very sensitive to smell. I can get quite graphic when describing SMELLS. My sis, cousin and I have a name for a certain smell. It's been in our vocab for years, nobody else will understand or appreciate it. The mere mention of it sneds me into giggles. No point sharing it, u have to have been there when we used to smell it. Describing smells can be like describing a FUNNY INCIDENT. U just had to have been there.

Anywho, I love the gross expression: bisad inay meesha wax ku dhashay. For eye-watering bad smells.

P.S: anybody been around a cat giving birth? Any associated smell?

God. I. AM. GROSS. :D

Cara.   

I have no expectations regarding cat placenta. Weird, I know.

Anyway, smell is closely linked to memory, which is why a certain scent can immediately trigger a half-forgotten memory in startling detail. Which is why, in sappy movies, the heartsick heroine is tearfully sniffing her dearly departed lover's items of clothing.

Me, I can't tolerate the smell of Vimto. You know, that blood-red drink popular in Somalia and (unfortunately) available at many halal stores worldwide. I used to love it as a kid, but one day this creepy neighbour lured me into her house, locked the front door and threatened to kill me. When I cried, she gave me some Vimto, but naturally I didn't want to drink anything, so she forced me. I had to drink a whole jugful while an unkempt woman smiled encouragingly while holding a cleaver. Ever since then, smelling even a whiff of the stuff panicks me out.

Johnny B   

Sheh, a cat giving birth is so common icon_razz.gif , sniff,sniff,How´d you name the scent of the chennel 5 you´re wearing plus your natural scent in a hot summer day?

M of E .. man , you sound so blue :D

Callypso, i never shop at "halal" stores, but i find this for ya. Vimto.JPG

Liban , i know it sounds bad, but i lack words to share the feeling with you.

Did you know that most Somali family homes(that i´ve been to) smell that strong and disgusting incense ?

That smells like death or something :(

nafta   

anybody been around a cat giving birth? Any associated smell?

I was, but I don't want to say what the smell reminded me off. That would be too gross redface.gif

Nephissa   

Eeeuuu, this place smells like Bulaacad or Boosaneero.

^^ Just a gross expression I use to describe ur, ur dhaafay.

Happy Friday.

U'll want to keep what cat-birth smells like to yourselves! Shame, it's the closest I'd have got to a cat and her litter. Cat's disgust me. Uff.

IP, Channel No Shan smells foul to me. Its popularity confounds me. Callypso, u're right, nothing conjures up memory faster than an aroma. This is why I need a new perfume in my life. The others all remind me of the time when..btw, that fiimtoo story is hilarious.