Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Syria 2007

Urban   

Alhamdulillah alive and safe.

Today was the worst day in our area so far, live bullets and tear gas were fired just 2 mins from our place. I went outside to see what was going on but I couldn't see clearly, the group of protesters were surrounded by plain clothes police officers and a few uniformed riot police. I didn't stay outside long enough since there was a warning that snipers would be called up, and to be honest you can't even trust the seemingly innocent bystanders anyway. An hour later I could see from our balcony a few army soldiers and plain clothes officers patrolling the streets with machine guns, and sure enough one of them was carrying a black sniper rifle. I can't confirm if any one died, I haven't even left the house since! All of this happened after the Friday prayer and last for about 3 hours.

Last wednesday the internet and phone lines were cut off for half the day, it turns out they had a list of people who went out to protest, and plucked them out of their homes one by one. Apparently some secret agents take part in these protests and pretend to video record the action when really all they're doing is capturing the protesters' faces and later finding their names and addresses.

A couple of days prior to that I was on my way to the city centre and our mini bus was stopped for a routine check by this man carrying a russian machine gun, he looked inside and only asked me for I.D after asking if I was Iraqi. Alhamdulillah on the particular day I was carrying my passport since I was going to Dahabshiil. I told him I was Somali and gave him my passport, he returned it without another word. I can't even imagine the crap I would've gone through to prove who I am if I didn't have it.

So far the protests are breaking on Fridays only, I think we'll only leave if it becomes a daily thing. Wallahul Musta'an.

Salams