Sign in to follow this  
Animal Farm

Somali teen saves blind man's life....

Teen honoured for saving blind man's life

KEVIN MCGRAN

TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

050901_osman_hersi_250.jpg

Osman Hersi dismissed his own fears to save the life of a blind man who had fallen to the tracks at the Sheppard subway station and lay unconscious.

And yesterday the 17-year-old student was honoured by the TTC for his bravery.

Surrounded by family and friends, Hersi told TTC commissioners what happened at 8:25 a.m. on June 8 while on his way to school.

"When he fell in, I thought to myself, `Get this guy out as quick and as safe as possible,'" Hersi said. "I knew the third rail had electricity, so I tried to avoid that. When I jumped in, I lifted up the guy, who was unconscious. I jumped up myself. And a minute or so later, the train came."

By then a crowd had gathered on the platform and Toronto Transit Commission officials had called for medical help. Feeling he'd done all he could and that the man was safe, Hersi boarded the train for school.

"Of course I was scared," Hersi said. "But I thought to myself, `What if that was me?' Do for others what you want to be done for yourself."

To thank him for his bravery, the TTC gave Hersi a plaque and a Metropass for September, worth $98.75.

"It's not very often you get to be a hero at 17 years old," TTC chair Howard Moscoe said. "If we had more people like Osman, this would be truly a wonderful place to live.

"Your presence of mind to jump to somebody's aid at the risk of yourself is truly an amazing feat."

Hersi was joined by his family, including parents and grandparents, as the TTC feted his heroics. "He did a very good thing," said his stepfather, Yusuf Kahin. "He helped someone by putting himself on the line."

His mother, Batula Ahmed, was proud of her son but worried that he risked his life. "But he saved a life, that's what's important."

Pucca   

nearly shouted "yea!! he's somali too!" while reading the paper on the subway. :D

*thank goodness i had no voice..thank you god for the cold!"