Sign in to follow this  
murefu

somali women vs nursing studies: am i thinking wrong or it is..

murefu   

nursing studies is somewhat good career, but i am asking here what is in it(nursing studies) for most somali women(boqolkiiba todobaatan ayaa barta gaar ahaan NORTH AMERICA), are most of our special sweet somali women misleading as same as one of them buy DIRAC another one will need to buy same DIRAC or they seriouly studying as for your futur goals?

what are those basic motivators force/influence most of you to go into nursing, and why not other suitable careers for ladies like: HR, MARKETING,there must be something special in nursing studies, you might tell.....

Naden   

What a load of cow dung! :rolleyes: Your patronizing drivel isn't fooling anyone; make fun of women studying nursing all you want but don't try to hide it behind an earnest question. Nevermind suitable careers for the 70% of Somali women in nursing, get yourself to a farm quick, lots of constipated cows need your helping hand.

JUSTICE   

i was so close to apply for nursing course last year, but i didn't.

well it's obvious why somali girls would want to apply for nursing. The job is alright, you get employed once you finish, you will always be in demand where ever you are in the world, the money is not all that, but it gives you financial security. and there is peer pressure, family pressure.

murefu   

What a load of cow dung! Your patronizing drivel isn't fooling anyone; make fun of women studying nursing all you want but don't try to hide it behind an earnest question. Nevermind suitable careers for the 70% of Somali women in nursing, get yourself to a farm quick, lots of constipated cows need your helping hand.

i did not mean smerky comment, i was just asking if you dont have anything to contribute in mind you just look great to be amusnaan....

NGONGE   

Why do Somali men become Bus drivers? Why do they open restaurants and Internet cafes? Why is Dubai’s Gold Suuq full of Somali Hotels?

What’s with the One Pound Shops (One Dollar if you’re American)?

It’s fine to have ambition and dream of studying Geology, Geography or Advanced Latin. But when push comes to shove and you need to acquire a job, you would need to ask around and find information about these jobs. Nursing is a great profession. It’s not easy to study but once you qualify it’s one of those careers where you’re almost guaranteed a job (not many other careers have such guarantees).

Secondly, on the issue of careers and ambitions, you’ll be surprised to find that not many people are that ambitious! For the majority, their ambition (career wise) only extends as far as acquiring a degree in a respectable subject and securing some sort of well-paid job. Not everyone that studies law is a passionate lawyer that would effortlessly quote Cicero or even Atticus Finch (Or Shakespeare’s: first thing we do is kill the lawyers :D ). Most just probably wanted to be lawyers and are now doing the job like everyone else and are happy with whatever position they carved for themselves in their particular firm/field. However, one or two might harbour dreams of becoming QCs or, in time, becoming an authority in their particular area of expertise (but that’s just one or two). The same would apply to Doctors, engineers and scientists. It’s the way of the world. For example, how many doctors have you met that were the sons of doctors. How many lawyers (I’m not talking about Somalis alone here)?

In short, I think the majority of people choose their careers according to the information they happen to have at their fingertips at the time. A Somali woman can easily find out all she needs to know about nursing from a dozen people that she knows. A Somali man can easily find out about Bus Driving or Restaurant owning (requirements) from a hundred people he knows. Success after that really depends on the individual.

Having said all of that, in these modern days, people’s ambitions and passions sometimes have nothing to do with careers. You’ll find some men (and women) that are passionate about stamp collecting would travel the world to attend exhibitions on the subject but would not necessarily have a career in the mail business. A case in point is our very own JB! Did you know that he is a fanatic Star Trek fan? In fact, after dumping his last partner (O’Hara) he had to redecorate his bedroom in the shape of Voyager’s bridge just to accommodate his new partner (Seven of Nine). True Story. :D

fartun   

Nursing is the most demanding career and of the hardest thing to major in, believe me i know this through exprience, i have BSN degree as a nurse and better yet am doing my PA (physician Assistant) in Master at UCLA and hopefully if i dont' slack i would be getting my MA in PA this upcoming may inshalalh, and better yet go to medical school if my husband is able to pay for my education... just to let you all know in order to became a nurse you have to have what it takes to be a nurse, and you have to qualify to be a nurse. as we all know that most of our somali sistah say they want to be a nurse but the reality is that not many people make through nursing school. any way for yo all making fun of nurse, better yet respect them nurses and support them coz you never know you be coming to them saying "i have pain is some were can you tell me waht it is", any way the moral of this is nurse isn't what you think it is once again choose your words wisely and let them sistah be our future doctors inshalalh.

Sacdiya   

Like almost everyone in here point out, nowadays nursing field is compatible because there are needs for nursing staff and the demand is high. Why more Somali women? because we like challenges and we know that job opportunities for nurses are increasing and that is why everyone is going for it. Or it could be women nature; you have to be a caring, and compassionate to be a nurse and we as women fit that category. Why are more Somali men going for computer science major? That could be their nature too or among other reasons.

hodman   

Of course nursing is demanding and all that but the question is why not go for other careers that might be less demanding and more exciting. I fail to understand this trend of becoming a nurse; if you have what it takes to be a nurse you also have what it takes to be anything else. I say this because when I talk to some of these girls who are studying to be a nurse and ask them why they chose it, they usually say it’s because it pays well. Some of them don’t even like being around people let alone sick people!

This does not mean that this is the case with all of the future nurses but some are just following what they hear, and years of study later discover that it’s not all that great and that the money is really not all that too.

Ibtisam   

After Just finishing Uni, I though about going back into uni to do nursing, but then the top up fees is why above my savings, so i applied for my MA next year instead. I think everyone should have the basic skills, first aid and what ever else they could do, it is good and comes in handy, especially if you are interested in 3rd world development etc

I could never ever do a girly-girl profession like nursing, I always pictured myself as the CEO of a multinational company in a cutthroat environment-Power attorney-nuclear physicist who is responsible for making bombs type person. I blame my dad for raising with 6 bros and not treating me any differently. Don't get me wrong tho it is a great profession. So if majority of girls go into it what is it to 2 you? Mind your own business!

You all are missing the point. Women gravitate to soft sciences and the arts because they lack the wherewithal to do otherwise. They lack the brains. Women have smaller brains. Even the President of Harvard alluded to this a while back and you know if the president of Harvard thinks the same it must be true.

Johnny B   

Unlike some here , i'm of the idea that we support our sisters who hit the book , no matter what they study and make a career of it.

If it happens that a specefic Career attracts or seems to attarct most of the systers, i don't see anything wrong in that, unless i was too sexy for my shirt. :D

in fact more Somali nurses are gonna be needed as we've a never ending civil war and an aging Diaspora, i think you all heard that when one gets very old only mother tongue will be available to him(her)in the short memory.

Just imagine Ngonge old n senile, a Somali nurse preferablyy one who speaks and dresses Arabic would be in Demand. :D

To the poster - what exactly are you studying that you think your above or smarter than nurses and makes you think you can put down someone who has chosen that career?

You sound spiteful and mean - perhaps a somali nurse dumped you?

Nursing is a good profession and a rewarding career.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

A case in point is our very own
JB
! Did you know that he is a fanatic Star Trek fan? In fact, after dumping his last partner (O’Hara) he had to redecorate his bedroom in the shape of Voyager’s bridge just to accommodate his new partner (Seven of Nine).

That shows what you know. JB would never dump classy Uhura for that big-boobed ex-borg. As if.

Isn't that so, JB? ;)