Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Court sentences man to two years in jail for stabbing wife 15 times

N.O.R.F   

Court sentences man to two years in jail for stabbing wife 15 times

By Bassam Za'za', Staff Reporter

Published: November 21, 2007, 00:22

Dubai: A husband, who stabbed his wife 15 times for seeking divorce will spend two years behind prison bars, ruled a court on Tuesday.

The Dubai Court of First Instance also fined the 23-year-old Somali husband, identified as A.H., Dh5,000. He will be deported after serving his term.

The Public Prosecution charged the accused with consuming liquor and attempting to murder his 20-year-old compatriot wife, F.A., in a hotel room.

Presiding Judge Saeed Salem Bin Sarm referred the accused to the Court of Misdemeanour where he will be prosecuted for consuming liquor.

"Killing you is better than divorcing you," the husband reportedly shouted, who was drinking heavily at the time, the court heard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How dare you call the police. I am your husband. You are an impolite woman," the wife, F.A., quoted her husband in her statement to the Public Prosecution.

F.A. who was saved after she was rushed to hospital said: "My husband asked me to come to the hotel and meet his uncle. We quarrelled over a juice bottle which I suspected contained liquor."

She said her husband was outraged when she asked him for divorce "He locked the door from inside... then repeatedly stabbed me until I passed out," said the wife who was treated for injuries in her thigh, wrist, belly, chest and face.

gulfnews

nuune   

2 yrs for being Somali, Zero yrs for UAE Nationals!

On the other side, the sentence is too small for stabbing the woman 15 times.

Baluug   

It looks to me like the attempted murder part isn't even being brought into consideration, and he's only being charged for drinking alcohol. Absolutely terrible.

chubacka   

poor woman being so young as well... :(

He was prob so drunk that he did not have much chance of killing her, mayb they took that in to consideration.

Anyway 2 yrs seems enough time for him to sober up and get on wid his life, an enough time for the woman to get the hell out of that place

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Sophistafuncated:

Cadaan, I was thinking the exact same thing walahi. *******s!

On a side note, isn't this old? I remember reading this awhile back.

The media is funny over here. The whole case is aired to the public with no regard for the actual court, victims and alleged. I think it was first read a few months ago when he appeared at the court initially. This is now the verdict.

N.O.R.F   

Adunyo!

Man gets four years for carrying marijuana

By Bassam Za'za', Staff Reporter

Published: November 22, 2007, 00:11

Dubai: A Canadian suspect who seemed confident that he would be fined for carrying 0.66 grams of marijuana and cancelled his lawyer's power of attorney has been jailed.

The Dubai Court of First Instance sentenced the 44-year-old Canadian of Jamaican origin, R.A., to four years in jail. He will be deported after serving his term.

When Presiding Judge Fahmi Mounir pronounced the verdict yesterday, the accused seemed 'startled' after the court translator relayed it to him.

The Public Prosecution charged him with illegally bringing in 0.66 grams of drugs for personal use. The accused pleaded guilty before the court last week.

He also cancelled his lawyer's power of attorney before the judge and said he needed a "fast verdict" and would pay a fine and leave.

gulfnews

Tuujiye   

F carab Courts and their laws!!!! He freeking almost killed the woman!!! 2 years?? and not even because of the atempting murder?? subxaana laah!!! If that girl has a brother or a father or anyone, they should find that guy when he is send back to Somalia and stap him 15 times......

Wareer Badanaa!!!

N.O.R.F   

Hmmm

Rape victim was an adulteress - Saudi ministry

AP

Published: November 26, 2007, 00:33

Riyadh: The Saudi Justice Ministry announced that a girl gang raped by seven men and then sentenced to six months in prison and 200 lashes for adultery had confessed to cheating on her husband, in its latest response to the negative international reaction to the incident.

The statement confirmed that the flogging sentence against the rape victim would be carried out and condemned foreign interference. "The Saudi justice minister expressed his regret about the media reports over the role of the women in this case which put out false information and wrongly defend her," said the statement.

"The charged girl is a married woman who confessed to having an affair with the man she was caught with." In 2006 a Shiite Saudi 19-year-old, known only as the 'Girl from Qatif,' said she had recently been married and met a high school friend in his car to retrieve a picture of herself from him. While in a car with him, two men got into the vehicle and drove them to a secluded area where others waited, and then she and her companion were both raped.

She was sentenced to prison and 90 lashes for being alone with a man not related to her and when her lawyer, Abdul Rahman Al Lahem, appealed the sentence, he was removed from the case, his licence suspended and the penalty doubled to 200.

The Justice Ministry maintained, however, that the ruling was legal and followed the ''the book of God and the teachings of the Prophet Mohammad [PBUH]," noting that she had "confessed to doing what God has forbidden."

The ministry's account of the incident differed substantially from that given by the woman and her lawyer and largely glosses over her rape by seven men, focusing instead on her plan to meet her lover for tryst in his car "in a dark place where they stayed for a while."

gulfnews.com