Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Skirts Skirts Skirts!

JB, you are as generous as you are vivacious. :D

C&H and GG, I have been to the states and although the variety and range of skirts in Somali malls over there is high, most of them ima anfacaan. Same with the london Somali shops I have tried. I actually prefer the plain, loose skirts above to the garish, busy, flowery stuff they stock.

CL, lol....not everything revolves around men or marriage. I doubt my husband would care what I wear, unless I start dressing like a street walker. Then eyebrows will get raised and my divorce papers dropped on my lap.

Buuxo, you're right. I need tailor-made. Aah...now I wish I had brought back more Lao silk!

Adam, check you out! The Somali fashionista! (In the most masculine sense, of course).

Now, NG has reminded I forgot to check a certain website for skirts. *Skips off*

Kool_Kat   

Long skirts and good ol' winter? Naga daa dee! Ma barafkaa rabtaa inaad laamiyada ka nadiifiso? :D

I'm not much of a long skirt person, I'm too short...Like Malika said 3/4 skirts and boots works for me, if ever I wear a skirt...Lately, I've been noticing, at the Somali shops, iney ilbexeen...They take skirts from Mango, H&M, Zara and have it made overseas...Price kana boorsada kaama qafiifinaayo (yacni it isn't bad)...

Good luck...

NGONGE   

^^ Take a chalk and walk towards Val, dear. Draw a straight line by her feet. Now stand next to her. See the line? Anything beyond it is a no-go-area. icon_razz.gif

Now come here and draw a circle around us. :D

How dare you insult me in that manner. Grabs the chalk, draws a circle around her and the old man, stands upright rolling her eyes and tapping her feet. o.k. old man, am waiting.

Val,

Gadaashaa Somali shops have advanced a bit. Flowery and silky waalaga ilbaxay. All kinds of skirts baa hada socdo.

I just can't handle anything that big and fluffy. I'm sort of short so anything that big will make me look like umba lumba!

Honesita   

Salaam

My jeans/pants under my abaya feel the best at any season... i got sick of all the glittery black abayas with unwanted materials hanging from them... so i opted for fabrics from JoAnn's and a great tailor... i even find scarves that go with my abayas! Cheap and totally authentic since it's my creation... I love it!!!

Try fabric stores sistah...

Fi Amaani'Laah

Val Somali skirts are awesome, you can find nice plain skirts from their and the prices are fair ranging $15-20 dollars. Some of my white friends now started wearing the Somali skirts over the summer and they love it. Remember it all depends on your creativity when it comes to style, you can wear anything and make it look nice on you.

Buuxo   

Somali shops waxood quality maleh.I bought loads recently from states and I had to throw away nearly half .they must use the cheapest materials and poor quality stitch-work. Val ,I'm glad now there is more options available in some the store,even in my tuulo smile.gif . Lao silk? nicely done. I want me some unique African patterns & preferably not in course material .Any in London-town?

I'm loving the Turkish hijab and fashion line Armine. Unfortunately they only sell their silk scarves online, the clothes seem to be only available in their shops in Istanbul.

mnk4641_343_33250.jpg

Isn't this whole outfit beautifully put together? This is the kind of style I like. But the skirt length has to be LONG. 3/4 skirts would be too short on me. Especially when combined with the scrumptious chunky heeled ankle boots that are all the rage this season.

More gorgeous outfits...

mnk4636_338_97329.jpg

mnk5376_395_13804.jpg

mnk4639_341_41563.jpg

Yum yum. Istanbul, here I come! :D

Buuxo, I love Africans patterns too. Especially in Nigerian silk. There are a lot of African fabric shops in London but I haven't checked any out yet. I'll let you know the range and prices once I do, I'A.

-Lily-   

Val, I am in the same situation since I ditched the trousers this summer, and have been having more luck online than in stores.

For work skirts, you’ll most definitely have to tailor-make, you may find the odd long black skirt but that is it. I am trying to have this 96438_in_l.jpg wool skirt from netaporter tailored, at £480, it’s way cheaper. Plus you can be sure its to your exact specification, and the material of your choice. If my new local tailor has made a masterpiece out of it I’ll forward you his details.

If you like the printed, flowery style, here are a few I saw online. Long skirts also need fabulous heels, I think flat shoes kill long skirts.

207033509.tif&tmp=newlook_prodStandard&cgallery4ColPortraitT?$gallery4ColPortrai New Look

very.co.uk

10700789_Print_medium.jpgwww.awear.com

Dresses are not bad either but they are a bit more difficult to handle in wet weather, so skirts get my vote. Lots of knitted dresses around too.

Dresses

10202196_Black_medium.jpg the trick is if it looks slightly loose to go 2 sizes up.

6213067099_1.jpgwww.warehouse.com

05_WarehouseWinter_Shot08_074.jpg again by warehouse, going up a size or two works.

Even in mid-winter, a leggings, slip and knee-high boots are all you need. I dont see people stop wearing short dresses in winter. I hear Istanbul is a nice little shopping destination.

Don’t shop at M&S! Try mangooutlet.com as well, although the stuff there goes fast, and understandably so.

Malika, it is hard to pray in ¾ skirts & looks a bit dodgy with hijab, (if you wear one that is). It also looks like you’re not really committed , or at least it makes me feel that way smile.gif

Thanks Lily. I like the wool skirt and the last warehouse dress. Thick soft textured fabrics work best for cold weather, don't you think? I always wonder how women wear short skirts in winter - so brrr.

I don't like the M&S skirts either, the lengths are a bit weird. Mangooutlet is fabulous, I saw some nice skirts but the popular sizes get sold out so quickly!

Dresses, I already have a few. It's just the skirts giving me trouble. Please do let me know how your tailor turns out. I'm also checking out some Indian fabric and tailoring services in Tooting.