Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Growing up is such a b****h

Nephissa   

Let me tell you a little about who I USED to be. When I was a teenager up until few years ago, I dressed up ALOT. I had 2 closets stuffed to the gills with designer clothes, don't even get me started about shoes. Jewelry? sheeesh! I had an enormous collection. I often had a set of things, the matching necklace, earrings and bracelet. I always had my makeup just perfect, when I was able I matched my nail polish.

You get the general idea.

Over the years, [boy, have times changed!] I have become so casual as to wish I could be naked most of the time. It takes me 15 minutes to get ready. One of these days when I have the money, I'm going to have a breast removal so I don't even have to wear a bra, I swear.

Is this old age or change in life circumstance? Has anyone else gone through this change?

Adna   

slaam.

Dependence on what you mean, but if its like general impression that i got is that may be you got married and had couple kids, and you have more responsibiliteis and that changes your priorities. However, i beleive it's a normal thing to go throught, yet remeber as you age you become Wiser. Aint Nothing wrong with getting little old sis Comeone on my club and lets have you knwo what they say though you got to live once so don't let this age thing pull you down, i mean your busy i assume and you are busy and ur periorities have changed So What? ;)

nuune   

Nature all the way, way to go :D

Bishy, armuu cudurka buufiska la dhaho kugu dhacey, not the general buufis, but buufiska dadka galo

-Lily-   

Gosh, you did all that as a teenager? If you’re busy you’re busy and making an effort may come across as frivolous but I personally think it’s nice to look more than presentable and make an effort for yourself.

For a lot of people it is the opposite, tomboy, not bothered through their teens and suddenly discovering high heels and lip-gloss after student life.

Ibtisam   

^^^Aaah, that does not sound good Lily, do you mean I might suddenly start wobbling in heels I cannot walk in and draw on eyebrows, and this new trend of Arab style eyeliner and eye shadow. :eek: Oh please lord no.

I've always been like how Nephy is (minus the bit about wanting to be naked all the time of course) I hate designer things. Can you imagine paying an arm and a leg to be a walking advertisement and sometimes billboard. Such a waste in my opinion! I like to look and feel CLEAN, bright (very very bright/colourful) but besides that I like to keep it basic.

Nephy don't worry, you are becoming wiser with age, I'm not too sure if pimping ayeeyos look good. :D

^LOL. I am the opposite to N. I used to look like a student(but not smell, never that smile.gif ). Then went through an excessive shopping phase. Now I buy fewer better quality pieces which will compliment one another so I can mix n match. Colour suits my current life mental stage. I lived in black for years. Can't hack it any more.

Having said all that, I actually smell right now and need to wash and pray duhr. Burnt toast. In hair, sweater and eye balls. Ugh.

NGONGE   

There is a wide open goal there that simple modesty prevents me from pointing out. I shall wait for rudy or ducaysana to take this penalty. :D:D

Nephissa   

:mad: @ NG. You need to clean your mind out daily....just as you do when you shower for your body.

Lilly, :D , I still want to look nice and be pretty but I would really rather spend $$$ on home improvements these days, and wonderful meals etc etc. Isma nicin, not yet..

Bisharo, nin baad heshay that is why aad isku nacday. wixii lugugu guursadey baad rabtaa in aad remove garayso. yaa kaa yeelaya. is qaawi hadaad rabtid laakiin ha isku taabanin kuwaas.

Kool_Kat   

^ :D:D

The older I get, the more fashionista I become...As teen, yea I liked wearing nice stuff, but wasn't 'til my early twenties I've started to wear designer stuff...Then as of late, designer stuff just don't appeal to me any more...Besides anyone can get the same/similar item at a very low price - so why bother with qaaligooda?

One thing with me that I wish I could change is the fact that I hate wearing the same thing twice when going to special occasions - be it surwaal, shaati, funaanad, dirac, garbasaar, boorso, or kabo...Another thing is that the older I get, I became obsessed with shoe shopping...For every pair of shoes I have, I have a purse and jewlery to compliment them...

The I way I see it, it is not what you wear, but how you accessorize yourself...It is all about the accessories...

With that said, I've seen so many woman who give up on their looks once they get married...I don't know why they do it, could be they think cuz ninbey heleen they don't need to dress up or look good or keep a nice, neat appearance...

^^ Very good pionts sister.

My fashion style got better when I got married. Before, I used to be casual and my mom used to complain about it. She would spend so much money buying the latest brand name purses, shoes and sometimes I would end not wearing them. When I got married I become a fashionista. I buy the latest abays, hijabs, purses. I get my hair done every two weeks, go the gym. The point is you don't have to look good for outside only. You should dress up well when your at home for your husband to make him proud ;) . I know most of the somali ladies would wear baati at home and dress up so well when they are going outside :rolleyes: smile.gif . Just because you got marry that doesn't mean you should give up your style look ugly.

As I am about to turn 29, I can't believe I would say this but nothing has changed about my dressing habits...I have always went for comfort rather than style, when I go shopping I go straight to the stores I like and if I can't find anything, I am done for the day...I don't think about what I am going to wear or plan it, It just depends on what calls to me when I am dressing...When I buy new clothes I like to wear them right away and once they go to the laundry room I completely forget about them....But I am getting an appreciate for having several good pieces that fit well and allow variety in mixing and matching...So I feel as I get older I am going to be more improved in my dressing styles and hopefully become smart dresser and shopper.

As to breast removal ouch too extreme for me but I do definitely understand the desire and when I get it I go without.

bee bye SS

Buuxo   

LOL@Nephyst,don't think it's age related but i had the same feelings in my teens including the breast removal but it was so i can play BB in peace.

Now come on get back on that Horse ,and be the yummy mummy you are( if you not a mum,disregard..im being typical somali ..khayr baan ku siraadina.)

Nephissa   

^Thanks abbaayo.

I don't agree with the notion that the majority of women let themselves go after marriage. Perhaps the reasoning is contentment and age? Not laziness or lack of attention to image but rather instead getting wrapped up in the changes to your lifestyle, daily chores, increased time demands at work and at home, increase of attention on eachother. I think age and environment play a great deal in this game. Its all about the stage in life and what you choose to make a priority at that time.

Originally posted by Ducaysane:

Bisharo, nin baad heshay that is why aad isku nacday. wixii lugugu guursadey baad rabtaa in aad remove garayso. yaa kaa yeelaya. is qaawi hadaad rabtid laakiin ha isku taabanin kuwaas.

ooo fooking ell not you again! Maxay kula tahay inuu igu guursaday? Ma maqal miyaa, behind every good cook there is a happily fed man? icon_razz.gif