Sign in to follow this  
AminaTammy

Half Somali Food Blog

Originally posted by Abwaan:

quote:Originally posted by Lt-QA:

somali food is very unhealthy, you're better of learning some other types of cuisine.

What is with the generalisation and such a negative remarks?
I like somali food, it's tasty. in fact, there is this restaurant in toronto called hamdi that has really good food.

but it's still very unhealthy, too much oodkac, basto iyo bariis is not good for you.

Senora   

You are so right about practicing with the anjera...I was hoping I would be alright with your recipe, but you're probably right about the pancake mix (great idea btw). I tried watching my mom do it, but whenever I got home to try it myself, I ended up throwing away the tests and the batter....will practice for breakfast tomorrow with the pancake mix so I wont throw anything away.

Aaliyyah   

^^keep practicing you'll be fine, I was there too...getting frustrated at my canjeelo mix looool...its ok u'll perfect it smile.gif

salaam

I can't take the credit on the pancake mix though...I saw my sister in law do it. It is perfect though because you don't need to let it sit. And it is really cheap to make.

Aaliyyah   

anytime supuu sis....

For me sabayad was always easier than laxoox/ canjeelo/canjeero, but at the end of the day once I got the hang of how to mix and make canjeelo I find it a whole lot easier both mixing and making it...unlike sabayad thats both time and energy consuming...

salaam

but it's still very unhealthy, too much oodkac, basto iyo bariis is not good for you. [/QB]

Most places (even our house) you have a big plate of rice, some chicken or meat and a small salad.

The solution is to make the rice or pasta a side dish, baked chicken and a bigger salad

Cara.   

Welcome to SOL Amina. I think someone found your page sometime ago and posted it here actually.

For canjeelo, I just use self-raising flour, cheaper than pancake mix and fewer additives I bet.

McDougalls%20-%20Self%20Rising%20Flour.j

Aaliyyah   

^in my house we use bur canjeelo..which is like self raising flour i think, dnt even know how much it costs. My mom buys it from some somali store.

will keep in mind ur suggestion Cara..

salaam

This is impressive Tammy. If I may suggest, one of my Favorite Sabayad dish is foto moos or as the yemenis say fatah Mauz. put Ripe bananas (one for each Sabayad), little honey or suger, ghee and dates if you like in food processor mixed it up and bon appetit

guledm   

WOW, chicken sabaya, my stomach is in love. These somali restaurants in toronto need to get on your blog in my opinion.

Emperor   

This was suppose to be about Somali food and quickly screening that website, I hadn't come across Hilib iyo Bariis... What's up? Hilib iyo Bariis please....

Besides, welcome to SOL...