Sign in to follow this  
x_quizit

Murder or choice?

x_quizit   

A week or so ago, I saw this disturbing story on the news, where a woman was charged with murder because doctors are alleging that she refused a C-section that would have saved the life of one of her unborn twins and that resulted in one of her twins to die. They said that she refused it because of vanity, stating to them that she didnt want a scar that comes along with a Cesarean birth.

Now the woman is denying all charges and makes a point that she already had 2 other kids in that same method, why deny a third? She's suspected of being mentally insane, and that she never wanted any of her other kids, and doctors are usuing that idea into persecuting her and charging her with murder in the state of Utah.

Now the q is, was she entitled to say no to a Csection if she thought both her kids would live or are doctors right in charging her with murder if she knowingly chose not to give her child the right to live. Or is this merely a witch hunt knowing that Utah is a hardcore mormon state.

Also, there's also this new wave where many women actually choose to schedule a Csection, because they don't want to go through the pain of childbirth. Are they missing out of a bonding experience or is it their right to choose how they deliver their kids?

Peace

underdog   

I know here in Toronto the doctors actually recomend C-sections whether it's needed or not. I read an article that suggested that doctors in Toronto perform the procedure because they get paid more for a c-section then a natural birth. Not too many natural births these days.

As for choice, If the life of the child or the mother is in danger then I believe the choice cannot be made by someone in extreme pain or under the influence of drugs.

Gediid   

^^^^^^^^UnderDog

Thats becoming more common around the world.More and more Doctors are rushing to perform C-Sections on the pretense that its absolutely needed but in reality its either to get more operations under their belt hence more experience or like you said to get paid more for performing the procedure.Now coming back to the topic I think if that woman refused the lifesaving C-Section on the basis of spoiling her Vanity then she I think she is Guilty.

The last part of the Q I believe is for the ladies to answer.

x_quizit   

Gediid, ur wlc to answer the last part, and all the other guys in here as well. Would u advise ur wife to have a natural birth or support her if her choice was to go through a Csection, although its not needed.

Ud, i guess doctors are taking advantage of it for purely material reasons, when in fact, there are extreme risks in Csections, and other than money, i cant understand why someone would voluntarily choose it.

i think another and more sinister reason why the promote c section, is to limit the number of children a women can have.

my advice to all u girls,

plan ahead, unless you have complications try to give birth at home, i know for a fact here in canada the health care system covers it, i cant seem to remember the name of the profession but there are women who assist with home births.

and brestfeed fo at least 2 years, like it says in the Quran, trust me your kids will be better off. although there is no caustive scietific data there is a lot of association between many disease specialy autoimmunity and bottle feeding.

LadyMo   

I think dis case is absolutely outrageous, I mean to loose a child especially when its due, I believe would be a punishment to de mother in its own right (and much more severe and long lastin dan any jail term).

Bear in mind dat dis women not only carried one child in her womb for 9months (or just under) but TWO!

Neo-natal death can cause severe depression to the mother and also as she has already had 2 previous c-sections it wud actually increase the risk of still-birth if she had a third caesarean!

I strongly believe the unborn child has every right to live therefore in life-threatenin situations the mother should follow the surgeons advice. But I must stress that women in general hav a choice of delivery howeva sumtimes dis can be overruled if anyone (i.e de mother or de unborn) are deemed to be at risk.

In England (on de NHS) women are only given a caesarean if there is a medical reason for it (unless u choose to go private ofcourse-were u'd hav a greater choice of delivery)

Bondin is wat takes place once de baby has been born and has very little to do wiv de means of which it was delievered. Now-a-days c-sections are much more precise hence de newborn can lie in de arms of de mother and from there bondin starts. Howeva if the mother is completely knocked out and she cant hold de baby there's a possibility that the initial bondin will be delayed.

Dats my views..

Jaabir   

I would believe she refused the C-secition surgery had she been a slim model who never had kids before, the women is about 200 lbs with 3 kids, I don’t think she cares much about a scare that could be perfectly hidden between flaps of her belly..

pearl   

i think another and more sinister reason why the promote c section, is to limit the number of children a women can have.

Bingo!...u hit it..any way to decrease population..

I honestly think the reason why she's accused of murder to set a precedence, so that in the future women wont refuse to get a c-section if the doc says so, cuz then it would be law and therefore illegal.

my cousin just had a baby, and the nurse said how the baby is too big(9pounds) and she cant deliver in a few hours she's gona get a c-section. low and be behold, just after 2 hours she was ready to give birth naturally, the nurse was shocked cuz she was lookin for a fat pay cheque, and even more worse she lied about his weight, cuz he weighted a mere 7 pounds. so evil :eek:

Heres my two cents

As she has already had two c/s according to the medical practise if a third one is done automatically a tube ligation is performed. No discussion end of the story. She is denied her right of having more children.

C/s is being exploited by the medical profession. I would advice all women my fellow sisters go for the natural way if there is no complication. There are alot of alternatives to give natural birth while still conscious. just from your lower back you dont feel the pain and will be able to have that first bonding with your newborn. Its safer and the body will get itself together if u do take care of your self and its been the way of Women since this world was created. Its for this reason women in Islam have been promised'Paradise is at the feet of the Mother.' And a child lost in labour prays for thier parents on the day of Judgement.'

Blessed   

I can't really comment on the case, as there isn't much data to go on. If she refused on grounds of vanity. She is guilty. I don't understand why people are suspicious of the medical profession - their aim is to preserve life. My sister is a Midwife and she is constatly faced with paranoid mothers to be - who end up losing their babise because the refuse to cooperate with the Doctors. I'm not saying that they are always correct in their analyses of the situation..but we should at least here them out and get a second opinion if you must.

Also. on the issue of Doctors wanting to decrease the population- I don't know about the USA but in England - the system actually welcomes the increase as the older generation outnumbers the young ones - and they fear having more pensioners than labourers. This off course would fcuk up their economy.

As far as bonding goes, I think Lady Mo summed it up beautifuly. Bonding process occures after birth and is enhanced through breastfeeding. The only way Csection inhibts the process is because -mothers may not be able to hold their babies straight away.

Originally posted by Ameenah:

The only way Csection inhibts the process is because -mothers may not be able to hold their babies straight away.

I disagree with this statement im a doctor to be inshallah in my Oby&Gyno rounds mothers who had c/S were more receptive of their babies as they had strong analgesics(cocktails) given to them.

im all for c-sections, of course i dont like the idea of getting my tubes tied on the third one (exactly where is this the law), but if you face me with the options of getting stitches on my belly or stitches *ahem* elsewhere... yeah well, slice me up.