Sign in to follow this  
Salma

OBJECTION ...Oprah

Salma   

Salax: Thank you, I’ll certainly do that.

Nomadic Princess: I would excuse people in the west during the Medieval Era & Dark Ages for not knowing anything about others due to the shortage of Information and researches. But, I’ll never excuse them for pretending ignorance nowadays towards the Muslims & Arabs. Common, the time of blaming the Orientalists and Western Scholars for spreading Hate and spoiling the images of the other nations had gone long time ago. Nowadays, the Educated and enlightened Westerns with the assistance of the Industry & Information Technology have reached to the deepest & the cruelest points in Amazon, Africa, Alaska & perhaps found the so-called “Aliens†in other planets. Its wicked that the people who reached these points couldn’t know little about their Muslims Neighbors on earth.

Rahima : I wonder if we give up answering everyone attacking us, then who will defend us. If we lose the feeling & the sense of being “Surprised/Angry towards what’s NOT acceptableâ€, then a time will come (perhaps it came already) and we will all become “Scarecrowsâ€.

OG: Welcome Back sis, first of all nobody is making Islam look bad, Islam is higher and very far from the enemies’ blames. And we all know well that there is a BIG difference between what Islam is calling for and what its followers are doing. But this is not the issue here this time, the Issue was about Countries’ Cultures. She could have shown simple things if she doesn’t have any feedback or choose Israel as they believe it’s a Middle Eastern country and talked greatly about them. Common OG, as if you are telling me that you approve what they done in Abu Ghuraib Jails just because Saddam used to do worse than that or some Arab Jails do the same. Its like ignoring the current problem by pointing fingers on the old one. The Western's mistake shouldn't be justified by the Arabs' mistake.

Zumurrud: True, she just went with the current mainstream which is very stup!d .

Athena: mmm,

Somali Women are beaten by their husbands= Some

Somali Women are not allowed to drive = True

Somali Women are forced to wear the Jilbaab= True, if someone told you that all what they see in Somalia is Somali women wearing Jilbaabs. Does that mean they are ALL forced to wear Jilbaab by Law?!

And guess what not all the Saudi Women are enforced by the Law to wear Abaya. Certainly, Conservative Clothes are required. Ever been to Jeddah and Abha sis?! Anyway, the Culture isn't ONLY about Clothes !!!

Besides, culture people culture, How come Oprah ignored about the Schedule Caste (The despised people in India) when she was bragging with Aishwaraya. Or about the unfair Law in India which is prohibiting the Non-Hindus from eating the Cow flesh coz of its holiness? How Come she didn’t mention the case of the Hindus Widows, who have no right to marry after their husbands pass away?!

Indians also have many negative points just like any other nation, but why she didn’t do the same with the Muslims & Arabs?!

One must ask himself Why would she do that?!

1- Because she is a gaalo as someone stated above.

2- Or due to her Ignorance as another one said.

3- Or, maybe because she wants to promote for her Show regardless of the information she knows/read about Muslims & Arabs (As an avid reader and a Reading Group Captain; I know many Reading Groups. For your information , Oprah reads well, and that’s what she was doing ever since she was a small girl. And now she has one of the successful online reading group, and the some members come to her show once every year).

4- Or because she is totally innocent and her narrow-minded co-workers prepared for the show that day and she just showed it. I guess then she should buy The Smart Guide to the Successful Media: Rule #1, TV Presenters, News Anchors, Journalists, reporters and everyone who work in the Media Field shouldn’t read anything on air if it wasn’t read/checked before.

But, whatever the reasons are, we all have the right to wonder, question and seek for explanation.

Weird Mentalities, Indeed!!

OG_Girl   

first of all nobody is making Islam look bad, Islam is higher and very far from the enemies’ blames. And we all know well that there is a BIG difference between what Islam is calling for and what its followers are doing.

Exactly my point. I always say there is a different between Islam and Muslims. But when we make those of us whom abuse and misuse Islam as heros or/and victims of Islam here where others connect between Islam teaching and these individuals(as you put it).So the problem isn't Oprah but my own people. We still denial enternal critism.

She could have shown simple things if she doesn’t have any feedback or choose Israel as they believe it’s a Middle Eastern country and talked greatly about them.

Nope,that's not her job to back to my " history" This is our Job to show them.To present to others how we feel and what the truth is.Besides, this woman and others likes her are fighting with words that reach out to people. If you want fight them back on equal ground with words and ideas. That seems logical to me. I don't give her that much credit about her being famous or rich! We are richer(here I'm not talking about East African Muslims or Asians but "us" Arabs)What we did the money we got, to face the challenges? Nothing!

Common OG, as if you are telling me that you approve what they done in Abu Ghuraib Jails just because Saddam used to do worse than that or some Arab Jails do the same. Its like ignoring the current problem by pointing fingers on the old one. The Western's mistake shouldn't be justified by the Arabs' mistake.

No,I disagree what happened at Abu Ghuraib and I disagree with My people , we want to use Western Media as a scapegoat and forget there is a problem with us.Change comes with "In" not outsiders. No one will come and point out our goods and expect from them to shake their heads and say"Bravo".I don't expect that!

There is definately a problem with us.I think the real difference here between you and me is that I don't see the work of God being done by either side.

For others: I'm my self an Arab and I really believe we are much better when it comes to negative sides of society than west because of Islam even though we don't follow it as we should. So please don't make it Arab bashing session.

Time to back to work :D

Salam

La-y-La   

salaams..

I watched that show and I felt very bad, just because she had to focus on the negative side of the middle east.

It would have been a lot better if she chose a different country than SA because SA is seen as a country that belittles its women and basically oppresses them.

What really surprised me was the fact that there was so much positive things said about all the other countries, but when it came to middle east, it was all "ooh she was beaten by her husband, she cant drive a car"!!!

The thing is dont ever expect gaalo to sit around and talk about how good muslims are to their women and as someone else already, some muslim nations are really not helping either.

all in all, ya'all shouldnt take things like this that personal.

asalaamu aleykum

the thing is women can drive and wear whatever they like in the outskirts of saudi arabia. its only in the heavily populated places where you have more restrictions and its known nationally that women do drive and wear colorful clothing outside the city.

in yemen, a neighbouring country of similar "culture", women drive, vote and are even represantatives in the parliament.

Rahima   

Zulfa,

Sister I was not advocating for inaction or silence rather I was highlighting her intentions. It was obvious to me anyway. We can always try to counteract, but let’s not put it down to ignorance. This was calculating to say the least.

bilan   

Originally posted by Zulfa:

mmm,

there was never a law in somalia banning women to drive, in somalia women did actually and still do drive cars. so i do not know where you get the information that somali women are not allowed to drive. :confused:

about oparah almost every newspaper in western highlight those things, and muslims are not helping to correct it. as long as muslims do not want to face their short comings nothing will ever change. i do not understand why on earth do we act as we are perfect society. muslims do abuse their women, islam gave women their rights but muslims took away those rights. some muslim countries women lose the custody of their sons as soon as they turn 7. by law some muslim countries man can force his wife to live with him and if she leaves him, he can get a court order and police will bring her back by force to her husband's house. some muslim countries women are not allowed to vote, and god forbid if she ever decides to get a divorce her case can be in court average 7 years while her husband marries and enjoys his life,and let's not even talk about honor killing and forced marriages. so all these things are not western propoganda but reality in many muslim countries, and how can we change those things if we do not want to acknowlege their existence. finally muslim culture and islam are two different things, and that's what i tell non-muslims.

Modesty   

I always wonder if Arab/muslim countries show western kafirs in a bad light in their news broadcasts and shows? I think so, does anyone know who lives there in arab countries?

Haddad   

Originally posted by Modesty:

...always...

You don't take a break, even for one day? You must be tough.

Blessed   

Oprah BLAH!

However, it has to be said despite the fact that Saudi women are amongst the most educated and wealthiest women in the world. They are still treated as children by their hypocritical policy makers. Their attitude to women is very contrary to that of Islam. But then again, so is thier views as regards other races, the pooor and justice.

What happens in KSA is a digrace, reflects badly on Muslims and Islam.

As for Oprah, I say it again; Blah :mad: to American arrogance. Let them clean up their own mess :rolleyes:

Somali Women are beaten by their husbands= Some

Somali Women are forced to wear the Jilbaab= True, if someone told you that all what they see in Somalia is Somali women wearing Jilbaabs. Does that mean they are ALL forced to wear Jilbaab by Law?!

Some.

False - As explained by Bilan.

False. Somalia is a lawless country. There is no law forcing any1 to wear anything. Somali women wear all sorts of colourful semi-hijaabs all over the country.

Anyways, Zulfu, while I can see your point that Oprah meant to point out the negetive aspects of the Arab world....these same aspects are considered admirable in the home country. So I dont understand why you are offended.

Salma   

^^^ It seems you and Bilan got the points wrong.

I said what if someone who was talking about the World's CULTURE, said many good things about some countries and when he reached to Somalia HE ONLY talked about these three points, how would you descripe that? Someone who only saw women wearing black dresses, not driving and beaten by their husbands. Is that a full picture of Somalia?! or at least fair one. Will you agree with him or you'll see it as a narrow-minded vision.

So, when Athena agreed partially with Oprah, I raised the same questions for Somalia, my point was to tell her that nobody will get mad if they said both "the Negative and the positive things in his culture". But certainly, he won't accept to concetrate only on the bad sides which are done by some.

Besides, someone mentioned something related to "Oprah talked about Saudi Arabia and NOT Islam, so why to be offended".

For god sake, give me a break. I see alot of people here would defend and give their glorious comments and feedback about many things not related to their race, people, religion or culture. So why would you care about those people and try to show concern?!

Humanity, RIGHT?!!

plzzz

OG_Girl   

^Zulfa, I understand your point now. I would be offended too if I was in position I can protest. But here I was talking to you not to her . you know the mathal al3arabi "ana wa a5oyah 3ala ebn 3amy , o ana wa a5oyah wa enn 3amy 3alal '3reeb" smile.gif .

3la fekrah 3ajabatny al7oqooq al ensan ..lol Seriously all day along I am recieving reports about humanrights :( .

Salam ya 7elwa smile.gif

Salam

Nephissa   

Why do you people automatically assume there's an attack on Islam when the truth is exposed? :rolleyes:

And why is it Somalis are the 1st to defend Islam, when the rest of the Muslim nations are silent? Ma diintaa ka xigtaan ummadda kale?

Shaqo yeesho, and leave Oprah alone icon_razz.gif

Haddad   

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

This is the comment of the Saudi producer on this issue.

Contrast this part of the comment:

“Oprah is the most respected name in American television. She is known the world over for her open, fair and balanced view on different subjects. Judging from what I have seen on her show, I feel confident that if you can trust anyone in American television, it is Oprah,†I told Rania.

To this one:

Rania and I were used by the Oprah Winfrey Show to paint Saudi Arabia in an unfair and negative light.

The moral of the story is, Oprah Winfrey isn't the rosy picture many African women have painted in their imagination; she's just another opportunist from the Land of Opportunism.