Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

The Failed Somali Community in the UK

Peacenow   

Day after day brings bad news from what the community is upto in the UK. It is almost as if, I'm afraid to open a British newspaper for fear to see of what shocking behaviour they have gotten upto today. Not content with turning the already poor reputation we have, they have gone further and turned it into mud.

Almost daily something is happening, someone killing or being murdered. They say this because there is 'beef' with others.

I cannot understand this. It's like those Somalis in the US who said, they can't allow alchol or touch pork in the shop. I mean how more demented can you get.

I want to get to bottom of it. I think the root of the problem is this false pride. The false pride that makes one easy to start a fight with someone or swagger down in the street.

Understand this, we have no pride left. The country is finished and is under occupation. The state has not a penny to it's name. Millions of children are going hungry.

It is all gone. The dreams of the 70's are gone. The ummah brotherhood is nothing more than a dream. They are laughing at us. It is everyman for himself.

It is imperative therefore that the community focuses in on it's self and understand what has led to this.

I don't know of any community in London, home to 200 nationalities that have turned out the way they have done.

My views on Islam are well clear. I'm a secularist. But at the very least one could expect that it would give them a solid foundation in how to build their community and how they interact with others.

Roll Call of Success-

Somali man spreading Aids to women

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/3826815.stm

The Cop killer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustaf_Jama

The Terrorists

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6284350.stm

I just read that Idi Amins son (!) has been jailed for 5 yrs for his role in a gang-killing of a somali youth in London last year (2006). Advice to Idi Jr: dont drop the soap!

art.idi.son.ap.jpg

Idi Amin's son jailed for London gang attack

The son of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin has been jailed for five years for his part in a violent gang attack in North London.

Faisal Wangita was part of a 40-strong gang that attacked Somalian Mahir Osman, 18, in Camden in January last year.

Osman died within a minute of the brutal attack, in which he was stabbed 20 times, attacked with baseball bats, bottles and hammers, punched and kicked.

Wangita had joined in the attack, kicking the victim on the ground. Blood was found on his trousers.

After a trial at the Old Bailey this year, Wangita, 25, was jailed for five years for conspiracy to wound with intent and violent disorder, but was cleared of murdering Osman.

The jury was not told he was Idi Amin's son because it was felt it would prejudice his case.

His parentage can be disclosed today following another trial and the trial of a 17-year-old youth for Mr Osman's murder.

It is estimated that up to 500,000 people disappeared during Idi Amin's brutal eight-year regime in Uganda, which featured in the film The Last King Of Scotland.

advertisementAmin's secret police force was notorious for torturing and killing Ugandans it believed to be political opponents.

The first police knew about Amin being his father was when it was announced in court by his counsel.

Eight defendants have been convicted of various offences in relation to the attack and three youths were given life sentences in May for murder.

The attack was captured on closed circuit TV cameras and played to the jury during Wangita’s trial at the Old Bailey.

Wangita claimed he was born in November 1981 in Saudi Arabia. But documents showed he was born in February 1983 in Uganda.

He arrived in England some time ago and lived with his mother in a number of London addresses.

The Amin family fled Uganda when Idi Amin was ousted by Tanzanian-backed Ugandan rebels in 1979.

They lived in exile in Saudi Arabia, where many of the family remain. The family was given a huge monthly allowance and in return Idi Amin was asked to remain silent and out of politics. It was a bargain he kept up to his death in 2003, aged 78.

He had 40 officially-recorded children from seven official wives, and nothing is known about Wangita's mother.

Wangita had previous criminal convictions for possessing an offensive weapon and fraud in November 2000, and in May 2002 for threatening behaviour - for which he was given a community rehabilitation order.

He also has convictions for theft and having an offensive weapon in 2006. A pre-sentencing hearing said he posed a "serious risk to the public".

But Wangita's lawyer David Spens QC said his previous convictions "don't establish any pattern of committing any offences of violence".

Judge Stephen Kramer said: "You were seen on the video to take part. You were seen to raise your left leg or foot and bring it down in the area of Mahir Osman on the ground in the road."

The lifting of an order banning the identification of Wangita as Amin's son came after a jury failed to reach a verdict on a 17-year-old youth charged with Mr Osman's murder.

At the teenager's trial, which ended last month, he was found guilty of conspiracy to wound with intent, conspiracy to possess weapons and violent disorder, but jurors could not agree on the allegation of murder.

At a brief Old Bailey hearing today, prosecutors decided not to proceed with the charge, and a Contempt of Court order relating to Wangita's identity was lifted. The youth was remanded in custody to be sentenced next month

Ariadne   

GG: wow!

"After a trial at the Old Bailey this year, Wangita, 25, was jailed for five years for conspiracy to wound with intent and violent disorder, but was cleared of ing Osman."

that makes me soo angry!

Fabregas   

quote:I think the root of the problem is this false pride. The false pride that makes one easy to start a fight with someone or swagger down in the street.

You mean like when ppl say they are the only black person in Milan with a suit?

Chimera   

lol@Ngonge

Immigration and Multiculturalism, Werner F Menski, social scientist

Somali is now the majority home language for children in many London schools, and young Somalis are beginning to come through as university students, following young South Asians along trails that they seem to have blazed a decade or so ago. These new multicultural realities are not only making themselves felt at primary or secondary school level, therefore, they now affect life and work also in universities, where a new generation of the descendants of immigrants are coming up as top students, asking many questions that we never heard before.

Somali Language

Children as young as five should learn Polish, Afghan and even Somali under plans to shake up language learning.

Children of five 'should be taught Somali in schools' By Laura Clark

The Academic Rise of Somali students at the Tower Hamlets College

Somali students are steadily climbing the Academic ladder at Tower Hamletss College with more students than ever taking A-level and vocational courses

Somali_Student_Success

The Changing Face of Ethnic Minority Entrepreneurship in Britain

new minority groups, emerging despite apparently strong immigration controls, are beginning to replace earlier communities in some places. For example in Southall, the heart of London’s Indian Sikh community, both Somali and Afghan enterprises have appeared. The Afghans occupy a number of large shops sub-divided into low-grade micro malls, mainly selling cheap clothing and household goods. The Somali businesses are on the southern fringe of the Southall shopping district; restaurants and cafés are the most prominent types of activities. In the 1980s, the premises currently occupied by Afghans and Somalis mainly accommodated Indian retailers

Abdullahi_Mayorka.jpg

Abdullahi Osman Nur(future Prime minster of UK)with the London mayor Ken Livingston

The scud stud Rageh Omaar

ema_15.jpg

Security code breaker banks top Young Scientist prize

Abdusalam Abubakar may be just sixteen-years-old, but he is the hottest name in Ireland right now. He recently won the BT Young Scientist of the Year 2007 for his grasp of the importance of networked computer security. Now the fear all over Europe is that the Internet commerce may be in for a rough time

x-cover8.jpg

Secure internet communications might not be as secure as we think, according to the BT Young Scientist of the year 2007. His winning project is an attempt to crack the most hacker-proof encryption system in the world, writes Dick Ahlstrom , Science Editor.

Abdusalam Abubakar (16) last night received the top prize in the annual Young Scientist event, taking away a cheque for €5,000. His complex maths project impressed the judges who described as "remarkable" his command and insight into cutting-edge mathematics.

His undoubted success won't be appreciated by those charged with keeping bank details, secure communication lines and internet commerce safe. The third-year student from Synge Street CBS, in Dublin, decided to try and break the mathematical safeguards thrown up to protect sensitive data.

The goal is not to acquire access to ill-gotten gains. Finding new ways to break codes helps to make them more secure by closing off weak points and chinks in the security armour.

Abdusalam is one of the "new Irish", coming here two years ago from Somalia via Kenya. He expressed complete surprise at having won the event, which included 500 research projects completed by more than 1,100 students.

"It was great, unbelievable. I didn't think I was going to win anything. I didn't want to be optimistic," he told The Irish Times last night. Abdusalam, whose name translates into "man of peace", based his initial work on partially successful attacks on the world's most widely-used encryption system, RSA, mounted by two mathematicians. He decided to take the best aspects of both and generalise a new approach, which he believes has the potential to tackle at least some less complex coding systems.

Three students from Maynooth Post Primary School, Co Kildare, Timothy Seebus, Justin Cullinane and Ben Finnegan, won the best group project award. The runner-up individual award went to Ciara Murphy from Beara Community School, Co Cork.

© 2007 The Irish Times

and last but not least

Mo Farah

_42336685_farah.jpg

Oi Braapppp Braaapppppp

Biixi   

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

"Day after day brings bad news from what the community is upto in the UK."

How come you're the only one that sees/gets this "daily bad" news about Somalis in the UK?

"It is almost as if, I'm afraid to open a British newspaper for fear to see of what shocking behaviour they have gotten upto today. Not content with turning the already poor reputation we have, they have gone further and turned it into mud."

We have a poor reputation? Please tells how we got it and who gave it to us. lol

"Almost daily something is happening, someone killing or being murdered. They say this because there is 'beef' with others.

I cannot understand this. It's like those Somalis in the US who said, they can't allow alcohol or touch pork in the shop. I mean how more demented can you get."

So you labeled every criminal Somali...lol Somalis are always the victims in violence incidents involving Somali person. As for the US Somalis

Taxi drivers choosing not to pick up drunk passengers is their right...who want to drive around a whole night a drunk gaal who doesn't know where they live.

"I want to get to bottom of it. I think the root of the problem is this false pride. The false pride that makes one easy to start a fight with someone or swagger down in the street."

Somalis are very proud people and always stand up for upholding their dignity and will go toe to toe against any body. It is not false pride my friend it is called self respect..."I may be a refugee in your country but you'll still show me proper respect" We Somalis are simply the SHIT excuse my french.

"Understand this, we have no pride left."

Don't know what tree you fall from but WE have more pride than anyone on this planet, that is why we've been in civil war for the past twenty years where have you been?

"The country is finished and is under occupation."

Who is occupying London ? lol

"It is imperative therefore that the community focuses in on it's self and understand what has led to this."

It is imperative that you should look for some mental help, 'cause you suffering from major major self-image issues

"My views on Islam are well clear. I'm a secularist."

Do you understand what this means -- lol

"

Roll Call of Success-

Somali man spreading Aids to women

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/3826815.stm

The Cop killer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustaf_Jama

The Terrorists

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6284350.stm

"

First story is from 2004 and now is 2007. If Somalis in London have only three negative stories since we're doing pretty good. I wonder have crimes did non-Somalis commit for the past three years.....

PEACE NOW the SH$T you write about Somalis is pathetic man get some help!

Dhubad.   

^^Thanks Dhulqarnayn for posting those success stories that PeaceNow ignores all the time.

Somalis are the most low abiding citizens in the UK, we do have some awful

youths who pretend to be gangsters and cause problems some times but that we share with every other communities in the UK, so I don't see the logic of labelling the whole community as trouble makers.

Aaliyyah   

Peacenow please do clarify your following qoute, I want to know exactly what people getting murdered or killed in the uk has to do with somalis in the US who said they couldnt touch pork or allow alcohol ???

Almost daily something is happening, someone killing or being murdered. They say this because there is 'beef' with others.

I cannot understand this. It's like those Somalis in the US who said, they can't allow alchol or touch pork in the shop. I mean how more demented can you get.

They are laughing at us..

is it me or do u have some sort of issues, u are always pointing at some ethnicity and going oh they are laughing at us, the other day it was arabs laughing at somali men for calling themselves ABDIS, n NOW IT Is the british.......can u for once like forget what others think of u and rather focus on how to help your people, after all your are somali yourself.

No need to generalize and go oh somalis are that and be so darn negetive. I honestly dnt mind if u go this is whats happening to our community, we are not achieving much, and we need to change. But, honestly stop being so negetive and stop hating your people, as somalis we are going through transitional period, we are adjusting into new way of life, I think we have achieved so much. But, there are still lota things that need improvement, with Allahs help we will get there. However, we dont need ppl like u who all they do is point out the communities failure, and not even bother to offer suggestions or solutions.