Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Is this beginning of Somali deportations?

That may very well be so Shaqsii. Deportation is becoming a reality.

One of my cousins started saving up money incase he is returned from London. He wants to be seen as the "big bad boy from London" when he goes to Hargeisa. :D

LANDER   

I wonder what all these deportations will do to the internal security of Somaliland, already there has been another incident with the german NGO worker killed. An influx of people who are not native or known to dwell the area could lead to instability.

Libaax what is your take on this?

A$$ All

Without accusing anyone of anything (and ain't shy at all, just like to fight, if i have to, like a man), isn't this thing (rumour that Riyaale is here to consult with the Brits the possibility of somalis being returned to SLand, since it is peaceful place) a short-sighted view? Keeping in mind that Somalis in the West are the backbone, and basically the life of people in Somalia economically. Isn't it basically short-change(ing) for people's livelihood for your own interest?

p.s. I was expecting more from MEN (women) who've managed to bring stability and order to a part of Maali-land.

Fyr   

I heard that some ONLF guys were caught by the Somaliland Police Force, for the incident with the german NGO workers.

Is it true?

N.O.R.F   

Many asylum seeking somalis can be deported if S/land is recognised. With he constant media here in the UK wanting the asylum seekers out, this may be abit of a triumph for Blunkett and crew. I myself will be on the 1st plane outta here if S/kand is recognised, always thought that S/land passport i obtained in 2000 may come into 'real' use. :D

^^ Why wait for recognition? I wouldnt mind if they deported u now. icon_razz.gif

Except for the influx of Euro-Somalis into the UK and a few others brought in on sponsorships and family re-unions, the majority of Somalis are either British Citizens or hold full refugee-status and are long-term residents. I'm not too familiar with the legalities of the UN refugee convention, but I dont think the govt can deport that many.

I dont mind if they deport the Euros tho, they are clogging up the system for those who really need Asylum (i.e. those still in African refugee camps). Plus, they can just go back to the countries, whose citizenships they hold. :rolleyes:

As for Somaliland, a lot of ppl already went back a long time ago. Others are saving up to go back permanently in the near future and the rest havent given it much thought other than short holidays.

Geel-Jire,

Yes, Somaliland (and the rest of Somalia) rely almost wholly on remittances from the diaspora, however, economically speaking, sending ppl back to their country isnt a negative prospect. Far from it actually. Just think how much resources, skills, technology and know-how will be taken back along with the ppl. This will benefit and add to already booming private sectors. As you know, Somalis are naturally endowed with great entrepreneurial spirit, and this may be the best way to limit the over-reliance on remittances.

Lander:

An influx of people who are not native or known to dwell the area could lead to instability.

And such fears will also lead to instability. There's no need to assume an influx of new repatriates will have a negative impact on SL. Just the opposite actually. Those in the diaspora who go back are probably tired of life in the west and in most likelihood, would be looking for a change of lifestyle, a peaceful and laidback life and better acquaintance with their family/clan/tribe/nation. I also dont doubt they would want to help their country develop and prosper. It would be wrong to assume anything more sinster.

Plus, havent you heard? Variety is the spice of life! ;)

N.O.R.F   

^^ Why wait for recognition? I wouldnt mind if they deported u now.

loool, wanna get rid of me ey? gormaad isaniftey?

king_450   

I don't see anything wrong ,when one is deported to their origins,if Somaliland is safe and prosperious,then i blv every Lander should go back ,if you are not doing anything worth while in Western society, or making a decent contribution to the society you are in,that also goes to Puntlanders etc and any other landers want be.

LANDER   

lol DnD you don't wanna make the queen mad

Originally posted by LANDER:

An influx of people who are not native or known to dwell the area could lead to instability.

DnD

sis I think you misunderstood me, by people not native to Somaliland I didn't mean Somalilanders or the diaspora like yourself. Rather I mean't the other non-somalilanders that they are proposing to send to the region. I'm pretty sure thats what the british government is negotiating, setting up refugee camps for all somalis who are rejected asylum in the UK.

Originally posted by Lander:

Lander, sxb, instability is always a possibility considering our recent tribal conflicts and the current political situation in the horn.

But one must be very careful not to portray Somaliland as a state not welcoming other law abiding Somalis merely because of their clan affilition. It truely sends the wrong message which would only re-inforce the perception by some that Somaliland is a state that still upholds tribal privileges despite its recent advances in direct local democracy.