Sign in to follow this  
Krupt33

SOMALIS ON STRIKE

Could it be something related to religion? such as iftar, Salad or hijab?

Could it be related to working conditions?

What is it related to?....Can the Solers from MN update us or provide more info?

Why are the Solers from MN quiet? while other Solers from other parts of the world are screaming for their support??

Too many unanswered q's?

I am with Ngonge on this... Much Ado about Nothing

Salamaat

PS hope to hear more info about this

KK, and Legend, why should they question what they are supporting, as long as it has "somali" somewhere in it.

yeah! so now yall think u is WESTERNERS, cuz u know how to buy a big mac, watch opera and follow wasteful live basket, baseball or football game!

The bigger question you should be asking yourself is, what have you done for somali people lately?

Did you lend a hand to caasho from 4 blocks away , did you help her fill that application she is been asking you to fill because she doesn't understand the language? Or showed her how to use her bank card, or did you take time off, just so you can ran errands for her, or go to the doctor with her and her child because she wants you to translate?

Did you make food for the local masjid on the weekends, and share it with those devoted somali muslims who attend the masjid regularly?

Matter of fact, did you give away your clothes(such as coats) from two seasons ago to the somali new comers??

and you have the nerve to ask

so what have u done lately! but add more kaka to our gene pool!!

Unlike you, I have done all the above I just mentioned,but do I go around shouting my lungs out @ how proud and loyal I am to strangers from different country who happen to be striking for their own personal cause, which I know nothing about? (who is the laughing stock now, who hasn't done absolutely nothing)

Getting back to

I think those who are relactant to support other Somalis, or other Muslims in that matter, are in their teenage years. Maybe we should wait till when they grow abit older. It maybe a certain phase that they are going through. That is what I thought.

I have heard all this before from your fellow brothers, infact they are spread all over this forum. I did expect just the same, maybe even more from a typical somali commoner like yourself, because you have nothing more to add to this, and neither did they.(Continue to shout out your somalinimo, and see who really cares, because I sure don't)

STOIC   

The argument for the somalinimo squad.

1. If somalis walk out of their job,it is the responsibility of all the somalis wherever they may reside to support them.

2 .somalis walked of their jobs.

3.Every somali MUST support them.

The other side of the argument.

1.If somalis strike, We don't have to support them always.

2.Somalis striked

3.We dont have to support them.

I think every side has a sound argument.

so what part u dont understand about my somalinimo! remember its u who is the odd one out

and not me! here is my list dear!!

-contribute to 3 different unies--$100.00ea per/yr.

-ship computer parts, papers, used clothes.

-helped 2 sistas who were homeless find a place to live (their own apt). thanks allah, both r working and taking care of themselves! who do u think paid thier deposite, rent & utilities! santa clause! noooooo!

it aint much, but every lil hand goes a long way sista! u ce la a big town and it can swallow someone like a quick sand! here, we have to look for each other w/o asking whats you qaabil!

u see a somali, u day lights up like a million sun shines!! right away, you mind goes to a lil cozy place, like ppl laughing eating bariis,namean, it brings all the joy of home!! weey! if u cant feel that! then, u must be high with something else!! peace!

when i say ce ya, i sure will give u a big hug!!lol and tellya, hey, this one for the good ole country!! :D

Xoogsade   

Anytime you guys want to find out a news about Somalis in Minnesota, Visit http://www.startribune.com and either search(if what you are looking for is few days/months old) or go through the headlines to read about what you wanted to read.

Here is the whole story about the strike: About job security/religious issues/disrespect and etc. Read it for yourself.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5060157.html

Ngonge/Raami

The lady doth protest lol, Hey saxib, that is funny. And I wonder what Raami stands for? I thought NGONGE was a little odd but this one even sounds Odder lol :D

may be alot of yall r still in schools and dont understand the concept of striking! its a basic fundumental right of democracy!

u see bunch of ppl dont just wake up one morning and join together for the fun it of to do a strike! its the ultimate last step. after all, u dealing with your daily bread!

so plz folks, do dizz just for the heck of it without any reason, but respect their decision!!

its their last draw!!

Senora   

Rudy, this is the first time, I've not only grasped what you've said, but i got the point of it as well....( no offense, but you know how silly you can get..)

Anyways, i agree wholeheartedly...

and might I add that, you didnt need to state to anyone what you've done for Somali's lately, thats none of anyone's business, and you need not anyone's approval from it....( sad how you assume someone isn't as generous as you when it comes to helping your fellow Somalis')

Thank you Xoogsade! I did a search the other day on Google and couldn't find anything.

Whoever asked if it's a full moon....yes, it is! We're half way through Ramadan, people. Am loving the show of support. Why have most assumed that Somalis would take something like this lightly and not have thought it through? Come on, that many people will not risk their livelihoods easily! Why don't we have more faith in our abilities as Somalis? Why must we hear all the gory details? 100 people brashly walking out in Ramadan, does that sound like the behaviour of a fasting people? And is it so hard to believe that they were well-informed and prepared for this eventuality?

They don't need our support frankly. 100 people and their extended family will translate into hundreds of people who will support them because they are family if nothing else. Nothing else is what most of the rest of us will give. Support seems to be of the gung-ho whatever-has-the-word-Somali-in-it variety while those that don't support claim a desire to know more.

Now, u know. Gung-ho types, has your support increased? Unsupportive types, what has changed? Are the people suffering to your satisfaction or do u still need more convincing?

I'm saddened. Has Ramadan not softened your hearts? If they were Palestinians would you have reacted differently? Why can't we be kind to us, for God's sake? Nobody else is rushing to our aid and we're taking some analytical high ground or some emotional higher ground.

Why can't we be compassionate without making judgements and seeking conviction? And why must we be emotional suckers in the name of nationalism? Where's the middle ground?

**sigh**

I wish them well. We don't stand up collectively as a people enough. Bravo! Allah macakum.

Thanks Xoogsade... You made the whole saga simple by posting the Link...

Why didnt anyone of the support group posted this link before attackin those who questioned the strike. I am not including those who said " it doesnt concern me" that was just silly.

You wonder!!!

Salaamaat

Rokko   

Here's what took place for those of you who have no idea why our bro/sis did the strike..enjoy

Somalis, claiming discrimination, walk off job at phone company

Associated Press

CHANHASSEN, Minn. - Several Somalis walked off their jobs at a cell phone company here to protest alleged ethnic slurs, religious insensitivity and hiring discrimination.

About 100 Somalis protested outside Teleplan Wireless Co. on Friday. Almost twice that number reportedly walked off their jobs Monday, though some have returned to work. The rest rejected a company offer to settle on Wednesday and said they will begin to consider contacting labor unions this weekend.

The company, which assembles and refurbishes cell phones, released a statement Friday denying any discrimination.

Abdilatif Osman, a tech assistant at Teleplan, said the trouble started a week ago. He and a co-worker complained that the company hired several white people instead of converting some Somalis from temporary to permanent status who'd been there for years. Permanent jobs bring health benefits and sometimes raises beyond the typical temp salary of $10 an hour.

When the two came back to work Monday, they were ordered to get into a company van. That frightened them, and that's what provoked the walkout, Osman said.

Aden Owoowe, a tech assistant at the company, said about 10 percent of the first shift and 80 percent of the second shift at Chanhassen is Somali. The site has about 700 employees.

He said managers have insulted Somalis, telling them that if they don't do a good job, the men will find themselves stuck working at car washes and the women at saloons, Owoowe said.

A few months ago, said Omar Jamal, director of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center, workers came to him complaining that a manager had called them "terrorist sympathizers" and told them, "You don't belong is this country."

He met with company officials, he said, and later was told that the manager was fired.

Another complaint involves accommodating Muslim prayer needs, Jamal said. Workers must pass through a security check on the way to and from the prayer room and, especially on the second shift, their 15-minute work break isn't long enough to allow everyone to get through.

The statement from Teleplan said the company has no record of any complaint filed about a manager slurring Somali workers. It said the company has no policy of converting temporary workers to permanent status based on the number of hours worked. It denies any discrimination, saying that most of the workers who are converted are of some minority group.

The company said the policy that everyone must pass through the security point when they leave the production floor is a standard precaution expected by their customers.

Attorney Peter Erlinder, a consultant with the Somali center, said the company settlement promised no retaliation against the workers, offered them pay for one of the three days off work and agreed to the group's request to divide the prayer room by gender.

At a meeting, the workers rejected the offer because it didn't resolve the hiring conflict.

---

dawoco   

Xoogsade, thnx for posting that link, i couldn't read the other one and didn't know what everyone was fighting about.

It is harsh, being a foreigner. if we were in our own country we wouldn't put up with half the things we have to in these countries. It is usually the parents that realise the difference between how we were treated back home and how we are treated now.

Most of us we have become too used to these systems. We don't see that it's better to be a poor citizen rather than a rich and unwanted refugee.

I hope to god that the workers win their cause, they seem to have legitimed reasons for striking.

May Allah grant them what they rightfully deserve, amiin.