Sign in to follow this  
underdog

Camel math

underdog   

I know we have some mathematical wizards in here:

here something to ponder.

The distance between Cairo and Damascus is 1000 miles. Your mission is to move a 10,000 kilograms load of grass from Cairo to Damascus using your camel, but you have two problems:

1) The camel won't budge unless you let it to continuously chew grass - it consumes 1 kilogram of grass per mile.

2)The camel's maximum load is 1000 kilograms.

- Can you manage to get ANY of the grass to Damascus?

- What is the maximum amount of grass that you can get there?

First person to answer it correctly gets a pat on the back.

nuune   

first i take 1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 250 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 500kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance-------------------

second time return, i take 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on the return way,

----------------- I got 1000kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance-------------------

third time return, i take 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on its return

----------------- I got 1500kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance------------------

fourth time return, i take 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on the way back

----------------- I got 2000kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance-------------------

fifth time return, i take 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on its return

----------------- I got 2500kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance-------------------

sixth time return, i take 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on its return

----------------- I got 3000kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance-------------------

seventh time, i take 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on its return

----------------- I got 3500kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance-------------------

eighth tim return, i take 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on its return

----------------- I got 4000kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance -------------------

nineth time return, i take last remining 1000kg of grass then will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on its return

----------------- I got 4500kg of grass here on the 250 mile distance-------------------

tenth time, i take the last remining 1000kg of grass then I will come to the 250 mile distance, here i put 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250 on the way and it will eat 250 on its return

----------------- I got 5000kg of grass here at 250miles of distance-------------------

now from 250 mile,

I take 1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 500 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 500kg of grass here-------------------

return to 250mile, take 1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 500 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 1000kg of grass here-------------------

return third time, take 1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 500 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 1500kg of grass here-------------------

return fourth time,take 1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 500 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 2000kg of grass here-------------------

return fifth time, take the last1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 500 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 2500kg of grass here at 500miles of distance-------------------

now from 500mile,

take 1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 750 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 500kg of grass here -------------------

return to 500mile, take 1000kg of grass and reach a distance of 750 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now i go back with remaining 250kg of grass so the camel will eat it,

----------------- I got 1000kg of grass here-------------------

return to 500mile, take the last 500kg of grass and reach a distance of 750 miles, i put down 500kg of grass, the camel ate 250kg of grass on the way, now no need to go back, so I save 250kg of grass

----------------- I got 1250kg of grass here at 750miles of distance-------------------

now from 750miles of distance to my final destination Damascus which is 1,000

I put 625kg of grass onto the camel, and I head off to Damascus, the camel ate 250 on the way and on return 250, remining 125 is kept in damascus, the last 625 I took and came to damascus again with 375 plus my earlier 125 which is 500kg of grass.

The answerr is 500kg of grass

That is how I did it anyway, my engliiish is nuuut guuut, sorryyyyyyyyyyyy

ps: that is the longest answer I have ever given, damn it, am so tired now :mad:

OG_Girl   

^^ Nice try nuune. but I think you missing some thing smile.gif

The key word is :The camel won't budge unless you let it to continuously chew grass

So my answer will be :

-Can you manage to get ANY of the grass to Damascus?

You will load 1000 kg...till half way ----you will put 500kgm of grass and back with out nothing!Then back and load another 1000kg of grass again you repeat it 10 times, each time you put 500kgs left half way .....

-- What is the maximum amount of grass that you can get there?

The answer is maximum amount of grass will be 2500kg of grass to Damascus.

Salam

shyhem   

ps: that is the longest answer I have ever given, damn it, am so tired now

You're damn right Nuune.I'm now more confused than a monkey in a donkey cart.

As for the equation, i don't know anything about camels, but load the grass on a refrigerited Freightliner FLD and you will deliver the grass in Damascus in 18 hours.

underdog   

Haddad,

you sound like you're on the right track...elaborate.

Nuune,

Did you take into consideration you only had 10,000 KGs to work with? I got lost going through your answer but you have exceeded the total amount of grass

Khayr   

Salaamz,

In order to do the 'Camel Math' more information is required

1) What time period are we talking> 2005 A.D. or 1800 A.D. etc.?

2) There are international borders and you will have to through the laaand of Yahuud to get there

which you can forget about camel or no camel.

So do we get clearance from ALL THE Countries on the travelling route by land or sea?

3) Can you put the camel in a ship?

If by ship from Alexandria to Tartus port in Syriaa is a possibility?

The distance between Cairo and Damascus is 1000 miles. Your mission is to move a 10,000 kilograms load of grass from Cairo
to Damascus using your camel
, but you have two problems:

Underdog, you did not say 'only using your camel' but rather 'using your camel' which could mean that other 'travel accomodations' can be provided for the camel-Right?

Underdog, your assistance would be appreciated ;)

Fi Amanillah

underdog   

Khayr

If you wanna get technical about things....It's 1762 BC and Hammurabi and the Babylonians have just finished kicking Shamsi-Adad's butt up and down the desert and have taken over Assyria.... so there's no refrigirated Heavy duty Benz Actros to carry you and your camel and the grass. There's no oasis with a Fed-ex pick-up location that delivers next business day :D

Yes, u can get some grass to Damascus.

1. Load the camel with 1000kg of grass

2. Feed the camel it's first mouthful(from the left behind 9000kg)

3. The camel will consume a total of 1000kg during the journey

4. On reaching Damascus you will be left with an amount equivalent to the first mouthful the camel took in order to start moving.

Sincere   

It said nothing of coming back or a return trip ......heck your in damascus why would anyone wanna come back smile.gif

So is shehe's answer the right one, i got tired of trying to figure this out.

Arwa   

Originally posted by Haddad:

Even the longest journey starts with one little step.

cut the distance in more parts?

underdog   

Nuune,Haddad and 3abeer Elward together get the right answer.

Use nunune's theory but instead of 4 legs:

0km - 250km

250km - 500km

500km - 750km

750km - 1000km

The lower you break down the distance and increase the trips, the more grass you'll get to Damascus.

Nuune was the only one who actually came up with a number. How are the other two right without solving it? Having said that since there was no mention of a return journey, Nuune's final answer is wrong too.

Maths is an exact science and if u want the right answer u have to ask the right question.