Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

The best league resumes on.....

--------------Watch action live on British Eurosport--------

Followers of Italian football can expect to see even more of their favourite teams and star players on television this season as British Eurosport enter the second year of their contract to cover the world’s best League. Having taken over from Channel 4 as surprise hosts in the middle of last season, they’ve spent this summer hardening up plans for even more comprehensive coverage this time around. It means a minimum of two live matches per weekend, extended highlights plus a possible preview show.

"We’ll have a full studio presentation around the best game of the week," explains Sports Editor Richard Copeman. "We’re delighted that James Richardson, regarded as the face of Italian football on British screens for the past decade, will host this. There’ll also be live action from a second game every weekend. In addition, we are introducing a new 30-minute highlights programme set to be aired at 7pm on Mondays then repeated throughout the week. There’s also the strong likelihood of a Friday night preview slot once we get into the season.

"We’ll be having email interaction on the shows with James and guests ... emails to be sent to seriea@eurosport.co.uk The best ones will be read out on air and answered with a prize for best." And it’s not only viewers who get their names on the show. "Plans are in hand for some of Serie A’s biggest names to appear in special interviews ahead of key games for their clubs," reveals Copeman.

Dave Farrar and John Roder will be the regular commentators. Current favourite Bryan Hamilton will be alongside them, adding his enthusiastic and informed comments to every game. Regular studio guests will include ex-Chelsea hero Roberto di Matteo, who played his Italian football at Lazio, ex-Pisa defender Paul Elliott and a new team member, former England defender Tony Dorigo who had a short spell with Torino. Gabrielle Marcotti and Filippo Maria Ricci, top Italian sports journalists based in England, will be along to add their different viewpoint some weekends along with other surprise guests.

Coverage kicks off on August 31 with Bologna v Parma live at 7.25pm. "Viewers will still get to see the whole 90 minutes and James will also front a studio show that night with the full cast to set up the entire season," says Copeman.

British Eurosport TV times

Saturdays Live:

Sundays Live:

(1.30 – 4pm or 7– 9.30pm depending on choice of matches)

Mondays Highlights: 7-7.30pm

Friday Preview: To be announced

Kick-off : Sunday, Aug 31 – Bologna v Parma live (19.25 UK time)

Lefty   

I heard there will be boycott from Seria B teams and maybe Seria A as well.

did they clear things out ?

I heard that they have managed to sort things out now lefty, and the start of the league wont be delayed........@ list i hope so.

So far the premiership matchers have just made me feel like an addict in remission on cheaper drugs :( ......i need the real stuff ((pulls sleeve up to elbow)) :mad: give me some Calcio plzzzz

Lefty   

LOL@shuju

Don't worry, the real Calcio will start very soon and things will take care themselves from there.

MY bet is on INTER MILAN..what about yours ??

I have quite confidence in my Roma team, the emphasis will be more on the youth now and i think you will see some new faces make a mark.

Look out for Mancini (Cafu replacement) Agostino (new totti) and Danile de rossi (Medfield master). A forth place finish would be great for Roma

But for the title? who knows thats the beauty of Seria A. I will say it will be between Juve Milan Inter and Lazio, but if u really push me i will say between Inter and Milan.

I think Juve will desparetly try to win the Champions league this year and that might perhaps hinder there domestic performance

Baaniyal   

Switching from the premiership to Seria A is like switching from F1 driving to watch Golf. I think the seria A would have been fun to watch if maybe the fans were allowed to be closer to the field ala the english league. But i guess they can't do that cause the grease heads luv those fire crackers and flare guns. Anyways am going for Lazio to win the scudetto,and maybe Roma to suprise people with a fourth place finish. How do you guys rate Fabio Liverani ,i think he's crap. ALways looks to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it.

Your Analogue is not such a hard pill to swallow saxiib.

I have indeed tired of watching ppl running around like there on speed or something, i'd much rather prefer watchin a much slower settled and well thoughted game of football rather than the fast paced all out war that is the premiership.

seria A the best league in soccer, thats hard to swollow home boi. all things considered n without any bias, La Liga should be top.

one thing i dont understand is how do the italians keep winning, its an anomaly

Think_Tank i suppose i have come to understan that in this day an age people just want to see entertaining football i.e. end to end, pacy football.

And la Liga certainly tops that category with the premiership second.

Indeed i watched yesturday the Real Madrid and Betis game and it was box to box great shots skills and any team could have scored " any time.

However saxiib thats not great football. Graet football is like a great chess match. A team has to be able to defend as well as attack, and it is all about picking defences and scoring then defending well.

Thats why i love Italian football because its very hard to score goals, that when teams score its usual a great goal.

Real madrid certainly bost the most attacking and refreashing team going forward but to be honest they have a conference defence thats why the got whacked by Juve in the second leg and thats why the italians did so well last year. They got back to there bread and butter football of Scoring and then defending well.

Thats wy so may la liga stars where found wanting in Seria i.e. Kulivert, Mendiata, Lopez, Gaurdiola and so many many more.

Lets here more from Romas new signing John Crew:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Carew convinced by Totti Sunday 31 August, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma’s new signing John Carew claims that the chance of playing alongside Francesco Totti convinced him to pick the Capital club.

“I am very happy and it hardly seems true yet,” revealed the former Valencia striker. “This is a dream come true and to play in the world’s most prestigious League is like a diploma in football.”

The giant Norwegian has joined the Giallorossi on a one-year loan deal with the option to buy outright at the end of the season for £5m.

“I cannot wait to play alongside Totti. Together with the captain we will make Roma great and it is an honour to share the field with him.”

Totti already made quite an impression on Carew when he led his team to a 3-0 Champions’ League victory in Valencia last season.

“What he did at the Mestalla was simply incredible,” continued the former Liga star. “Totti practically won that game by himself and did the same thing at the Bernabeu with Real Madrid.”

Roma need a good season to erase the memories of a campaign that saw them finish eighth in Serie A.

“We will try to win a lot for these fans,” said the 23-year-old. “I am young and have scored plenty of goals, but don’t have too many trophies to my name.”

N.O.R.F   

looool, u guys r jokers walahi, gr8 analysis of the different leagues.

The prem has been crap so far, no big games except for the pool vs chelski. The prem is fast and furious and i'm even like whoa sometimes u see a team winning 1-0 with 10 mins and they still taking risks and flying up the pitch like they need another or they will die. Thats just ****** . La Liga is gr8, nuff said. Seria A, nice alternative and is a thinking mans game, any wannabe coaches can learn alot from the Italian game.

ps shujul see that header nakata missed, maan i could ave done better with my eyes shut! Still rate that player tho, surprised he aint playin for a bigger team....like liva!

Yeah man Hideo is top Class but i think from what i saw that parma team will do well again despite selling Mutu, and with an average age of just 21 i think they are the future Italian Football.

I must say i think most people consider La Liga to be best the league in the world, but thats simple because of the attacking football. Fair enough, am bigg enough to admit the season opener Real Madrid v Rea betis was throughly entertaining.

But to be honest there was no defending from either ream so what do you expect??

So dont you think the problem lies there, soccer n chess do not compare. soccer is a game of heart skill and a lot luck. no luck involved in chess. if seria A was so great and their method of soccer was supreme dont u think it would meant more international trophies for them. Italians r too defensive, n defense doesnt win u games.

I begg to differ saxiib i think if you look @ the last decade and indeed the history of football you will find Italian football has dominated, and taken more than its fair share of success.

on a club Level:

Milan have 6 European Cup Truimps, and too much super cups and uefa cups and world club cups

Juve have 2 European Cups and have made three success finals in a ro in the mid 90's the only team ever to have done that. They have competed in 4 finals in the last 15 years. I dont even wanna try to work out how many uefa cups and the rest of the otehr they have one.

Then there is Lazio and Parma an inter who have all won the uefa cup and cup winners cup in the 90's

and it goes on and on.

If you look @ the international stage well i think you would have to back off and hold your hands up and Not even dare to try to compare Engalnd or indeed Spain to Italy.

Italia i belive have won 3 world Cups, they have in total played in 5 World Finals i think. They with germany are easily the best teams in europe if you gho by history. And they where unlucky to have lost out to a lucky, Zizou Inspired French in Euro 2000 where they where the best team.

we went on to prove my point, whenever an italian team adopted an attacking mentality they have done very well, case in point the 1982 world cup, having lived in italy i cant tell you, they still tryin to duplicate that. as for milan in the late 80's n early 90's, i dont have to tell you, the three dutchmen in attack n baresi in defence thats a deadly compintation. Lazio n parma dont play like the usual italian teams.

to conclude am let you reflect on this question

why does brazil keep winning?