Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

The funny news of the day!

STOIC   

^^^^This will even make you more proud,In Britain, the average I.Q. has risen by 27 points since 1942. In the USA, there is an increase of 24 points since 1918. Oops! You may feel bad that we are not getting smarter as fast as they are. Take heart. In 1932, the average I.Q. in the USA was 100. Today, on the same school, the average is 112. average IQ

I think now i made you more proud :D .Lets roll to the news of the day.A study of elementary school students found that children who had television sets in their bedrooms scored significantly lower on school achievement tests than children without TVs in their bedrooms. Having a computer in the home was associated with higher test scores, according to the same study, which was conducted by researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Stanford University. The study is published in the July 4, 2005, edition of the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. Television in the bedroom may hurt child's perfomance at school

PS.Libaan i wonder what excuse they will come up with for their blacken teeth!.Ewww.

STOIC   

london4hh.png

My prayers are with all the families and freinds affected by this tragedy!

PS.SomaInc, Warya PM me and let me know how all the family is doing!

STOIC   

July 2005

I SHOULD ACT MY AGE

Shame of Bush after crashing bike into cop

By Oonagh Blackman

PRANG-PRONE George Bush said it was time he grew up after cycling into a policeman - on his 59th birthday.

The US president's latest mishap came on his mountain bike outside the G8 venue.

Mr Bush, left with cuts to an arm and hand, showed off grazed fingers to reporters and grinned: "It goes to show I should act my age."

The officer had a check-up and returned to duty at the Gleneagles Hotel after Wednesday's accident.

Advertisement

Mr Bush compared his slip to US Tour de France competitor David Zabriskie who crashed in the final moments of Tuesday's stage but admitted "he's a better rider".The president blamed a rigorous work-out and the damp conditions as he appeared at an early press call with Tony Blair.

He said: "When you ride a mountain bike, sometimes you fall, otherwise you are not riding hard. The pavement was slick and the bike came off underneath me."

His concern, he said, was for the Strathclyde officer adding: "I talked to him. He is doing fine."

In May last year Mr Bush crashed his bike on his ranch. In 2002, he famously fainted and toppled off his sofa in the White House when he choked on a pretzel and in June 2003, he fell off a scooter at his estate in Maine.

Sources

STOIC   

So Karl Rove is the man who exposed Mrs Wilson CIA role!.Aha!, this will be the greatest showdown for Bush Adminstration.Will Bush be a man of his word and fire Karl Rove?..or will he make excuses for mr Rove?.For those of you who are not aware of the story.Karl Rove is a senior Bush advisor who has been in the suspect list of those who leaked the information of a CIA undercover!.It is a treason to unmask a covert CIA agents.You may remember the build up of Iraqi invasion plan Bush accused Saddam of getting uranium from Africa!.Well mr Wilson(the CIA agent husband)published an Op-Ed article in the Times accusing Bush of misleading the public.Someone in Bush adminstration unmasked Mr Wilson's wife identity in revenge.Bush assured us he will fire any one involved in the leaking the name of the undercover CIA officer.This is interesting, will Bush be a man of principle and stick to his gun -fire mr Rove?..........interesting drama unfolding stay tuned .......

Pujah   

So who is Karl Rove exactly, he is the only man capable of being major politcal figure advicing on several siting presidents and teaching graduate school all without completing college himself.

------------------------

"I have no interest whatsoever in being in Washington DC. I'm happy right here." --Karl Rove, when asked if he will head for the White House if Phil Gramm, the candidate he handled in 1996, wins the presidency.

Best known for: George W. Bush's chief strategist. Consultant to U.S. Senators Phil Gramm, Kay Bailey Hutchison and many other right-wing politicians.

Born: December 25, 1950 in Denver, and grew up in Colorado, Utah and Nevada.

Family: His father was a geologist. At age nine, Rove became a faithful Republican when he backed Richard Nixon against John Kennedy.

Education: Attended nearly half a dozen colleges without getting a degree.

Profession: Teaches graduate students at the University of Texas.

Career: In the years of the Watergage scandal, Rove's career as a big-time political handler began with a motley crew of friends and associates. He was chairman of the College Republicans when George Herbert Walker Bush was chairman of the state Republican Party in 1973. He won the presidency of the College Republicans in a race against Terry Dolan. The late Lee Atwater, who later became famous as the political attack dog for the Reagan-Bush team, managed Rove's campaign. Dolan went on to become a Soft Money pioneer by helping form the National Conservative Political Action Committee, then died of AIDS in 1986 at age 36. Dolan's advisers in his loss to Rove were Charlie Black, Paul Manafort and Roger Stone. Those three were later instrumental in the success of Ronald Reagan's 1984 campaign. Read onurce

STOIC   

^^^I hope Bush fires that bedwetting conservative jerk!

This is for the working crew, is your boss a psychopath? Psychopaths exist in the workplace. Ever worked with a seeminly smooth, yet strangely cold, callus person? You may have been working with a psychopath. Under certain circumstances in business, psychopaths can become very successful.

Fast Company had some interesting information on these co-workers that you should probably avoid if at all possible.

"Psychopaths have a profound lack of empathy. They use other people callously and remorselessly for their own ends. They seduce victims with a hypnotic charm that masks their true nature as pathological liars, master con artists, and heartless manipulators. Easily bored, they crave constant stimulation, so they seek thrills from real-life "games" they can win -- and take pleasure from their power over other people."

"But how can we recognize psychopathic types? Hare has revised his Psychopathy Checklist (known as the PCL-R, or simply "the Hare") to make it easier to identify so-called subcriminal or corporate psychopaths. He has broken down the 20 personality characteristics into two subsets, or "factors." Corporate psychopaths score high on

Factor 1, the "selfish, callous, and remorseless use of others" category. It includes eight traits: glibness and superficial charm; grandiose sense of self-worth; pathological lying; conning and manipulativeness; lack of remorse or guilt; shallow affect (i.e., a coldness covered up by dramatic emotional displays that are actually playacting); callousness and lack of empathy; and the failure to accept responsibility for one's own actions. Sound like anyone you know? (Corporate psychopaths score only low to moderate on Factor 2, which pinpoints "chronically unstable, antisocial, and socially deviant lifestyle," the hallmarks of people who wind up in jail for rougher crimes than creative accounting.) "

Is your Boss a psychopath?

Do you work with a psychopath?

STOIC   

Many women whose tenacity was beyond beleive are now opting to be stay home moms.These women always acomplished their jobs with great eclat!.Many have respected the profundity of their thoughts-they attended the best Ivy league schools.Now they are facing their home making roles with exuberance.I have tried to explained in the women section that it is the spouses choices to make a decision on their life!.This story that i am about to post proves that women can be succesful and at the same time be a stay home moms!.

(CBS) Look around these days, and you'll find women in positions of real power: a woman at the helm of the National Security Council, two Supreme Court justices, and female board members of every Fortune 100 company.

It's just as it was supposed to be 40 years after women got in the front door.

But look for the women of the next generation -- the ones everyone assumed would follow in droves behind them, and you're likely to find many of them walking right back out and staying at home.

Lisa Beattie Frelinghuysen was on her way to the very top of the legal profession. At Stanford Law School, she was president of the law review. She went to work for a top law firm, and she clerked at the Supreme Court for Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

But after she had her first baby seven years ago, she left, and never went back. Correspondent Lesley Stahl reports on this story that aired last October.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know myself, and I know that when I'm working at something, I work hard. When I was at the law review, I was working until midnight every night. And my husband started a surgical residency where he was completely unavailable," recalls Frelinghuysen.

"I was afraid that if I was working, there would be no parent there with the children. And I wanted to experience getting to know my children, being there in a consistent way."

She's hardly alone. Every Wednesday morning, a church in suburban Maryland is filled with professional women who have chosen to step out of the full-time work force to spend time raising children. They have organized a lecture series for intellectual stimulation.

Tori Hall, a former analyst with the Congressional Budget Office, and Sheilah Eisel, once a top sales representative for Oracle, come each week. They, along with Ann Geldzahler, a Yale graduate and lawyer, are all stay-at-home moms.

"The bottom line was, it was an emotional decision not an intellectual one," says Hall. "It doesn't make sense to give up a great job that pays a lot of money and has a lot of satisfaction for myself, just to walk away from that."

"I think about it for a little, and then I think I just, I love what I'm doing for right now. I do," says Geldzahler.

"I would say the first six months there were days that I had serious doubts, did I make the right decision," says Eisel. "Now, there's like bumps in the road but I'm very glad that I'm staying at home."

Could it really be that this generation of women, the first to achieve success without having to fight for it, is now walking away, willingly, and without regrets? Census bureau statistics show a 15 percent increase in the number of stay-at-home moms in less than 10 years.

Linda Hirshman is a lawyer, philosophy professor, and author. She didn't believe it, until she started researching the high-powered couples who announced their weddings in The New York Times in 1996.

"The first man I called answered the phone, and I told him what I was doing, and I said, 'Where's your wife?' And he said 'She's at home in Brooklyn taking care of our daughter.' And it turns out, so are all but 15 percent of the women I interviewed," says Hirshman. "Eighty-five percent of the women in my sample are staying home either full-time or part-time."

She's still in the early stages of her research, but the trend has been documented by other studies. And she's convinced it's going to be the 1950s all over again.

Why does it matter?

"These are the women that would have gone into the jobs that run our world. These were the women who would eventually have become senators, governors. These women would have been in the pipeline to be CEOs of Fortune 500 companies," says Hirshman. Staying at Home

Castro   

This story that i am about to post prooves that women can be succesful and at the same time be a stay home moms!.

I saw the 60 mins piece and the only thing it proves is marrying a rich man is the way to go if you want options. These women were afforded the choice to stay home by their high income generating husbands. Most other mothers have to work to make ends meet.

Senora   

Refreshing read.....

--You should also post about the Ivy League graduates, who, instead of taking high-paying jobs, are opting to become primary/secondary teachers!! Great Story. I think I saw it on 60 minutes too. Ciao smile.gif

STOIC   

^^^I will see if i can find any article!.

Thomas Freidman last article "If it is a muslim problem, it needs a muslim solution" was posted in Somali website.The article was misleading in saying that Islam did not condemn the action of Osama.Freidman is a prolific writer who appears in many guest column around the nation.I do admire reading his articles every sunday.I could not agree with his incitement of hatred towards the muslims when he clearly stated that No one condemn Osama.When the muslims were massacred by the Bosnian christians did Freidman and the rest of American writers blamed all of christianity?-this shows double standard on their part!.I do agree that this is a muslim problem that can be solved with the help of the muslims and humanity as whole.Instead of Freidman coming up with a thoughtful solution to this global problem, he twisted the problem toward blaming all the muslims.

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

Yesterday's bombings in downtown London are profoundly disturbing. In part, that is because a bombing in our mother country and closest ally, England, is almost like a bombing in our own country. In part, it's because one assault may have involved a suicide bomber, bringing this terrible jihadist weapon into the heart of a major Western capital. That would be deeply troubling because open societies depend on trust - on trusting that the person sitting next to you on the bus or subway is not wearing dynamite.

The attacks are also deeply disturbing because when jihadist bombers take their madness into the heart of our open societies, our societies are never again quite as open. Indeed, we all just lost a little freedom yesterday.

But maybe the most important aspect of the London bombings is this: When jihadist-style bombings happen in Riyadh, that is a Muslim-Muslim problem. That is a police problem for Saudi Arabia. But when Al-Qaeda-like bombings come to the London Underground, that becomes a civilizational problem. Every Muslim living in a Western society suddenly becomes a suspect, becomes a potential walking bomb. And when that happens, it means Western countries are going to be tempted to crack down even harder on their own Muslim populations.

That, too, is deeply troubling. The more Western societies - particularly the big European societies, which have much larger Muslim populations than America - look on their own Muslims with suspicion, the more internal tensions this creates, and the more alienated their already alienated Muslim youth become. This is exactly what Osama bin Laden dreamed of with 9/11: to create a great gulf between the Muslim world and the globalizing West.

So this is a critical moment. We must do all we can to limit the civilizational fallout from this bombing. But this is not going to be easy. Why? Because unlike after 9/11, there is no obvious, easy target to retaliate against for bombings like those in London. There are no obvious terrorist headquarters and training camps in Afghanistan that we can hit with cruise missiles. The Al Qaeda threat has metastasized and become franchised. It is no longer vertical, something that we can punch in the face. It is now horizontal, flat and widely distributed, operating through the Internet and tiny cells.

Because there is no obvious target to retaliate against, and because there are not enough police to police every opening in an open society, either the Muslim world begins to really restrain, inhibit and denounce its own extremists - if it turns out that they are behind the London bombings - or the West is going to do it for them. And the West will do it in a rough, crude way - by simply shutting them out, denying them visas and making every Muslim in its midst guilty until proven innocent.

And because I think that would be a disaster, it is essential that the Muslim world wake up to the fact that it has a jihadist death cult in its midst. If it does not fight that death cult, that cancer, within its own body politic, it is going to infect Muslim-Western relations everywhere. Only the Muslim world can root out that death cult. It takes a village.

What do I mean? I mean that the greatest restraint on human behavior is never a policeman or a border guard. The greatest restraint on human behavior is what a culture and a religion deem shameful. It is what the village and its religious and political elders say is wrong or not allowed. Many people said Palestinian suicide bombing was the spontaneous reaction of frustrated Palestinian youth. But when Palestinians decided that it was in their interest to have a cease-fire with Israel, those bombings stopped cold. The village said enough was enough.

The Muslim village has been derelict in condemning the madness of jihadist attacks. When Salman Rushdie wrote a controversial novel involving the prophet Muhammad, he was sentenced to death by the leader of Iran. To this day - to this day - no major Muslim cleric or religious body has ever issued a fatwa condemning Osama bin Laden.

Some Muslim leaders have taken up this challenge. This past week in Jordan, King Abdullah II hosted an impressive conference in Amman for moderate Muslim thinkers and clerics who want to take back their faith from those who have tried to hijack it. But this has to go further and wider.

The double-decker buses of London and the subways of Paris, as well as the covered markets of Riyadh, Bali and Cairo, will never be secure as long as the Muslim village and elders do not take on, delegitimize, condemn and isolate the extremists in their midst.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STOIC   

Ruling backs Somali refugees fired at airport Rulling Backs Somali Refugees fired at airport!

Mary Lou Pickel - Staff

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Somali refugees who lost their jobs last year cleaning planes at Atlanta's airport were discriminated against because of their national origin and Muslim religion, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said in a recent ruling.

A post-9/11 rule at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport requiring employees to take a test in English to obtain a security badge resulted in discrimination based on national origin, the Atlanta office of the EEOC said. In previous years the Somali workers had been allowed a translator while taking the multiple choice test.

The agency also found that a supervisor for Aramark Aviation Services, the company that managed the cleaners, "made disparaging remarks towards employees," the EEOC wrote in a June 28 determination.

The commission sent letters to Delta Air Lines, Hartsfield-Jackson and Aramark Aviation Services explaining the discrimination ruling.

An Aramark supervisor complained about the scarves the women wore on their heads, said Safio Mohamed, 41, a refugee who lost her job cleaning planes. The conduct was inappropriate and based on the employees' Muslim religion, the EEOC said.

"We used to wear the uniform, but we used to cover our hair, and they didn't like us to do that," Mohamed said.

An Aramark manager at Hartsfield-Jackson did not return phone calls seeking comment. The company and Delta, both considered employers, were found to have discriminated against the group based on national origin and religion.

Delta spokesman Anthony Black said that as a tenant of the airport, Delta is required to comply with the airport's security plan, which required the English-fluency test for issuance of the access badges.

The airport's rule was found to have discriminated against the group based on national origin.

The airport is reviewing the case, Hartsfield-Jackson spokeswoman Felicia Browder said. There has been no decision to change the airport's English-only test for security badges, she said.

Mohamed and two other women eventually found jobs cleaning cars for Hertz Rent A Car at the airport. Others are still unemployed, Mohamed said.

The next step is for the group of 12 Somali women and two men and their employers to negotiate a settlement, said Ali Omar, executive director of the Georgia Somali Community, a spokesman for the group.

"If that doesn't happen, then they have to go to the court," he said.

Under the federal Civil Rights Act the case would go to a jury, said Debra Schwartz, an attorney with Thompson, Rollins, Schwartz & Borowski. She is one of the lawyers representing the group. There is a $300,000 cap for awards for punitive damages and emotional distress, Schwartz said, but no caps for discrimination based on race and national origin.

Others also dismissed

Some Somalis who passed the test are still working at the airport as plane cleaners, Omar said.

After the English policy took effect last year, some Mexican and Vietnamese workers contacted Omar because they also lost their jobs.

"There are a lot of internationals who were affected the same way, but they don't speak out," Omar said. "They just go home and look for another job. But the Somalis speak out," he said.

The Somali refugees worked about seven years cleaning planes. They were dismissed in January 2004 because they could not pass the security test given in English. A passing grade was needed to acquire a badge to enter the secure area of the airport, where the planes are parked.

Tightened security

Hartsfield-Jackson officials say that after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks they moved to tighten rules on airport security badges. One way was to require employees to take the test in English when renewing the badges. An airport spokesman said it was necessary for anyone with a badge to speak English so they could follow instructions and offer assistance in case of an emergency. The airport also said it got rid of interpreters because it had a reasonable suspicion that four years ago some of the interpreters may have provided the correct answers to the test, the EEOC documents show. The agency responded that the airport never proved its suspicions and waited three years to forbid interpreters.

Hartsfield-Jackson shows workers a video about security rules before they take the test. The airport also submits workers' fingerprints to the FBI to weed out criminals.

Airports around the country have different policies on how to give badges. Some allow interpreters; others don't require a test but offer security classes

Som@li   

Man dies after sex with horse

19/07/2005 07:54 - (SA)

San Francisco - A man died of internal injuries from sex with a stallion at a ranch used by a bestiality ring, police in the northwestern United States state of Washington said on Monday.

The man suffered fatal trauma while being sodomised by a stallion at a stud farm that catered to men who wanted sex with animals, Enumclaw Police Commander Eric Sortland told AFP.

"From the medical examiner's office to the sheriff to the police detectives, we have never seen anything remotely close to what we have in the past two weeks," Sortland said.

The shocking events at the ranch were exposed after a man's body was dropped off at a hospital southeast of the city of Seattle on July 2 after his encounter with the horse.

"Basically, his colon was ruptured, along with his lower organs in that region, and he bled out," Sortland said.

A cache of hundreds of hours of videotaped man-on-beast sex sessions was found hidden in a field, Sortland said.

The animals kept at the farm included ponies, horses, goats, sheep and dogs, according to the police commander.

Images of the flock of offerings on the bestial dude ranch were relayed over the internet and records indicate men had come from throughout the United States, according to police.

"Unfortunately, these people were very diligent in filming their activities," Sortland said of a viewing task detectives have found unpleasant.

Police were still reviewing the recordings to determine the range of activities, according to the commander.

Because sex with animals is not barred by law in Washington state, no arrests have been made, according to police who nonetheless continued to investigate on Monday to determine whether any illegal activity had taken place at the ranch.

The case is being used by state legislators backing a bill that would make it illegal to have sex with beasts, Sortland said.

Source-