Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Daniel Radcliffe Calls for Somali Co-stars

Chimera   

Well done Daniel! icon14.gif, if your a lurker of SOL

Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe has called on the producers of his upcoming movie about Somalia to cast actors from the African country to keep the project authentic.

The 20 year old is preparing to film The Journey Is The Destination, in which he will play Dan Eldon, the British photojournalist whose work brought global attention to the Somali civil war in the 1990s.

And he's hoping the movie's casting directors will maintain respect for the country by hiring actors of the correct ethnicity.

He tells Empire magazine, "I don't want to do that horrible Black Hawk Down thing of filming in one part of Africa and then casting actors from a completely different area and doing that awful, 'Oh, they look the same, no one will notice the difference.'

"It's this form of very subtle racism that seems to happen sometimes and it's horrible. So I'd hope we can get extras who are Somalian, rather than from South Africa or Zimbabwe, for example."

Ridley Scott's 2001 war movie Black Hawk Down came under fire for failing to feature Somali actors despite the fact it focused on a battle that occurred in the African country.

http://www.teenholly wood.com/d/209794/10 55/daniel-radcliffe- calls-for-somali-co- stars.html

Chimera   

Lol Cadaan :D but stars do browse the internet especially if there doing research for a project, people like Christian Bale devour an entire library of books by a specific author if there doing a movie based on his/her book, maybe Daniel is doing the same and SOL is the nr 1 Somali Forum, he shows maturity and neutrality for demanding Somali actors, not many teen stars would care for such a thing, matter fact even senior actors wouldn't care.

btw there are also celebrities like Colin Farell who surf the web while drunk and battle bad reviewers :D

Chimera   

I have VHS tapes of my old school plays where my eyes always had this weird fascination with the camera even during my own dialogues, i don't think this has changed.

but where is the Casting done?

Chimera   

btw why does OLOLfilms cast such ugly looking actors? lol when will be the day where i enter a Somali film in my PS3 featuring compatriots that look like this?:

1249f0i.jpg

Maybe i should start a professional Casting company...hmmmm

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

Well done Daniel!
icon14.gif
, if your a lurker of SOL

"It's this form of very subtle racism that seems to happen sometimes and it's horrible. So I'd hope we can get extras who are Somalian, rather than from South Africa or Zimbabwe, for example."

[/url]

He said Somalian! BURN HIS FACE! :D

Chimera   

I don't take offense if a foreigner says 'Somalian', it's the most logical demonym for a person from the country Somalia since it's name ends with ia, but many don't know it's like calling Afghans/Afghanians, Iranians/ Iranis, Turks/Turkians.

Chimera   

Marx that's RICH coming from a guy who turns every little issue of the Somali community into a 'MARX'S EXCLUSIVE YOUTUBE PRODUCTION'. His pictures shifted government policies in all of the major countries into helping Somalia, what have your videos so far achieved?

Senora   

Good for Daniel.

FYI, Adam. The second picture on the bottom row to your left is Liya Kebede (an Ethio model). Maybe you meant Amira Ahmed? image1xl.jpg (She's Somali and Filipino- nevertheless, very beautiful!)

Originally posted by NGONGE:

He said Somalian!
BURN HIS FACE!
:D

That's the spirit. I will prepare the draft letter, and take for granted that you will be a cosignatory

Paragon   

Very good, Daniel.

But if you happen to know of a casting for a pirate movie, I would like you to put my name forward as: Paragon, The Pirate. A villian role would suit me very well. :D

On a serious note though, Daniel's got a good point here. Black Hawk Down's Somali dialogue was indeed distasteful. The un-Somali 'Kan Aydid Waa Leh' being the echoing memory of that film.